Hardware Help needed with getting my PS3 working on my Elgato HD60 Pro

• Thread starter Deleted-353083
  • Start date
  • Views 12,466
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted-353083

OP
I have my Elgato HD60 Pro installed in my PC and i know it works fine because i tried my 360 with it and had no problems at all. Sadly however as everyone probably knows - Sony did the retarded thing of putting HDCP on the PS3.

I did some research and everyone said to get a HDMI splitter and make sure it's a brand that does strip HDCP away because not every brand does. Well i did buy one off Ebay and specifically chose this here because it even says in the reviews (and from every review i've read of it from other sites) that it's perfect for the PS3...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-HDMI...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I know exactly how it's supposed to be setup (one HDMI from the PS3 to the splitter, then one HDMI from output 1 to the Elgato and the other HDMI from output 2 to whatever monitor you are using) however since it arrived yesterday i just can't get it to work.

I've tried everything... having it powered by having it plugged in to one of the USB ports on my PC... having it powered normally plugged into a power socket... messing around with the settings... having it connected to 2 different monitors (my tv and another tv that is exactly the same brand and model)... having it connected to just 1 monitor (my tv i just mentioned with my PC connected to HDMI1 and one of the outputs from the splitter in HDMI2)

One thing i have noticed is that when i didn't have it connected to the splitter and just had the PS3 connected directly to the input of the Elgato, the screen simply went black and in the "Device" tab in the top corner it said "HDCP error" in a small red tab (which i expected ofcourse)... however then when i run it through the splitter (with one output connected to the Elgato and the other output connected to my tv) for some strange reason it comes up with "No signal detected" instead and this is despite when i then change my tv channel to HDMI2 i can see the PS3 picture perfectly.

So to sum up incase i might have made this confusing as hell... firstly yes i have everything setup exactly as it is supposed to be with the splitter powered and one output to the PC and the other to my tv, however the output to the tv works fine but the output to the Elgato doesn't even pick up a signal and doesn't say anything about HDCP at all... it just says "No signal detected" I can't figure this out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

spkuja

Trophies
Website
www.glaciergaming.co.uk
XP
Country
You could try resetting the resolution of the PlayStation? Power ti off completely and then hold the power button for about 10 seconds. You should hear a beep and then another one. If this is the issue it should boot up in a horribly low screen res. It might be that the splitter is picking up the resolution correctly.

D

Deleted-353083

OP
You could try resetting the resolution of the PlayStation? Power ti off completely and then hold the power button for about 10 seconds. You should hear a beep and then another one. If this is the issue it should boot up in a horribly low screen res. It might be that the splitter is picking up the resolution correctly.
One thing i didn't mention was that when i unplug the HDMi that's coming from the PS3 to the splitter and then re-connect it, it says something like "Please wait, detecting signal" and then i can get the picture to come up for a couple of seconds flickering like hell and then it goes to "No signal detected" I had googled exactly what you just said and i've tried that and twice did a full factory reset too but still the same result. I have one of those super slim 12gb PS3's... could that possibly be why?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually you would just use the component cables. It doesn't have HDCP, only the HDMI port has it. Is how i usually do it. The only problem is that it doesn't display 1080P with the component cable, not sure if is a problem of my tv or the console itself. But apparently people tell me a splitter removes the HDCP. :unsure:

D

Deleted-353083

OP
Usually you would just use the component cables. It doesn't have HDCP, only the HDMI port has it. Is how i usually do it. The only problem is that it doesn't display 1080P with the component cable, not sure if is a problem of my tv or the console itself. But apparently people tell me a splitter removes the HDCP. :unsure:
The Elgato HD 60 doesn't have composite or component input, only HDMI.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Elgato HD 60 doesn't have composite or component input, only HDMI.
Oh my bad. I forgot to mention that I had a Avermedia Live Gamer Portable that came with a special cord that allowed it to work with the component cable slot. You maybe should be able to find something like this for the ps3. I used a similar thing for the wii that just allows HDMI cable to work with it so I don't need component cables.

cac904c1-bfb9-4b59-8acc-0aa1cd757313.jpg._CB330294607_.jpg

D

Deleted-353083

OP
Oh my bad. I forgot to mention that I had a Avermedia Live Gamer Portable that came with a special cord that allowed it to work with the component cable slot. You maybe should be able to find something like this for the ps3. I used a similar thing for the wii that just allows HDMI cable to work with it so I don't need component cables.

cac904c1-bfb9-4b59-8acc-0aa1cd757313.jpg._CB330294607_.jpg
Appreciate the reply but the Elgato HD60 Pro is a card that is now installed in my PC, it's not an external device.

D

Deleted-353083

OP

Yes i watched that video along with every other youtube one i could find aswell as googled everything i could think of to possibly solve this. No offence but did you think i was so dumb as to come here without doing all that first?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try a different splitter. Removing the hdcp from ps3 with cheap splitters is not perfect and can be be a bit odd. Certain splitters will work fine with some setups, but not others,one of the splitters I have works fine with my elgato, but apparently didn't play nice with other cards (comments from other people around the time) on top of that the internals of the cheap chinese splitters seem to randomly change and whether they strip hdcp or not goes with it.

Other than that, does the splitter look exactly like it does in the picture? There seems to be two types of that splitter. One is metal cased with screws, the other plastic. I have both, the metal one does the same as your describing with my ps3. Output to the tv is fine, elgato just shows blank screen. The plastic one that is glued together works fine though and removes it.

If it is the plastic one, only other thing I would suggest is play with the power connector. I found the cheap power cable that came with the plastic one wasn't a great fit and would only output to one screen until I jiggled it about. I'm guessing it wasn't making contact properly and without power it will only do a single output.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, AncientBoi be like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLoR6H7GxQ