Hardware How the hell do I update with no internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a poor bastard with other things that I have to spend my money on rather than internet service. So if I were to take my WiiU up to Mcdonalds, would I be able to see everything I need to on the gamepad to update, or do I need to invest in a small monitor? I have an easycap, but I never been able to get it set up right.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
if you have a mobile phone unlimited plan on your tariff you could always tether a connection to your wii u and update that way, i just don't see brining a $300+ console to a public place practical at all, how are you going to get power to the wii u console when you are in mc donnalds? have you thought about that?

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have these things called outlets. See, what you do is you plug the two pronged chord of your device into the two holed outlet, and electricity flows through your device, bringing it to life! It's a far out concept, I know...

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They have these things called outlets. See, what you do is you plug the two pronged chord of your device into the two holed outlet, and electricity flows through your device, bringing it to life! It's a far out concept, I know...

FYI dude, you're a fucking dick. If you do that, with that kind of attitude I hope you get robbed of your WiiU.

McDonalds near me, they don't have outlets for customers to use. There's none.

Reactions: Eighteen and jax604

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well not all Mcdonalds are created equal, I guess. I suppose that I didn't stop to consider that there are those that don't realize that. I am so sorry. And everyone is entitled to their opinion. If anyone has a useful opinion, please don't hesitate to let me know. :)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well not all Mcdonalds are created equal, I guess. I suppose that I didn't stop to consider that there are those that don't realize that. I am so sorry. And everyone is entitled to their opinion. If anyone has a useful opinion, please don't hesitate to let me know. :)

Except he did. He said if you have a phone, tether it.

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need for an extra monitor wherever you go, as long as you have the gamepad you can navigate the screens. Just be aware when it updates the gamepad itself (part of the update process) it will go blank for a few while it does its thing. Might want to try a Panera really, they always have tons of outlets in the dining area and it's a little less hectic, last time I use McD's Wifi I had to go out to the play area to get an outlet... :\

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if I did that, ShadowSoldier,then I would have internet, wouldn't I?

No need for an extra monitor wherever you go, as long as you have the gamepad you can navigate the screens. Just be aware when it updates the gamepad itself (part of the update process) it will go blank for a few while it does its thing. Might want to try a Panera really, they always have tons of outlets in the dining area and it's a little less hectic, last time I use McD's Wifi I had to go out to the play area to get an outlet... :\

Thanks, HaTaX, I appreciate the insight. My only other concern is the download time for the update. I've heard of some taking around 3 hours to download it. Is this with a high speed connection? Sometimes I can download at 300kbps, other times it slows to a crawl.

My worry is about Mcdonalds having a 2 hour kick off time with their internet. Don't want to sit up here for 2 hours when it takes 3 to download, only to brick my wiiu because of a lost connection.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Does WiiU had ability to connect over proxy ?

I mean most mcdonalds I've visit they use this thing called chillispot or something like that
they didn't protect their network with wpe/wpa/wpa2 and other protocol things

so it's open network, but you have to ask their username & password to be able to log on to their network.
I've tried with DSi, it failed since it has no ability to do it
Blackberry & android had no problem with this.

so... you can't afford Internet but WiiU is ok?
How about asking store to update it for you
usually they also do this update things for free, since you buy things from them.

But then again, was wondering what is the point to update if you had no internet connection either?
is there any games required new firmware version or something like that?

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, HaTaX, I appreciate the insight. My only other concern is the download time for the update. I've heard of some taking around 3 hours to download it. Is this with a high speed connection? Sometimes I can download at 300kbps, other times it slows to a crawl.

My worry is about Mcdonalds having a 2 hour kick off time with their internet. Don't want to sit up here for 2 hours when it takes 3 to download, only to brick my wiiu because of a lost connection.

That's a good concern, 2 hours should be more than enough time to complete it on a reasonable connection, but I'd have that thought in the back of my head once I started it as you can't cancel it... Another good place to try would be your local library, many of them offer free wifi and you should be able to find a plug there. I don't think they have logins or time limits either so you should be set there, give them a call and ask if they offer it and such.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard that the WiiU downloads the update in the background if you're connected to the internet. Once it finishes you won't have to be connected to update it. With that being said you could go to MCDonalds have it download the update. (Reconnect if you disconnect if it takes two hours.) Then update. I'm not sure how it'll notify you it's done downloading the update, but if you go home and it says there's an update. Then it finished downloading it.

EDIT: Here. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/wii_u_system_update_can_be_downloaded_in_the_background

Reactions: pelago

PizzaPino

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
why dont you just go to friends and do it there?
and i dont know if you need the update if you can't even use the internet functions?

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't some games, some non internet applications and even wii mode require/benefit from updating? From what I read wii mode don't work straight out the box. Also might try the system transfer. Anyone know if you have to update the wii to make it work and if so, does it try to thwart any present or future homebrew?

matt1tude

Trophies
XP
Country
i find that having to have an internet connection to do the day 1 update is rather ridiculous. there are people out there without an internet connection. I would've thought the update would be bundled on the launch game discs or a separate disc in the box. I think that's a bit narrow minded on Nintendo's part, automatically presuming their customers have an internet connection.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i find that having to have an internet connection to do the day 1 update is rather ridiculous. there are people out there without an internet connection. I would've thought the update would be bundled on the launch game discs or a separate disc in the box. I think that's a bit narrow minded on Nintendo's part, automatically presuming their customers have an internet connection.
Yeah, that would be the best way to do it. But the thing is the update might not have been ready in time for them to ship out discs to all the stores in time for launch, and it certainly wasn't ready when the Wii U's were produced, so they couldn't put it in the box either.

For the EU launch it's a different thing, they have had the update ready for long enough to ship discs worldwide, even to countries with notoriously slow post service, like most of Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom