Hacking How likely is it that the Wii U could emulate PS2 games?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean once it gets hacked of course. I really don't expect it to happen. Because of the different architecture of both systems. But it would be so freaking awesome if it happened. I recently had to buy a new PS3 because my launch one broke. And of course it doesn't have PS2 backward compatibility. :(

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
PS3 has a better CPU and memory bandwidth, coded to metal by professionals at Sony and still can not emulate all games.
So no. Not possible.

yafaiz

Old Salt
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ps3 does not have a better memory bandwidth. Ps3 has 256mb of DDR3ram and 256mb of Vram combined to make up 512mb of total memory.

WiiU has 2gb Total ram on 1 chip.

Of course that is not to say PS2 emulation is possible still.

Reactions: Pattonfiend67

lampjese

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
lotus-gaming.org
XP
Country
Netherlands
They can try to make it, but it wont be fun to play with on just 1 to 3 frames per second like dolphin in the early years.
And n64 is not even emulated that well, don`t think the cpu is up for it.

B.alpha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Could you please provide a source?
I didn't know there was a Dreamcast emulator for the Wii.

Regarding the Playstation 2 emulation, I agree with Oxybelis, but even so we still don't know what the Wii U is capable of,
maybe there is someone enthusiastic enough to achieve a miracle.

But to be honest can you imagine to run games like Zone of Enders 2 on the Wii U?
Just watch this video and how many effects are running simultaneously.

The PS2 emulator had to be heavily optimised for the console and even on the PC it takes a really good Computer to run that game.

Regardless of the reality i would really wish for PS2 for the Wii U.

Plunt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In short answer no, not saying that the Wii U doesn't have the 'balls' to do it... Someone would just REALLY have to optimize any existing PS2 emulator to run on the Wii U. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised a few years after someone is able to run their own code on the Wii U that some form of rudimentary PS2 emulator will be released. As for playing games at a 'playable' framerate, that's just speculation.

Satan2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Most likely not. Both machines are too different, both different architectures, different way to process the datas, ... It would be a tremendous work. Technically the WiiU is able to achieve better performance than PS3 and X360, BUT you have to remember that even Sony with its own hardware has ceased to work on a PS2 emulation on PS3 (at first PS3 had the hardware then dropped the hardware to reduce costs and try an emulated solution which failed)... So i can hardly imagine a bunch of poeple making / porting an emulator on a different architecture when even its manufacturer failed at making it with their full devellopement kit.

We don't even have access to the WiiU mode yet, so don't even imagine a development kit...

To get an emulator we need :
- Full access on the hardware
- A good knowledge of its hardware (even if its base is close from the wii there are lots of novelties on the graphic component. And most of it are needed to fairly use its real power -> even game developers struggle with the CPU and don't dedicate enough ressources to the GPU which lead to hick ups and slowdowns on WiiU version of ported games)
- An optimized base to start from (and PCSX2 has never been intended to be ported on console)
- Documented libs and chaintools (not provided and not even developed at the moment)

So don't even think about the specs when you don't have access on the hardware and a stable and well developped set of tools to get it's full performance. It's useless to speculate like that.

Reactions: Plunt

twiddler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember playing N64 emulator on my Pentium 166 and Voodoo graphics card, full frame rate. So anything is possible. I'd be interested in playing Gamecube games on the Wii U

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I find it interesting that people are citing the fact that Sony could not get emulation working perfectly on the PS3, but they gave up after not trying very hard for very long. The early PS3 models didn't really do much emulating, they included the Emotion Engine and graphics synthesizer. Later PS3's emulated the EE and kept the GS, so emulation was worked on for a while. Even then, nobody knows how many people worked on compatibility fixes, but I can't see Sony plunging a ton of money into it. They'd got the PS3 through the initial launch where old games are required to balance out the lack of new games, by this point there were enough PS3 games to lessen the requirement for backwards compatibility.

Another thing to note is that CFW allowed people to emulate some PS2 games without the EE or GS chips, and the Power-based Cell is a different architecture to the MIPS-based Emotion Engine. Let's not forget that, like the PS3, the Wii U is Power-based so architecture isn't going to be the defining limitation. Using the PS3 and Sony's official attempt at BC as a comparison isn't a great idea because we don't know all the factors.

That all being said, while I think it's probably possible for the Wii U to emulate PS2 games as well as a non-BC PS3, I really don't see it happening due to the amount of work involved.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember playing N64 emulator on my Pentium 166 and Voodoo graphics card, full frame rate. So anything is possible. I'd be interested in playing Gamecube games on the Wii U

Only because it used high-level emulation and used one helluva speed hack, the no. of games it ran was abysmal though. I remember UltraHLE didn't emulate the C-stick and you got stuck on Ocarina of Time whenever you learned a new song.

mike333

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I mean once it gets hacked of course. I really don't expect it to happen. Because of the different architecture of both systems. But it would be so freaking awesome if it happened. I recently had to buy a new PS3 because my launch one broke. And of course it doesn't have PS2 backward compatibility. :(
Just buy PS2.
I know, it is so much pain to have another box under TV an try to connect them all trough RGB/SCART at once.
PS2 is a pain to emulate and uber pain to emulate in cycle exact mode.

Here is related story:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Reactions: Izen

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, the furthest I got with an HLE-focused emulator was Super Mario 64 on Corn.

Ocarina of Time ran full speed, but the lens flare/lighting effects were FUBAR.

As for cycle-accurate Snes emulation, I'd rather not elaborate as to why I don't accept Byuu's views on emulation. Too many bad memories.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto