Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
to be honest, for people with jobs and whatnot who are just too unsure of wether or not to update, just start saving money now, so when the switch gets blown open, just buy a switch on an exploitable FW at a slightly inflated price. if you save now, you'll be able to afford it later.
People with jobs can easily get a Switch, among other things, with their tax refund. Assuming no kids anyway, that's another financial pitfall entirely. My condolences to those that have them. :D

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People with jobs can easily get a Switch, among other things, with their tax refund. Assuming no kids anyway, that's another financial pitfall entirely. My condolences to those that have them. :D

If you have to wait for a tax refund to buy a switch, you aren't adulting correctly.

If "I have a kid/kids" is your reason for not being able to buy something, you are adulting wrong.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you have to wait for a tax refund to buy a switch, you aren't adulting correctly.

If "I have a kid/kids" is your reason for not being able to buy something, you are adulting wrong.
True enough. I'm saying if nothing else use your refund though. Then again, if you wanna be technical about it, not everybody here is an adult, and not everybody here has a job.

Reactions: Sketchy1

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True enough. I'm saying if nothing else use your refund though. Then again, if you wanna be technical about it, not everybody here is an adult, and not everybody here has a job.

Bump up your withholdings for part of the year to try to arrive at a zero refund. Use a witholdings calculator to dial it in. It's like hacking your taxes. If you mess it up you'll end up owing though. What was this thread about again? Oh yeah. I think I'm going to pick up a few Saturdays for the funds for a Seiko "Cocktail Time" instead of another Switch. Slightly more expensive but way more likely to get the attention of a skinny, but totally doable blonde at the airport.

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have 2 kids, a mortgage, a car payment, lots of bills, and 2 Switches.... and I don't even make a ton of money. :) It's all about budgeting.

Raverrevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the ones I want for Wii U :lol:
BotW and MK8 are just fine there.
Nothing more will come out for the Switch that I care about until November sadly.

I'm in the same exact boat! The only game that'll make me regret waiting on the firmware I'm on will be Mario Odyssey. Everything else besides BOTW and MK8 has been meh. I have both games and have played the hell out of them. I'd still keep playing til I 100% them both.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure exploits will be found for later firmwares in the future, that always seems to be the way that these things work, where initially an exploit is only discovered for systems on a specific firmware or older, but as time goes on other exploits are found for later firmwares. So I'll continue to make good use of my Switch and hope that homebrew and the like eventually becomes a reality for my system, and if they don't, oh well, my 3DS and Wii U are hacked like crazy, I think I'd live if my Switch had to remain hack free.

HotShotAzn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My condolences to people who don't realize the joy of having children and/or view them as a burden :rolleyes: I would never call any of my kids a "financial pitfall".

Last edited by HotShotAzn,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Rofl. "So glad I bought a $300 paperweight."
You really need to open up a dictionary and look up the term "Investment".
Daeken told me his #1 concern was emulators. Yush! :toot:
Oh did he really?
If so, that'd be amazing.
I really hope to see RetroArch and its goodies getting ported to it.
More so because we are now talking ARM architecture, no more PPC bullshit to hold us off, so we might get PSX and N64 now, even up to Dolphin, PPSSPP and even Dreamcast :D

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You really need to open up a dictionary and look up the term "Investment".
That's an investment you'd get better return on if you just wait for actual progress on homebrew/CFW. Switch will probably have a price drop by then, and who knows if proper CFW (updates past 3.0) will ever actually happen, so right now you still run the risk of holding a $300 paperweight.

Last edited by Xzi,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That's an investment you'd get better return on if you just wait for actual progress on homebrew/CFW. Switch will probably have a price drop by then, and who knows if proper CFW (updates past 3.0) will ever actually happen, so right now you still run the risk of holding a $300 paperweight.
Every investment has its risks.
Making risks is what this is all about, and I would gladly take said risk.
The possible benefits are way too much to not take the risk, at least for me.

Besides, patience is one of my greatest virtues, so I don't mind holding off for a while.
In the worst case scenario, I'll get my 300 bucks back when backup loading arrives ;) hahaha

Reactions: satan89

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In the worst case scenario, I'll get my 300 bucks back when backup loading arrives ;) hahaha
No, the worst case scenario is you only get to play backups up to 3.0, and Mario Odyssey/everything after it are at least 3.1. Stuff of nightmares, really. I might trade in my old one or buy a new one if/when we get something useful out of the exploit, but it feels like the firmware will be at 8.0 before that happens, and we'll probably have other exploits to choose from by then.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No, the worst case scenario is you only get to play backups up to 3.0, and Mario Odyssey/everything after it are at least 3.1. Stuff of nightmares, really. I might trade in my old one or buy a new one if/when we get something useful out of the exploit, but it feels like the firmware will be at 8.0 before that happens, and we'll probably have other exploits to choose from by then.
To me really it doesn't matter.
I'm not in a hurry to play the latest games there are.
I have plenty to fill in the gaps.

And if I do feel the urge to play the latest Switch games, I can always ask a friend who has an updated Switch to let me borrow it for a while.
No losses there, besides it's not like updated Switches for casual play will go anywhere anytime soon.

D

Deleted User

Since 3.0.1 already patched the exploit and I had updated for Sonic Mania, I see no reason not to update my Switch anytime a demo or something I want comes onto the eshop. But I do plan on getting a second Switch soon. Infact, in the store I work in, I have one pulled off the shop floor, waiting until as such a time until I can afford it. Thank you boss, for letting me do that one! Plus I Promised him he could have the dock, grip & Joycons, and I'd get the box, charger and Tablet hehehe

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Since 3.0.1 already patched the exploit and I had updated for Sonic Mania, I see no reason not to update my Switch anytime a demo or something I want comes onto the eshop. But I do plan on getting a second Switch soon. Infact, in the store I work in, I have one pulled off the shop floor, waiting until as such a time until I can afford it. Thank you boss, for letting me do that one! Plus I Promised him he could have the dock, grip & Joycons, and I'd get the box, charger and Tablet hehehe
You are lucky your boss let you do that :P
And yeah, actually just the tablet itself is where the meat of the system is.
Joycons and other crap can be swapped around, just the tablet is what matters :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next