Not open for further replies.

The Mystical One

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Understood that it's the internet.

s'why I would post instructions and a 'please change your shirt to match before using these'. It feel like it would at least be worth the experiment. Maybe you get the right shirt color 50% of the time, and that's at least better than the very low percentages of light green, yellow, brown, orange we get now. If people actually stuck to it, it would not be useful for games where you need a mix (and happen to want certain specific colors), since you'd have to enter streepass, and thus clear out your gate), but would be nice for pumping up/evening out your populations in flower town, or for being color-heavy on Monster Manor.

Regardless, the specific-game MACs are mostly useless (though it seems there's somewhere of a 30-50% chance of an SMT4 tag from any given MAC in the full range which surprises me!) and I'd love to see something that can improve the hits from a desired game or color.

I've made my own personal mac cyclers for specific ranges (win 7 method). For scripts on routers, it might be difficult (or require swapping scripts occasionally. unsure; I've mostly not paid attention to the router or phone based methods), but for PC or Mac based systems, someone could make a nice front-end that selects a subset and warns the user. I've debated doing such, in any case. Maybe going that route, without publishing the exact MAC addresses would improve usage, if possibly lowering total numbers of people using them.

Tane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Understood that it's the internet.

s'why I would post instructions and a 'please change your shirt to match before using these'. It feel like it would at least be worth the experiment. Maybe you get the right shirt color 50% of the time, and that's at least better than the very low percentages of light green, yellow, brown, orange we get now. If people actually stuck to it, it would not be useful for games where you need a mix (and happen to want certain specific colors), since you'd have to enter streepass, and thus clear out your gate), but would be nice for pumping up/evening out your populations in flower town, or for being color-heavy on Monster Manor.

Regardless, the specific-game MACs are mostly useless (though it seems there's somewhere of a 30-50% chance of an SMT4 tag from any given MAC in the full range which surprises me!) and I'd love to see something that can improve the hits from a desired game or color.

I've made my own personal mac cyclers for specific ranges (win 7 method). For scripts on routers, it might be difficult (or require swapping scripts occasionally. unsure; I've mostly not paid attention to the router or phone based methods), but for PC or Mac based systems, someone could make a nice front-end that selects a subset and warns the user. I've debated doing such, in any case. Maybe going that route, without publishing the exact MAC addresses would improve usage, if possibly lowering total numbers of people using them.

Understood. Just wanted to make sure you knew the risk involved with it.

I am willing to entertain it. I can create a separate tab on the spreadsheet called "Shirt Colors" with explicit instructions to use the honor system. If you would like to head this up, give me a range of spoofed MACs to use, and a simple instructional paragraph - and I'll put it up on the spreadsheet.

Schaapje82

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry to bother you all, but I'm rather lost as to what I'm doing wrong. I'm on the low end of handy with computers, but routers themselves kinda stump me. That being said, I followed the instructions for setting up a connection via Windows 7... I have a connection to the network, and it is identified as a Nintendozone one, I believe. [Can't go on the internet with the 3DS but...] And yet, I have yet to receive a single Streetpass.

There's a secondary problem in using the MAC switching utilities, in that once my adapter gets reset the virtual network stops and I have to manually restart it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Same thing here. After I tried it on my android phone, I though I would give my netbook a go. But I get the same thing you mention. The 3ds finds a nintendo zone, but I don't get streetpasses. When I put my 3ds to sleep mode, it disappears from the virtual network manager. And I also have to restart it manually after switching. Any tips would be appreciated.

Reactions: WarriorKalia

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm really confused on whether the script is working for me or not.

I have a WRT54GL with DD-WRT set up and I can streetpass normally if I manually change the MAC Address.
I paste the script into Administration > Commands, then press Run Command, Save Startup and reboot router.

Still did not get any streetpass even after hours. Should I be doing anything else? I have Cron Enabled but no commands under Additional Cron Jobs.

I'm using Windows 7 if that helps.

For v.3 scripts you should only copy-paste and push Run commands, but do not push Save Startup. The script itself will add a startup script, when you hit Save Startup you cleared just created startup scipt, so you got nothing after reboot.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

If you read this thread carefully, you can notice there is already a method to get a game-specific MACs virtually compatible with all present an upcoming game titles.

justln

Trophies
XP
Country
these new scripts dont work well for me, i went back to using this.... got about 17 passes every 8 hours.

Code:
http://www.3dstxt.com/relay

script version 2-3.x works whenever it feels like it.

Wow this worked! Just got streetpass without manually changing the MAC Address, thanks for all the replies regarding my question. :)

bastalle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a mac cycling script that can be used with the xp method? Am using TMAC to manually cycle at the moment.

dapaua

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you read this thread carefully, you can notice there is already a method to get a game-specific MACs virtually compatible with all present an upcoming game titles.

I thought that you only receive data for the games you have and not the ones for games you don't. This data waits there until someone with that game claims it. And you leave new data from the games you own.
Isn't this the way it works?
If this is true, at the end, there would be data for all games in every MAC address, right?

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I thought that you only receive data for the games you have and not the ones for games you don't. This data waits there until someone with that game claims it. And you leave new data from the games you own.
Isn't this the way it works?
If this is true, at the end, there would be data for all games in every MAC address, right?

Right, until someone get it all. The purpose of dedicated MAC was to guarantee you get the streetpass for games of your choice. For popular games you can have several more streetpasses for other games from the same MAC, but for rate games it is the only option to get streetpass.

dapaua

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right, until someone get it all. The purpose of dedicated MAC was to guarantee you get the streetpass for games of your choice. For popular games you can have several more streetpasses for other games from the same MAC, but for rate games it is the only option to get streetpass.

But that someone will leave their data there, so there will be some data again...
Because now I always get data for all most of my games on every single spotpass hit.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
But that someone will leave their data there, so there will be some data again...
Because now I always get data for all most of my games on every single spotpass hit.
Assuming that streetpass initially was a point-to-point transfer, it is very possible that 3DS receiving ALL the streetpass data that was send by previous 3DS, resulting in loss of StreetPass data for games that was on the first 3DS but was not on the second.
Check only 10 common MACs and count streetpasses for infrequent games like Tekken - it won't get all 10!

dapaua

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Assuming that streetpass initially was a point-to-point transfer, it is very possible that 3DS receiving ALL the streetpass data that was send by previous 3DS, resulting in loss of StreetPass data for games that was on the first 3DS but was not on the second.
Check only 10 common MACs and count streetpasses for infrequent games like Tekken - it won't get all 10!

I didn't know that, sorry.
I was just assuming that it worked like that. Maybe I only play popular games :blink: .
Thanks for your answers.

3van

Trophies
Website
evanosaurus.com
XP
Country
United States
It seems to me like this would benefit from a web service that coordinates the assimilation and distribution of BSSIDs rather than randomly generating them and hoping for the best. Providing a mechanism for metrics to be reported would be even better, as it could take into account factors to try and limit the number of times you receive a StreetPass from the same 3DS.

A fair distribution of user-supplied (i.e. personal) MACs could also be done for those who can't change their BSSID for whatever reason. And it could modify the distribution based on volume of StreetPasses received per BSSID to try and keep it balanced.

If I wrote a service that did this and provided an API, does this sound like something anyone's interested in using? I'd also probably make a 'reference' implementation as a Linux daemon.

I also want to eventually address the (lack of) security that this introduces; I've profiled various connections from the 3DS (including SPR, Nintendo Zone, and online features from a few games) and there is a very predictable pattern of connections (and certificates, for most of them) that could be used to construct a fingerprint allowing for slightly better control over MAC filtering.

It'd also be cool to make this whole thing easier, as I'm guessing most of you guys don't really care about hacking around in conf files and setting up NAT chains. All of the involved components (on the Linux side, at least) have an interface for programatically controlling their respective services and querying info from them, so this is definitely possible. I also thought about making an image for the RPi that would come ready-to-go, but I wasn't sure how big of a userbase there was for that.

I'm pretty busy right now with other stuff, but I'll see if I can get something together in a GitHub repo this week sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Only 666 dollars for 24TBs lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Two of these half the price Seagate Barracuda Pro 12TB Internal Hard Drive Performance HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache for Computer Desktop (ST12000DM0007) (Renewed) https://a.co/d/cpVKNo1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    *Renewed. I don't like or trust "renewed, refurbished, reconditioned" anything.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I renewed your wife
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Renewed is like following Psi around on his dates, then when he done doing the deed, he taps me in without her cleaning up first, no thanks
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not being renewed that's unlocking more medical bills from stds
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Somethings maybe, but drives are rated in hours, so most likely many hours already on them. I just don't trust em for data. Maybe a used(renewed) car or something be ok tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like my girls like my car made in 2000
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like my products new, not buying a box of condoms (renewed)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You already learned from buying used condoms from the first kid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tyrone said it was barley used
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wonder whatever happened to that ownage pranks guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I dont know why people hate on Starfield, I think its dope. I didn't play it day one, only started it couple weeks ago so maybe they fixed issues with updates already.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft could release a poop simulator and people will say it's shit
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hold up hooolddd uuupppp, we're less than a week from PM:TTYD releasing and it has not leaked yet? :o Miracles do still exist in this dystopia 🤣
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True. People hated on Fallout 76 at first also, but they still have huge numbers playing online.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is PM:TTYD
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
    I think I played that one
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (i.e. Nintendos' next first party switch title/remake)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meh, I want metroid 4
    I have a refurbished hard drive like 8TBs just use it for movies and music so if it blows up nothing I can't replace lol
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I mean almost every first party switch title of the past year or two leaked at least a week in advance for a while now haven't they?
    Quincy @ Quincy: I mean almost every first party switch title of the past year or two leaked at least a week in...