Status
Not open for further replies.

IgiveUgas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone had the balls to update? im waiting to update streetpass mii plaza til i have confirmation this home pass system still works...

Pretty sure someone already said it was safe to update. I just did since U.S. got the update as well. Still works. I'm just glad I can finally play Warrior's Way again now that they fixed the bug.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
i'm having issues with scripts since a few day
radio turns off and doesn't come back until i reboot my router

I also notice such issue with my Atheros-based router. Seems like I fixed it an it will be released very soon with Ubuntu support.

Reactions: keyra

grivad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do mind :) As I mentioned, not a fan of the method, but it's the only thing that has worked for me so far out of the countless ways I've tried. I'm trying a new method tomorrow and will report back.

Update: After much troubleshooting and the very helpful aid of duke_srg, the script is working and the StreetPasses are coming in (without nvram updates)! The issue was with the DD-WRT version I was running, apparently. I was running 21061 big, and after the MAC change, the interface MAC would change successfully but the WAP wouldn't come back up (making the MAC change somewhat pointless, since the WAP wouldn't broadcast). I reflashed to mini, and it's now working perfectly.. heads up to anyone else who may be having issues with it!

GreedKun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
God please, I'm trying to make this at home using the Windows 7 method, but's not working here, what should I do?? When i put the first command lines, it goes well, but when i try to change de MAC adress, the Virtual Miniport on Network Settings disappear, and I cant use the Virtual Route Manager =/

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, hope the night (or day) is going well for everyone.

I've been reading through the thread for a few days now and have today attempted to set up a Homepass point of my own. I've gotten through all of the instructions just fine, and all components seem to be working as described - except I have yet to get any Streetpasses.

For reference, here is the general set-up I'm using:

Windows 7 method
Using TP-Link Wireless N PCI Express Adapter (Model No. TL-WN881ND)
No cycling scripts running

I just installed the adapter today after buying it (Woo, Fry's Electronics!) and it works well enough. Virtual Router Manager is running fine with proper SSID, and sees my 3DS every so often in the peers connected list when it's closed and sees it every time I open it. I receive the notification that Nintendo Zone is available to me, although I can't actually access it. (No big deal to me, unless that means I've goofed something up.) As I said, no Streetpasses to be seen so far, and I've had everything running (seemingly) smoothly for a good 15 minutes now.

If there's any other info I can provide to help pinpoint whatever issue(s) I'm experiencing, I'd be glad to do so.

EDIT: I should probably mention that when I first got the Virtual Router Manager running, I found that my PC's active connection switched from the hardwired ethernet to my wireless card. Not sure if that's the natural reaction of running the setup or if it's indicative of something gone awry.

Schaapje82

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi all, hope the night (or day) is going well for everyone.

I've been reading through the thread for a few days now and have today attempted to set up a Homepass point of my own. I've gotten through all of the instructions just fine, and all components seem to be working as described - except I have yet to get any Streetpasses.

For reference, here is the general set-up I'm using:

Windows 7 method

I just installed the adapter today after buying it (Woo, Fry's Electronics!) and it works well enough. Virtual Router Manager is running fine with proper SSID, and sees my 3DS every so often in the peers connected list when it's closed and sees it every time I open it. I receive the notification that Nintendo Zone is available to me, although I can't actually access it. (No big deal to me, unless that means I've goofed something up.) As I said, no Streetpasses to be seen so far, and I've had everything running (seemingly) smoothly for a good 15 minutes now.

If there's any other info I can provide to help pinpoint whatever issue(s) I'm experiencing, I'd be glad to do so.

EDIT: I should probably mention that when I first got the Virtual Router Manager running, I found that my PC's active connection switched from the hardwire to my wireless card. Not sure if that's the natural reaction of running the setup or if it's indicative of something gone awry.
I've had the same thing. For me it turned out my wireless adapter couldn't spoof the mac-address. My husband made me check with typing "ipconfig /all" in a command promt and search for the physical address (literal translation from dutch, dunno if it's called that in english) of the wireless to see if it had the right mac.

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had the same thing. For me it turned out my wireless adapter couldn't spoof the mac-address. My husband made me check with typing "ipconfig /all" in a command promt and search for the physical address (literal translation from dutch, dunno if it's called that in english) of the wireless to see if it had the right mac.

Hmm, well that's definitely a problem. I don't think I have the same issue, though. When I check my ip info, my wireless adapter shows the spoofed mac address.

Set-up change:
I've now gone back and reconfigured which connection has the spoofed address. The address name of my wireless adapter is "Wireless Network Connection 6". Prior to now, I had the spoofed address assigned to my wired connection - NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - which has the connection name "Local Area Connection". My problem now is that in Virtual Router Manager, I don't see the option in the Shared Network menu for my wired adapter - only for the "Local Area Connection" - which is the same connection that actually showed the 3DS connecting previously. To clarify, when the set-up guide says "wired adapter", does that refer to the ethernet cable connected to my router?

I'm not sure if changing my settings since the last post has helped or hindered me overall. I hope my description of the problem isn't too confusing, any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:
Upon inspecting my cmd window, my wireless adapter, which is currently set to the spoofed address, also says "media disconnected". I can only assume that is not a good thing. I'll be around for at least the next 4 hours waiting for today's Nintendo Direct - so if anyone has some sage advice - I'm all ears.

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to start the process over from scratch, being obsessively careful to follow the directions exactly as given, and have arrived at this error message in VRM: "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation."

Here's a screenshot of how the set-up is behaving right now.

My hardware/software set-up remains the same:

Windows 7 method

lordelohim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, after nearly a month of trying different things, and different adapters and dongles and whatnot, I have reached my breaking point, my throw my arms up in frustration and ask, nay, beg for help phase. I know for sure that one of the two wireless adapters I have works, as it was set up and working, streetpasses every 10 minutes, with Virtual Router and MaCycle. After a few days, Windows installed some updates, and my computer restarted automatically, and then everything stopped working, and I didn't have the energy to spend another hour+ getting it to work again on accident, which is how I got it to work to begin with. The Windows 7 steps did not work as they are laid out. It was some combination of them that did work, but not in the order or configuration they are written in. So, wanting desperately for this to *just* work, I bought a Sanoxy repeater, the one specifically from the link, thinking "oh, I'll just plug this in and everything will work." Yeah, not so much. I can't get a connection, and I have no idea how to set it up, as there is no tutorial. A step-by-step guide, with screens would be nice. I don't even know if it is supposed to be in station or AP mode, and that goes for any of it. Ideally, I would like some personal, one on one help with this, via any means necessary; ie text, facetime, skype, email, even telephone, some way that someone could walk me through it. I can build a computer from the ground up, hardware and software, but I can't figure this out, and it's driving me nuts. I want to get it set up so that I can run a program or script, and just forget about it, and all of the 3DSes in my house, and potentially around my house will benefit.
My resources:
1 computer running Windows XP, wired connection
1 computer running Windows 7, wired connection
2 USB Wireless Dongles
Sanoxy Wi-Fi Repeater

The only "problem" I had while it was working, was that every 10 minutes when MaCycle would change the MAC address, it would also turn off my media server, which is something that needs to remain running at all times.
Someone please help me.

ArtieMcD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.artiemcdonald.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, after nearly a month of trying different things, and different adapters and dongles and whatnot, I have reached my breaking point, my throw my arms up in frustration and ask, nay, beg for help phase. I know for sure that one of the two wireless adapters I have works, as it was set up and working, streetpasses every 10 minutes, with Virtual Router and MaCycle. After a few days, Windows installed some updates, and my computer restarted automatically, and then everything stopped working, and I didn't have the energy to spend another hour+ getting it to work again on accident, which is how I got it to work to begin with. The Windows 7 steps did not work as they are laid out. It was some combination of them that did work, but not in the order or configuration they are written in. So, wanting desperately for this to *just* work, I bought a Sanoxy repeater, the one specifically from the link, thinking "oh, I'll just plug this in and everything will work." Yeah, not so much. I can't get a connection, and I have no idea how to set it up, as there is no tutorial. A step-by-step guide, with screens would be nice. I don't even know if it is supposed to be in station or AP mode, and that goes for any of it. Ideally, I would like some personal, one on one help with this, via any means necessary; ie text, facetime, skype, email, even telephone, some way that someone could walk me through it. I can build a computer from the ground up, hardware and software, but I can't figure this out, and it's driving me nuts. I want to get it set up so that I can run a program or script, and just forget about it, and all of the 3DSes in my house, and potentially around my house will benefit.
My resources:
1 computer running Windows XP, wired connection
1 computer running Windows 7, wired connection
2 USB Wireless Dongles
Sanoxy Wi-Fi Repeater

The only "problem" I had while it was working, was that every 10 minutes when MaCycle would change the MAC address, it would also turn off my media server, which is something that needs to remain running at all times.
Someone please help me.

Those of you with problems getting this to work on Windows 7... Go back to the basics and take things step by step and test before moving on to the next step.

First, the instruction given at the start of the thread is overkill for the Windows 7/8 setup. There is no need for any software other than a MAC cycler (for convenience) to get this to work... Everything is built into the OS.

If your computer connects to the home LAN wirelessly, there is no need for a hardwired connection... See the steps I posted on page 60 of this thread for setup here. If your computer requires a wired connection to you LAN... of course you need a wifi card on the computer so the DS can connect and then bridge the connection in windows which is quite trivial.

In both cases the setup is easy.

1. Create the virtual hosted network in windows. elevated cmd - "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=PASWORD".. "netsh wlan start hostednetwork"

2. TEST.... check the network connections and make sure this virtual NIC appears in your list of NIC adapters.

3. On the physical adapter (the one your computer uses to access the internet) urn on Internet connection sharing and select the "virtual adapter" as the shared resource if you are asked for one).

4. TEST... make sure the "shared" flag shows up on the physical nic. In IP config the virtual NIC should have a 192.168.137.1 IP. Take your DS... or any other computer/cell phone with Wifi and see if it can detect the attwifi network... connect to it using your password... check to make sure you are issued an ip of 192.168.137.XXX.... Check that you can access the internet from the device.

... If 4 passed.. you have done everything that needs to be done to set up the network passthrough on the computer.

5. Add the attwifi/password to your DS's network connections. remove any other valid networks at the moment (to force the ds to stay on the attwifi one).

6. TEST... On the ds.. that when you power it up, or flip the network switch that device on it's own reports "internet" and the zone present indicator is going.

Now you are ready to begin
7. change the MAC on the wireless adaptor that's hosting the virtual adapter to one of the hosted one. restart the hostednetwork and you should start to see your streetpasses come in.

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those of you with problems getting this to work on Windows 7... Go back to the basics and take things step by step and test before moving on to the next step.

First, the instruction given at the start of the thread is overkill for the Windows 7/8 setup. There is no need for any software other than a MAC cycler (for convenience) to get this to work... Everything is built into the OS.

If your computer connects to the home LAN wirelessly, there is no need for a hardwired connection... See the steps I posted on page 60 of this thread for setup here. If your computer requires a wired connection to you LAN... of course you need a wifi card on the computer so the DS can connect and then bridge the connection in windows which is quite trivial.

In both cases the setup is easy.

1. Create the virtual hosted network in windows. elevated cmd - "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=PASWORD".. "netsh wlan start hostednetwork"

2. TEST.... check the network connections and make sure this virtual NIC appears in your list of NIC adapters.

3. On the physical adapter (the one your computer uses to access the internet) urn on Internet connection sharing and select the "virtual adapter" as the shared resource if you are asked for one).

4. TEST... make sure the "shared" flag shows up on the physical nic. In IP config the virtual NIC should have a 192.168.137.1 IP. Take your DS... or any other computer/cell phone with Wifi and see if it can detect the attwifi network... connect to it using your password... check to make sure you are issued an ip of 192.168.137.XXX.... Check that you can access the internet from the device.

... If 4 passed.. you have done everything that needs to be done to set up the network passthrough on the computer.

5. Add the attwifi/password to your DS's network connections. remove any other valid networks at the moment (to force the ds to stay on the attwifi one).

6. TEST... On the ds.. that when you power it up, or flip the network switch that device on it's own reports "internet" and the zone present indicator is going.

Now you are ready to begin
7. change the MAC on the wireless adaptor that's hosting the virtual adapter to one of the hosted one. restart the hostednetwork and you should start to see your streetpasses come in.

And how exactly would one go about changing the wireless adapter's MAC in your method? Through the cmd window? Or somewhere else?

lordelohim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using your instructions, I had everything working in like 5 minutes. Now, for the other issue. Can you provide and advice or instructions to keep the cycling of MACs from interrupting my media server? Every time the MAC cycles, any video currently playing through the media server gets stopped, and I doubt I have to explain how irritating it would be to have to restart a movie every 10 minutes.

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using your instructions, I had everything working in like 5 minutes. Now, for the other issue. Can you provide and advice or instructions to keep the cycling of MACs from interrupting my media server? Every time the MAC cycles, any video currently playing through the media server gets stopped, and I doubt I have to explain how irritating it would be to have to restart a movie every 10 minutes.

Do you mind sharing how you set the MAC address on the network adapter using his method?

lordelohim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never had to. I ran MACycle, which is linked to in this thread somewhere, and it did everything for me, worked automatically. I never had to screw with the MAC myself, I only checked that it had changed using ipconfig.

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never had to. I ran MACycle, which is linked to in this thread somewhere, and it did everything for me, worked automatically. I never had to screw with the MAC myself, I only checked that it had changed using ipconfig.

Ah, alright. Good to know, thank you. I'll try that now.

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm not seeing any change in my adapter's natural MAC address in the ipconfig list, or whatever I'm supposed to be seeing the change in. Not sure if it's the attwifi MAC that should change or the card's MAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022: Great titles. I'm about to play some Pokémon Emerald. I need to lvl up +1