Hardware How are people not bothered with how dull and washed out the colors are on TN screens?

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone who makes fun of people who prefer IPS over TN:

It's one thing to look at pictures and video comparisons online, but if you ever get the chance to compare IPS vs TN in-person, with your own eyes, you will see the difference.

IPS: Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I've send a mail to Nintendo Support for know if it's possible to exchange my 2 screen in the warranty or get a new system before, transfer the data, and send the old with tn instead.

I'all keep you posted
I've called Nintendo before, and asked this same question. They will most likely tell you that they will not help you, because your system is technically not defective. If you send in your system, they will send it back without working on it at all. Even if you have dead/stuck pixels, they would probably replace the screen(s) with whatever they have on-hand.

Last edited by Smash Br0,

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's one thing to look at pictures and video comparisons online, but if you ever get the chance to compare IPS vs TN in-person, with your own eyes, you will see the difference.

IPS: Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I've called Nintendo before, and asked this same question. They will most likely tell you that they will not help you, because your system is technically not defective. If you send in your system, they will send it back without working on it at all. Even if you have dead/stuck pixels, they would probably replace the screen(s) with whatever they have on-hand.
I don't think people are making fun of you, we just don't care enough to get an IPS screen. They also both have their advantages depending on your needs...

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

IPS: Don't knock it until you've tried it..
I owned both an N3DS XL with dual TN and another N3DS XL with dual IPS. I don't know if it's different from consoles to consoles but I actually don't notice the difference. And no the TN screens are not even that bad in the first place. In the end I sold the dual IPS for money because there are people who pay 300+ eur for them lmao.
So maybe your TN screens are the worst of its kind, or your IPS are the best of its kind. But I'm satisfied with the dual TN.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course. What does being 240p have to do with it?

People buy PVM's to play retro games and get the best image from their old systems even though they're 240p. This is similar.
I've never heard of people doing that, even though I have heard of people hooking retro game consoles to HD TVs through RCA to HDMI adapters just to get HD retro gameplay XD. I'll agree it is kind of similar, but the TN vs IPS debate is kind of trivial because both screens have certain advantages...

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never heard of people doing that, even though I have heard of people hooking retro game consoles to HD TVs through RCA to HDMI adapters just to get HD retro gameplay XD. I'll agree it is kind of similar, but the TN vs IPS debate is kind of trivial because both screens have certain advantages...

Well, it's pretty common with retro gaming.

IPS advantages outweight TN advantages. CRT's have advantages over the modern LED HDTV's, but they were phased out because flat TV's had more of them.

TN screens use less energy than IPS, but where are the tests actually quantifying this? Is the difference between the two 3ds's a few minutes, an hour, a couple of hours? I haven't seen any real tests.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's pretty common with retro gaming.

IPS advantages outweight TN advantages. CRT's have advantages over the modern LED HDTV's, but they were phased out because flat TV's had more of them.

TN screens use less energy than IPS, but where are the tests actually quantifying this? Is the difference between the two 3ds's a few minutes, an hour, a couple of hours? I haven't seen any real tests.
TN is also more responsive, and it is true that TN uses less battery. I agree with your first point on TVs though, but wouldn't that mean that TN screens will get rid of IPS?

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TN is also more responsive, and it is true that TN uses less battery. I agree with your first point on TVs though, but wouldn't that mean that TN screens will get rid of IPS?
TN uses less energy than IPS. That's a fact, but how much less playtime do you get on a TN 3ds vs. an IPS 3ds? I'm almost certain it's negligible since I can't find any tests quantifying this.

Idk what you mean by responsive. Ghosting is more noticeable on TN displays for sure so the refresh rate is not better.

ieatducks4655

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm playing FF explorers right now and the colors on my 3DS (dual TN variant) are so dull, blurry, and washed out it's as if I'm playing the game with a white filter on my screens. And no I'm not playing the game while the 3DS is tilted off to the side but rather I'm playing the game HEAD ON, you know, how like normal people like you and me play games on our handhelds?

How did Nintendo even get away with producing these cheap TN panels? The visual quality and bad colors on the thing seriously puts me off from playing any game on it. Haven't played a game seriously since.

Why did no one complain about this screen issue and sued Nintendo for it? Their selling IPS variants and TN variants for the same amount of money so a lot of people are gonna pay the exact same amount and get an inferior version of the product.

It just baffles my mind how no one is complaing about this (even if there is, they aren't that many to cause a real issue for Nintendo). Does Nintendo even check the visual quality and color production on bothvariants before sending their units off to game stores? Cause it seems they don't.

Has Nintendo even officially mentioned something about this screen issue? It's bullshit that some of us aren't enjoying our handhelds.

Maybe people just don't know better when it comes to what 3ds games and other things on the 3ds should look like, I see what you mean but it's not an easy question to answer. I don't know if i have TN displays on my n3ds xl or not I just play Pokemon moon or whatever it doesn't make a difference to me

CitizenSnips

a seldom-used crab named Lucky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't find TN too bad by itself, but i don't like that my n3ds's bottom screen is IPS and the top is TN, the difference is what gets me. I can live with it though

Last edited by CitizenSnips,

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Having owned both dual TN/dual IPS systems, I find that the IPS systems are definitely more sharp/clear looking.

Mostly my new 3DS is used to play RPGs and Mario Kart, but anytime I play anything that is more "modern" everything looks like ass.

Personally, I don't care for dual IPS because there are people out there who would pay $300 for it. Nope, I rather go play a game than worry about how the graphics look.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TN uses less energy than IPS. That's a fact, but how much less playtime do you get on a TN 3ds vs. an IPS 3ds? I'm almost certain it's negligible since I can't find any tests quantifying this.

Idk what you mean by responsive. Ghosting is more noticeable on TN displays for sure so the refresh rate is not better.
The touch TN screens are slightly faster at responding to touch than an IPS. I don't know why exactly, but whatever...

cataklix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think on a 3ds you most have to care about more vibrant color than responsive time because on 3ds you don't play FPS or games that need a quick reaction time.
So IPS is better for a 3DS to me and want to get one is normal because you pay the same price in both case

cataklix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just for information, I got today a new 3DS XL black and I've get a version with top IPS and bottom TN (from Amazon France).

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am for sure glad I got my Hyrule Gold XL with dual IPS, looks great at any angle. However my friend has a grey XL with dual TN and it looks fine if you play it from a angle close to head on. Anything extreme and it will wash out. I do not think IPS is a huge enough deal to sell consoles until I get one or to buy one for more than retail.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @The Real Jdbye @SylverReZ @Xdqwerty :creep: +99 +1