Homebrew: get IRONFALL from 3DS eShop before Nintendo takes it down, it's free

CLSODpOUYAAXwQn.jpg

Famous 3DS hacker @smealum just posted a statement on his Twitter feed informing us that the game IRONFALL, currently available for free on the Nintendo 3DS eShop, contains security breaches potentially allowing anyone to run 3DS homebrew.

When I mean anyone it really is anyone, including owners of the New 3DS, under any firmware version. See update below. Get it fast before Nintendo takes it down!

:arrow: Source: smealum's Twitter

Nathan Drake Update: It's being reported that the game will only actually boot on 9.5+ currently. Please keep that in mind.

Ericzander Update: According to Smealum on Twitter, the Ironhax exploit will NOT require Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time. The game has been taken off of the European eShop.

smealum Update: the Ironfall hack will result in the same possibilities as the Ninjhack - homebrew, regionfree, custom themes, tdvs...

Last edited by Ericzander,

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
At the same time, keep in mind that the exploit only really matters for those over 9.2, so those rocking CFW and emuNAND setups probably already know what they can and can't do.
While it will obviously be MORE useful to those over 9.2, think about this. Gateway users don't have a decent way to run GBA games and the available emulators aren't that great. That is in addition to having to use a cart to boot into Gateway mode.

A lot of methods to boot into CFW require Cubic Ninja or OoT(w/tool) especially on the n3DS. Unless I'm forgetting something I don't think there's a method right now to get CFW on a n3DS without needing a physical game to insert every time. And assuming that Ironhax works in emuNAND 9.5 or higher, then it will be a way to get a custom firmware without needing Cubic Ninja or OoT every time.

For example... I load up my n3DS. Boot into my 9.5 emuNAND using Gateway, then use Ironhax to load up the homebrew channel to play emulators. Beautiful.
That is assuming it would work like that. We need more information first but theoretically it sounds great.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
is it still up? any what exactly will be done with new to the hacking scene
Still up. You can have full cfw with backups up to 9.2, afterwards up to 9.9, user mode homebrew with cubic ninja.
Smea's trying to make it easier to use the latter, maybe without cubic ninja, or at least only needing it once.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People who have access to the eShop, even with a firmware below 9.5, are able to play Ironfall for the record. Same for people who have the .cia version of the game.

One of my 3DSes is firmware 9.2 and it's able to run the game just fine.
Without firmlaunchhax?

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Youll still need cubic ninja etc. right.. so no use for me I guess??

Also to download this on sysnand u need most update firmware.. so u cant acces eshop..

Or download on emunand??

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While it will obviously be MORE useful to those over 9.2, think about this. Gateway users don't have a decent way to run GBA games and the available emulators aren't that great. That is in addition to having to use a cart to boot into Gateway mode.

A lot of methods to boot into CFW require Cubic Ninja or OoT(w/tool) especially on the n3DS. Unless I'm forgetting something I don't think there's a method right now to get CFW on a n3DS without needing a physical game to insert every time. And assuming that Ironhax works in emuNAND 9.5 or higher, then it will be a way to get a custom firmware without needing Cubic Ninja or OoT every time.

For example... I load up my n3DS. Boot into my 9.5 emuNAND using Gateway, then use Ironhax to load up the homebrew channel to play emulators. Beautiful.
That is assuming it would work like that. We need more information first but theoretically it sounds great.
Or you can just use Cubic Ninja for Ninjhax with pasta CFW and if for some reason you need Emunand you just run Gateway from a Cubic Ninja CIA :teach:.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Or you can just use Cubic Ninja for Ninjhax with pasta CFW and if for some reason you need Emunand you just run Gateway from a Cubic Ninja CIA :teach:.
Yup, but think about people who dont have cubic ninja but do have a gateway. Rumors are going around that you wont need cubic ninja for this exploit, or if you do you only need it once. That will still make it more convenient and cost effective IF it works out in the way I mentioned.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
great news for the 3DS/new3DS homebrew community. but i also feel bad for the devs.
ironfall invasion probably isn't the best game of its genre but it's the one fps/gears of war/online/teamdeathmatch/freeforall type game we have for 3DS lol. no other seems to exist on the console.

if nintendo pulls this i & many other people who have it will still have you cope but.
wouldn't be any other game like it on eshop & would suck for the indie dev to suddenly have their game taken down.

hopefully it stays up id feel better. tho i have a physical copy of cubic ninja so i dont need to use my digital copy of ironfall lol.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
great news for the 3DS/new3DS homebrew community. but i also feel bad for the devs.
ironfall invasion probably isn't the best game of its genre but it's the one fps/gears of war/online/teamdeathmatch/freeforall type game we have for 3DS lol. no other seems to exist on the console.

if nintendo pulls this i & many other people who have it will still have you cope but.
wouldn't be any other game like it on eshop & would suck for the indie dev to suddenly have their game taken down.

hopefully it stays up id feel better. tho i have a physical copy of cubic ninja so i dont need to use my digital copy of ironfall lol.
Doubt this will hurt them that much. Their intitial sales (the heaviest) has long passed; and even if it does get taken down, I'm sure it'll be back up in a couple of weeks once they submit a fixed exefs.

Keep in mind this is also a lot of free publicity for the game!

Last edited by zoogie, , Reason: also is not my favorite word, promise
Reactions: T3GZdev

Shawn ShyGuy

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
United States
Youll still need cubic ninja etc. right.. so no use for me I guess??

Also to download this on sysnand u need most update firmware.. so u cant acces eshop..

Or download on emunand??
You don't need anything besides Ironfall: Invasion off the eShop (fo' free!) for this. If you're running 9.2 and you're using Ninjhax, disregard Ironhax. But if you're like me and you were late to the "get ninjhax b4 9.3" party, update to the most recent firmware, install Ironfall and then wait for Smea to update us. Make sure to stay on 9.9, too

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need anything besides Ironfall: Invasion off the eShop (fo' free!) for this. If you're running 9.2 and you're using Ninjhax, disregard Ironhax. But if you're like me and you were late to the "get ninjhax b4 9.3" party, update to the most recent firmware, install Ironfall and then wait for Smea to update us. Make sure to stay on 9.9, too
I heard you need the full version of something which costs money

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1