Gaming How much is this worth?

Twilight Loz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last year, I built a computer. The parts in total cost approx £430-460. These are the things in my comp:
Asus M4a785-TD V -Evo Motherboard
AMD Phenom x2 II 550 3.1GHz (if overclocked, it will be a quad core cpu)
Nvidia 9800Gt Geoforce
500GB SATAII HDD
4GB DDR3
750W PSU - Antec
DVD Drive
Case

If i forgot anything else, then add them onto the list above.

If I sell it, how much would I get?

and on average, if you made a comp with all the latest parts and then sold it, then how much profit would you get?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You would get as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

For the listed comp, I would imagine £350-400.

If you made a comp with all the latest parts, it'd sell for around £1000-1500, depending on the choices made when picking parts (e.g. SSD). When converting to dollars, make it around $1300-2000. As for how much profit you get... that entirely depends on how much someone is willing to pay for the service of finding the parts and putting it together. In other words, don't try and make a business out of it unless you are very good at sourcing parts at cheaper-than-market prices (knowing someone who works for a major manufacturer like Dell helps there).

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Twilight Loz said:
Last year, I built a computer. The parts in total cost approx £430-460. These are the things in my comp:
Asus M4a785-TD V -Evo Motherboard
AMD Phenom x2 II 550 3.1GHz (if overclocked, it will be a quad core cpu)
Nvidia 9800Gt Geoforce
500GB SATAII HDD
4GB DDR3
750W PSU - Antec
DVD Drive
Case

If i forgot anything else, then add them onto the list above.

If I sell it, how much would I get?

and on average, if you made a comp with all the latest parts and then sold it, then how much profit would you get?
A selling trick, or just being an idiot?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Twilight Loz said:
it originally has 4 cores, but AMD locked 2 cores. Overclocking it unlocks those 2 cores (if overclocked properly)Often times the cores are locked because they're bad.
If you do want to add the 'unlocking' part as a selling point do some research first and find out if you actually CAN unlock it safely, or provide the necessary information for others to do so.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/unlock...om-ii,2273.html
QUOTE said:
Every so often, a story breaks that goes a little something like this: manufacturer x, known for its flagship product y, recently started offering a mid-range product z based on silicon that wouldn’t bin up to y. Rather than throw the entire die out, x disables one part and sells it off as z—something less expensive.

Much of the time—it’d be disingenuous of me to guess how often, exactly—this happens because part of the die is really defective. But sometimes a vendor simply needs to fill in a price gap in its lineup where a competitor is eating its lunch. ATI’s Radeon HD 4830. Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 260. AMD’s Phenom II X3 700- and 800-series. These are all parts based on more expensive components

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenom_II
QUOTE said:
Beginning with the AM3 versions, Phenom II CPUs are based on two dies: the original Deneb die with four cores and the new Thuban die with six. These are divided into five series for marketing. The first two series are flagships based on full dies. The other three series are formed from Deneb dies by die harvesting, that is, chips that were produced with some amount of defects. The affected portions of these chips are disabled and the chips themselves marked as a lower-grade product.[1]
Some versions of the Phenom II X2 and X3, however, have no defects in the silicon but one or two cores "deactivated" to enable AMD to target the lower end of its market.[12] As a result, with the correct motherboard and BIOS it is possible to unlock the deactivated core(s) of the processor. However, success is not guaranteed, because in some cases the core(s) may have been deactivated due to faulty silicon. Hardware enthusiast websites have collected and summarized anecdotal reports that, overall, indicate about a 70% success rate,[13] but these reports likely have self-reporting bias, and more importantly, it is impossible to know whether an unlocked core is truly bug-free or just works "well enough" for the particular individual making the report.[original research?]

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
I remember hearing that there is a high chance of instability when unlocking extra cores in AMD CPUs. It's better just to use it as it was originally designed.
yeah , it was only before that people were lucky to get quad cores or even triple .
most of the AMD Phenom II x2s are defective x4s that had unstable cores thus' making them into dual cores .
after a few people had stable Phenom II x2s with 2 more cores unlocked , the demand was high for these CPUs . so to satisfy the demand , AMD made more and some were just x4s labeled as x2s .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: rule 63 went too far nowadays