Hardware How the hell do I update with no internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. I managed to save up enough money to buy a WiiU, but you see I have other monthly bills that I have to pay off that prevent me from adding another one such as internet service. The same way how just because somebody buys a new car doesn't necessarily make them a freakin millionaire.

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya know... If I didn't have to buy gas, then I could afford to buy internet, but then I couldn't get to work, so I wouldn't be able to afford anything.

Though I fail to see your logic, as internet is not a prerequisite for owning a WiiU, nor is it a fair assumption to think that if someone has a WiiU that they must already have internet.

groovysan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya know... If I didn't have to buy gas, then I could afford to buy internet, but then I couldn't get to work, so I wouldn't be able to afford anything.

Though I fail to see your logic, as internet is not a prerequisite for owning a WiiU, nor is it a fair assumption to think that if someone has a WiiU that they must already have internet.

this, despite the fact that you're posting on the internet (frequently!), and asking the internet how to make your wii u work without internet (???).

the firmware update is a 5gb download. it is HUGE. i would NOT trust public wifi to safely make the update.

also: the image of you dragging your wii u, AND a monitor, to either a Panera Bread or McDonald's and waiting around for HOURS for a firmware update is like something out of a david lynch movie. maybe there is an alternative.

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I go to public places frequently or use my dads phone to use the internet....this feels like its trying to go a negative route by way of some argumentative individuals...

The purpose of my O.P. was to find out the best way to go about updating when one does not have internet of their own, NOT to disect and contradict my posts and question how it is that I post here frequently without having my own internet.

Further more, and I cannot stress this enough, I am on a very limited budget and cannot afford even the cheapest internet every month at this point in time, further reasoning my O.P.
That is all.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Spends $300 on a new console who's primary draw is internet connected services"

"Can't afford internet"

:blink:

If I were you, I'd return that console for a full refund and save that 300 dollars for any emergencies. If you're so budget constrained that internet is something you can't afford, I wouldn't be spending that kind of money on a toy. Especially since you'll be able to get that same toy in 6 months used for half to 2/3rds what you paid for it now.

Not trying to be a smartass, but seriously trying to help you out here. Does buying this thing now really advance any of your long term financial goals?

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[RANT] *sigh* I grow tired of people criticizing and nitpicking how I buy a WiiU when I don't have the internet, because I can't afford another monthly bill right now. The WiiU's primary function is to play disc based games, btw, the internet just helps with the extra shit. And to those who dare mock me I have this to say. Look, A$$hole, it's christmas and I've decided to buy something nice for the family. I posted this topic in hopes of getting some useful information, and I'd like to thank those who decided to provide helpful suggestions and leave their snarky attitudes out of it, instead of giving me shit. (Yes I have thought about how to power my WiiU in McDonalds, it's the same damn way I've been powering my laptop all this time. And I can just put the WiiU in the seat next to me and throw my jacket over it and no one would be the wiser)[/RANT]

To all those who offered friendly advice, I wish you a happy holiday. Now if a friendly passing mod would kindly lock this topic. :)

Reactions: megazig

dtp30

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does Maccas in the US not have a 50MB limit on there WiFi like they do have here in AU??? That would stop ANY update....

Hasney

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The update just adds online features. Since you don't have internet, there's no point. Just wait until a game requires it and it will update from the disc.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
[RANT] *sigh* I grow tired of people criticizing and nitpicking how I buy a WiiU when I don't have the internet, because I can't afford another monthly bill right now. The WiiU's primary function is to play disc based games, btw, the internet just helps with the extra shit. And to those who dare mock me I have this to say. Look, A$$hole, it's christmas and I've decided to buy something nice for the family. I posted this topic in hopes of getting some useful information, and I'd like to thank those who decided to provide helpful suggestions and leave their snarky attitudes out of it, instead of giving me shit. (Yes I have thought about how to power my WiiU in McDonalds, it's the same damn way I've been powering my laptop all this time. And I can just put the WiiU in the seat next to me and throw my jacket over it and no one would be the wiser)[/RANT]

To all those who offered friendly advice, I wish you a happy holiday. Now if a friendly passing mod would kindly lock this topic. :)
Then how can you connect to this website?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
There's no reason to update if you have no intention to use the Internet on it.

Just for the record, The Wii-U is an Internet-centric console. Miiverse is the main draw of it, second only to playing disc based games.

You are also getting a little flamey, so if you don't want this topic closed, keep it to a minimum. And by minimum, I mean stop.

Reactions: crono141

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The update also allows wii mode,as previously covered. Also I never stated that I never planned on using internet with it, just that I can't afford it right now.

Just for the record, I am not flaming anyone, I am merely letting it be known that I refuse to silently take crap from people whose main purpose in posting it seems is to antagonize me, and contradict what I say in an attempt to make me look stupid, just so their own egos may be boosted. Their demeanor in which they posted their responses was not needed and did nothing to contribute to the purpose of this thread.

Further more, by all means go ahead and lock this topic. In fact, that is what I requested in my last post (remember that?) as this thread seems to have run its course.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The update just adds online features. Since you don't have internet, there's no point. Just wait until a game requires it and it will update from the disc.
This.
I would also patiently wait for a game that requires an update, rest assured the update will be on the disc.
Problem solved !
Just hang on in there a little longer, or just go to a friend's house ( or a relative, you must have somebody ! ) with a good, reliable internet connection and do it there while chilling out with a couple of beers.

And nobody should know or care about your financial situation, it's enough to say you don't have an internet connection at home for whatever reason, or you have a really crappy one and you're looking for an alternative ;)

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait for a game with the update on the disc.
Yeeeeaaahhh.....I'm pretty sure that they're not gonna include a 5GB update on a game disc.

Anyways Drakorex, I'm with Arm73 on this one. Try to get to a friend or family members house who has an active internet connection and get the thing updated. I do think the whole day 1 update is crap and Nintendo should be ashamed of themselves for not getting everything in order before launch.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeeeeaaahhh.....I'm pretty sure that they're not gonna include a 5GB update on a game disc.

Anyways Drakorex, I'm with Arm73 on this one. Try to get to a friend or family members house who has an active internet connection and get the thing updated. I do think the whole day 1 update is crap and Nintendo should be ashamed of themselves for not getting everything in order before launch.
how long does it take to flash a nand chip? Yeah thats why theres a day 1 update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality