Misc How to hard reset a japanese wiiu? i dont have NNID or parental control pin

Pixel_Astronaut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Hi, i got a japanese wii u, but i cant even access the menu, since its parent blocked and with NNID associated.
Is there a way to hard reset the wiiu? maybe making a jumper on the motherboard or something like that? i called nintendo america but they cant help since the account is from japan.

PD: i saw something about a factory menu triggered with a raspberry pico, is there a way to do this with a pc or an android cellphone?

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't run into such issue myself, but I do know about mkey generator website that helps with removing parental controls by generating master key. Hope it helps somehow!
It doesn't work if you can't get in the menu since the wii u won't give an inquiry number if you fail to input the parental lock. I bought a used wii u and the same happened to me, in my case I force-guessed the pin but the console didn't have any memory left to create a user and I couldn't get into the menu. However what he can try is to press and hold the “-” “+” and “Y” buttons in the I forgot menu

• Sad
Reactions: Blythe93

Pixel_Astronaut

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
It doesn't work if you can't get in the menu since the wii u won't give an inquiry number if you fail to input the parental lock. I bought a used wii u and the same happened to me, in my case I force-guessed the pin but the console didn't have any memory left to create a user and I couldn't get into the menu. However what he can try is to press and hold the “-” “+” and “Y” buttons in the I forgot menu
i tried this but i dont know why but it looks like japanese wiiu doesnt have the "i forget" option, i try the 3 errors but doenst get the option
Post automatically merged:

I haven't run into such issue myself, but I do know about mkey generator website that helps with removing parental controls by generating master key. Hope it helps somehow!
sadly this doesnt work if you have a linked nnid account :c

• Sad

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you can reset the code with the recovery menu like you mentioned. The pico may be the cheapest way. You can also use a switch running cfw, I believe.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Or you can just call nintendo and have them help you . I've read stories of people buying a used wii u and calling them in order to deactivate the parental lock and even remove the NNID from the console, I've read they don't ask that many questions but can't be sure.

Thing is, wii u simply doesn't have a "I forgot pin" button if you can't get to home menu, I've tried several times. Other option would be to start guessing the pin code

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you can just call nintendo and have them help you . I've read stories of people buying a used wii u and calling them in order to deactivate the parental lock and even remove the NNID from the console, I've read they don't ask that many questions but can't be sure.

Thing is, wii u simply doesn't have a "I forgot pin" button if you can't get to home menu, I've tried several times. Other option would be to start guessing the pin code
He said they wouldn't help since it's a Japanese account.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by zekro94,
Reactions: godreborn

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
True, but it isn't like there are plenty of homebrews for other systems that could brick a device if used incorrectly.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
i tried this but i dont know why but it looks like japanese wiiu doesnt have the "i forget" option, i try the 3 errors but doenst get the option
Post automatically merged:

sadly this doesnt work if you have a linked nnid account :c

The option is at the top right. Use your phone to help translate the text if you are having trouble reading.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You could have guessed the pin multiple times now, see this:
Luckily the PIN is only 4 digits long, in worst case I have to test 9999 combinations. Annoying, but with enough time this one is also solveable. I gave it a few tries but moved on to the other consoles. When I came back later, I systematically tried out all birthdates (this reduced the number of possible PINs down to 366!) and after ~30 minutes and ~250 tries I was in. Apperantly the birthdate of the previous owner is November 26th :)
Another locked console like console 2. This time I only needed a few tries as the PIN was 0505 which seemed like an obvious pattern to try. Probably the old console owners birthdate was May 5th though :D
Source: https://maschell.github.io/other/2020/11/21/bought-8-consoles.html

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
I remember after a few tries it gets you back to the start screen and you can try again to enter the pin. Sucks that you can't deactivate it unless you get to the wii u's homescreen

cooldat92

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
ok i tried everything, but finally the pi pico was the solution.
BTW i used a rp 2040 not a pi pico, because i could find an original one anywhere
How did you get it done? I was able to get a pico and successfulyl access the recovery menu. What do I need to do from there?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: