How often do you swear?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swearing is definitely a very complex topic, why certain words mean the things they do, why they are considered bad and so on, this video explains it pretty well

I do admit, it's something I struggle with and it's something I'm trying to overcome.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Way too much. It's a bad habit left over from my youth and for both religious and other reasons(manners) I've been trying to reduce the amount of nasty language I use. Old habits die hard but yeah I definitely use way too much bad language casually & habitually.

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All the time I find I do it in the same places too I lost a £5 bet to one of me mates because I swore in the same place on the way back that I always do.
Also I say "my arse" all the time to mostly anything.

Reactions: VinsCool

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never fucking swear, why the fuck would I fucking want to motherfucking swear at the perfectly damn good fucking members of this totally-not-shitty site? Swearing is fucking retarded and only the biggest assholes would want to have their fucking sentences filled with fucking useless fucking swear words! What the fuck!

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like 500 times a day. 99% of the time it's a joke.
Online? Almost never.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Go figure.

Reactions: Yil

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
But even so, it is at least somewhat peculiar that the same word means "jurar" (to make an oath) and "decir palabrotas/malas palabras" (to say a swear/curse word).
Well, the English word 'swear' comes from Old English 'swerian' which comes from an old Germanic term related to the verb meaning 'answer'. The meaning of the word 'answer' is different now, but perhaps was used historically in the contexts of using obscene language and also making an oath. The context of usage nowadays is different, but the modern word derived from the Old English has remained the same for both, which is why it has multiple meanings. This doesn't imply any shared meaning in the word, only that both meanings came from the same root word.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for(1024) print("SHIT!!!!"); (pretty sure seen for(int) somewhere)
It's more like:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
for ( int x; x < 10; ++x ) {
cout<<"SHIT!!!!\n";
}
}

Simple stuff!

EDIT: I swear infrequently. Only if there is a damn good reason to (like for the sake of irony...).

Last edited by Logan Pockrus,

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Swearing is definitely a very complex topic, why certain words mean the things they do, why they are considered bad and so on, this video explains it pretty well

I do admit, it's something I struggle with and it's something I'm trying to overcome.

That was fascinating. I particularly liked his description of the different functions of swearing, which totally fits with my perception of it. What I still don't understand is why anything other than the abusive form is still considered to be offensive. What was not discussed in that video was the opposite process of previously acceptable words taking on an obscene meaning. Even the current most offensive swear word 'c**t' (censored for the sensitive) has previously been used in an English road name and was once an anatomical term. (NSFW link).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm a multi I can witch from dick to vag at will +1