How do you become a GBAtemp Moderator?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do good for the community and make good choices.

Moderators are chosen by other moderators and staffers, not by any type of post count or whatever.

And Hadrian was a moderator, he just retired a while ago.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Do good for the community and make good choices.

Moderators are chosen by other moderators and staffers, not by any type of post count or whatever.

And Hadrian was a moderator, he just retired a while ago.

Thought so...I could probably never be a mod because im not on Temp as much as a mod should be on a forum and I hate being in charge at times (big responsibility)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be a mod, you really just have to contribute to the community as a whole, and be helpful to others when they need it.

You can't just ask.
smile.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The staff may discuss from time to time what people they want to add to the Moderating team. There's no post count requirement. Higher postcount will probably make more people recognize you though, so it does help a little (as long as they're useful posts of course).

I can tell you it's not as fun as it may look though
tongue.gif

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
tj_cool said:
The staff may discuss from time to time what people they want to add to the Moderating team. There's no post count requirement. Higher postcount will probably make more people recognize you though, so it does help a little (as long as they're useful posts of course).
I help people too! Well, I helped 1 person on the "Ask GBAtemp!" system, and got voted as "Best Answer". And I made a WOOD firmware for R4-pro clones. But I geuss thats not enough...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AlanJohn said:
tj_cool said:
I help people too! Well, I helped 1 person on the "Ask GBAtemp!" system, and got voted as "Best Answer". And I made a WOOD firmware for R4-pro clones. But I geuss thats not enough...
No its really not. To be a moderator, on any forum, you need to be very active, post a lot of HELPFUL stuff, abide by the rules, be in the forums for a long time etc.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
No its really not. To be a moderator, on any forum, you need to be very active, post a lot of HELPFUL stuff, abide by the rules, be in the forums for a long time etc.

And that's why I could probably never be a mod...I broke the rules once (I asked for a rom....Should have read the rules), Most of my post aren't necessarily helpful, and in almost three years I've barely made it to 1,000 post (vs people who've been here after me and have mroe posts = more active)

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
The Pi said:
Being active and helpful and I don't think you'd become a mod on this forum after only being here 13 days...

i was hoping he wasn't thinking that...He is probably asking for future reference so he'll know what to do to become one in the future

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
AlanJohn said:
tj_cool said:
You helped yourself and voted yourself best answer
rolleyes.gif
and sadly making a wood firmware for another card doesn't really count too much or a lot of people would be mod by now. To be honest you can't just become a mod because you want to be one or asked to be one. You need to prove you can be a mod and those who want to be one, normally are power hungry and end up acting just like Overlord Nadrian.
A better goal would be to want to be a regular helpful member who is productive on the Temp, funny, and just being yourself, from there you because a respectable regular and then might have a small chance of being part of the Staff, but really that takes quite some time.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Good character, loyalty to the site, intelligence, activity and trustworthiness are very important factors. Helpfulness of course, providing the staff with good quality unbiased reports is another. During the last round of promotions last year there was a wide spectrum of post counts to the staff that were added. We had people like Tj who had five thousand posts in a year, and others like Vulpes and I who had around less than two thousand when we were promoted. So yeah, postcount really means nothing when people are considered.

tj_cool said:
I can tell you it's not as fun as it may look though
tongue.gif

If only they knew, being a mod is rarely ever "fun".
tongue.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
First, don't post around how you want to be one. That's pretty much a "seal your fate as not being one" action on most forums. You don't have to be a mod to be helpful. I'm always posting so many guides and stuff around here that I made like 5 stickies before I even became mag staff, and I've got over 8K posts in a year. Specifically wanting to become a mod isn't a good sign, it shows people you just want the powers or position, but you don't actually need those to help the community.

Second, patience. Sites that pick staff after seeing somebody for only a few days tend to be the sites with staff problems, because they give people powers without making sure they won't abose them (or can make fair decisions). I don't know what sort of forums you go on where people made mod within 2 days even though they don't deserve it because they say cool things, but that's not here.

REAL SECRET TO BECOMING A MOD (show)

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
AlanJohn said:
Just for you all to know- I DON'T WANT TO BE A MODERATOR!!! I was just asking because I was curius. And only a true retard would want to be on the forumns 24/7 only earning a colored name.

If your referring to what Monkat said im sure he was joking about the colored name thing lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU