Hacking [HELP] EGGS-SGGE header of Wii VC eShop games

JohnathanMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have all of the Wii games EGGS headers in a word document. I'm assuming that I should look for some kind of pattern from the ISO of the game, correct? I am trying to figure out what I need to be looking for. From what I understand, and please correct me if I am wrong, but what needs to happen is to convert the ISO to nfs files and then HexEdit an "EGGS" header into the newly created hif_000000.nfs file from the ISO. Where should I start looking to try to figure out what the ISO and the nfs headers have in common. Thank you.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

wouldnt it be cool if we could inject Wii games into the existing Wii eShop games? Then we could access our complete Wii library from WiiU menu and could use the game pad as classic controller...

Well I'm kinda one step away from achieving this. I successfully extracted an iso file from the nfs files of an Wii eShop game with help of the guys here. The goal is now to reverse this process and I'm practically one step away from this. The only thing that's left is to reverse engineer the EGGS-SGGE header of the Wii eShop games.

Wii eShop games come as bunch of hif hif_0000XX.nfs files, where XX is a counter number starting from 00. Every nfs file has a size of 256 MB, except the last one. In total those files a nearly exactly as big as a WBFS file of the game. I was able to join, decrypt, and manipulate those files to produce an functional iso file. I'm also able revert this.

The first file hif hif_000000.nfs has a 512 Byte header starting wird the word EGGS and ending with SGGE. Currently it is not known how to generate a working for a Wii game. Here are some examples for EGGS headers (I hope it's OK to post those):

Code:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 EUR

45 47 47 53 00 01 10 11 e0 2a 0d e5 37 fb 1f 70
00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 08
00 00 00 02 00 00 1f 00 00 00 a5 64 ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 53 47 47 45

Code:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 USA

45 47 47 53 00 01 10 11 eb df 4d f4 7d e1 61 80
00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 08
00 00 00 02 00 00 1f 00 00 00 8d ed 00 00 ac f3
00 00 16 e5 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff

Code:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 JAP

45 47 47 53 00 01 10 11 e8 f8 63 f4 76 c7 db 58
00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 08
00 00 00 02 00 00 1f 00 00 00 a4 11 00 00 c3 25
00 00 00 64 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff

Code:
Kirby's Return to Dream Land USA

45 47 47 53 00 01 10 11 69 6d fb ec 89 30 2b a3
00 00 00 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 08
00 00 00 02 00 00 1f 00 00 00 1f 58 00 00 3e 5a
00 00 00 1a 00 00 3e 77 00 00 00 4d 00 00 3e c6
00 00 00 51 00 00 3f 18 00 00 00 18 00 00 3f 31
00 00 00 e2 00 00 40 14 00 00 73 0c ff ff ff ff

Code:
Xenoblade Chronicles EUR

45 47 47 53 00 01 10 11 b7 41 f4 c2 d1 bd 55 5d
00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 08
00 00 00 02 00 00 1f 00 00 03 27 5e ff ff ff ff

If you want to take a look at some other headers. GO to that titlekey site, look the eShop Wii games. And download and decrypt them with JNUSTool using titlekey and titleID. The hif_000000.nfs lies in the content folder.

The only thing I'm quite sure of, is that the byte at 0x13 times 2 is number of dwords following which are not ff ff ff ff. So, any ideas appreciated. :)
I don't understand how you are going to handle the Wii ISO's attempts to access IOS's and specific hardware components that are present on the Wii or vWii but not on the native Wii U.

Games from the Wii era that are available on the eShop app are compiled to run on the Wii U system which is different than the Wii or vWii.

If you found that a section of an eShop game EXACTLY matches the stripped WBFS raw Wii image that would mean that Nintendo created a Wii emulator wrapper for the native Wii U that intercepts the IOS/hardware calls from the Wii game.

That would be extraordinary and I don't believe that is the case as we would have likely heard about it.

I don't see how to simply massage files or sections of Wii files and try to inject them into an eShop game will ever do anything but cause a crash when you run the game as the required API's or in this case IOS and hardware components aren't there.

Not trying to rain on your parade but I believe you are quite a ways from accomplishing this.

Alternately you could work on an app to run under Loadiine that provides that wrapper and emulates the Wii IOS's/hardware components so you could run Wii games. That would be quite an undertaking.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't understand how you are going to handle the Wii ISO's attempts to access IOS's and specific hardware components that are present on the Wii or vWii but not on the native Wii U.

Games from the Wii era that are available on the eShop app are compiled to run on the Wii U system which is different than the Wii or vWii.

If you found that a section of an eShop game EXACTLY matches the stripped WBFS raw Wii image that would mean that Nintendo created a Wii emulator wrapper for the native Wii U that intercepts the IOS/hardware calls from the Wii game.

That would be extraordinary and I don't believe that is the case as we would have likely heard about it.

I don't see how to simply massage files or sections of Wii files and try to inject them into an eShop game will ever do anything but cause a crash when you run the game as the required API's or in this case IOS and hardware components aren't there.

Not trying to rain on your parade but I believe you are quite a ways from accomplishing this.

Alternately you could work on an app to run under Loadiine that provides that wrapper and emulates the Wii IOS's/hardware components so you could run Wii games. That would be quite an undertaking.
What the heck are you on about wii VC games run in wii mode yes they are displayed on the WiiU home screen but when you boot it it loads into wii mode. Try loading a wii VC title and you will see this happening also after playing the wii VC game switch off the wiiu then switch it back on and goto the wii menu and you will see your save game is on the Wii not the wiiu. In future if you are going to give a long explanation about something atleast have a clue what you are talking about.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

never saw anyone being so wrong lol wii vc games on wiiu e shop run in vwii not wiiu mode... when you click a game you can clearly hear the wiiu switching into vwii mode and the game just uses a cfw and ios to run on a modified vwii so it can load the game from the wiiu nand and use the gamepad while being on vwii, the entirely of the game is played on vwii, the only thing that nintendo did was a shortcut on wiiu menu to start vwii and run the game with special permissions and ios so they can load from wiiu nand the game and use teh gamepad on selected games.

yes nintendo was this lazy thats why no improvements such as fps or even higher res exist on wii e shop games on wiiu.

Last edited by pedro702,

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates

Are you dumb?

They work on vWii. (cafe2wii blah blah etc etc)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How many types of EGGS headers are there?
I recall someone claiming they were only a few.
If that's the case, maybe we could try with a custom ISO (any) and try switching headers?
I'm just throwing ideas here, doesn't mean it would most likely be possible.

I'm really happy to see this much interest in Wii VC injection :)
I hope it becomes a reality and hopefully; down the road, inject Wii Homebrew DOLs

Reactions: Naendow and KiiWii

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummm i'm not totally smart when it comes to this stuff here but i also dunno if anyone said this already before.

If some how is possible... there is a wii mode launcher app on wii u, if some how we can take it and install it into a wii eshop game that has gamepad support, could we load wii mode vwii menu with game pad support and play anything like game disc, homebrew, or Wiiware with it as long as it supports classic controller? :ninja:

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Ummm i'm not totally smart when it comes to this stuff here but i also dunno if anyone said this already before.

If some how is possible... there is a wii mode launcher app on wii u, if some how we can take it and install it into a wii eshop game that has gamepad support, could we load wii mode vwii menu with game pad support and play anything like game disc, homebrew, or Wiiware with it as long as it supports classic controller? :ninja:
Whoa, I had to reread your post. Anyways, we're severely lacking in homebrew developers for the Wii U platform and there's way more interest in homebrew on 3DS sadly. Too bad the Wii U isn't cheap or else we'd get more people interested, like the Wii was.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa, I had to reread your post. Anyways, we're severely lacking in homebrew developers for the Wii U platform and there's way more interest in homebrew on 3DS sadly. Too bad the Wii U isn't cheap or else we'd get more people interested, like the Wii was.
Not only is it not cheap right now, but lacking in production, really will make it a bit more expensive and not cheaper. Now is probably some collectors item for is reputation alone. More like how other systems deemed poor in the market. 3DS and wii were very popular since well it has good stuff about it and people able to come up with exploits faster. So i mean i can understand what you mean. I just had the idea swirling around in my head but i didn't know quite how to say it so it made sense if some one read it. More scalping :glare:

Basically i was saying if the wii launcher app on wii u was injected into a eshop wii game with game pad support, that maybe it can inject into one of those gammes to launch vwii with game pad support. Of course i have no idea, if is works that way or how easy it is, just was curious about it being possible. :P

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Not only is it not cheap right now, but lacking in production, really will make it a bit more expensive and not cheaper. Now is probably some collectors item for is reputation alone. More like how other systems deemed poor in the market. 3DS and wii were very popular since well it has good stuff about it and people able to come up with exploits faster. So i mean i can understand what you mean. I just had the idea swirling around in my head but i didn't know quite how to say it so it made sense if some one read it. More scalping :glare:

Basically i was saying if the wii launcher app on wii u was injected into a eshop wii game with game pad support, that maybe it can inject into one of those gammes to launch vwii with game pad support. Of course i have no idea, if is works that way or how easy it is, just was curious about it being possible. :P
That's what I meant when I said I had to reread it. I understand what you said though. I'm sure if it was possible someone would've done it already, but I want to be proven wrong about this.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Just a silly question but on other end; Because I am sure eShop Wii games work by booting vWii in special manner with their own additions directed from main Wii U OS etc.

IF this is the case how likely of finding out how the gamepad is registered as controller and making an app that boots vWii menu with gamepad as classic controller would be?

Well, as it seems for now it seems to be more simple to pursue this reverse "nintendo-WBFS" thing, and as extra you could start having Wii games on your hopefully one USB drive for both Wii U and soon Wii needs I guess. (so 64 gig card for gamecube games and people should be glad-ish)

victormr21

Trophies
XP
Country

It's simpler, the fact that makes a eShop vWii game compatible with the GamePad is a value in meta.xml it can be 0,1,2 or 65537 (or similar) you can put this value directly in the Wii Channel App, but then probably you won't can use the Wiimote, because this happen if you do this with a game, you can't connect connect a wiimote so you can't play because all time appears a not controller message, maybe in the channel app you can... Just try it
Bye!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's simpler, the fact that makes a eShop vWii game compatible with the GamePad is a value in meta.xml it can be 0,1,2 or 65537 (or similar) you can put this value directly in the Wii Channel App, but then probably you won't can use the Wiimote, because this happen if you do this with a game, you can't connect connect a wiimote so you can't play because all time appears a not controller message, maybe in the channel app you can... Just try it
Bye!
the games do not have vwii fw image... they have their own fws and cios inside them so yeah just adding the meta value wont do anything.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Indeed.
Each Wii Virtual Console game has its own fw.img and some other stuff in it.
The important thing here is to manage to get a custom Wii game working first, the EGGS header is the only thing remaining to understand for this.
After that, Xenoblade might be taken as the base for injections due to its Gamepad to CCP configuration, and after that we can start thinking about what could be done to redirect the Wii VC to vWii or even launch a custom boot.dol like the Homebrew Channel or something else.

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I swear everytime someone posts in this thread I get excited thinking we may have gotten it to work, it's like the number 1 I have left to desire from my Wii U. (Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to rush anyone) it'd actually be nice if smash bros brawl was released (with CCP > Gamepad support), maybe using it's existing exploit we could then chainload into the homebrew (launcher/channel) of our choice, but alas, Nintendo has all but abandoned the Wii U, so that ain't happening unless we do figure out injection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @BigOnYa are you on OnlyFans?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He gets his ramming funds from onlyfans
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea but my total income is negative, lol
    I would pay for watching someone eat food from the floor.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, stop spending the videos' budget on food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No I've never even been to the site(honestly) but have heard of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm half way at my savings for a new move
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like a karate move? The flying dragon is cool.
    @BigOnYa if you've never been to the site how do you know about its contents?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Can he do a shoryuken?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, cuz of people mentioning it everywhere
    +1
    Someone here introduced me to it. Not gonna say who.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everybody knows what that site about, and you can't read normal news anymore without hearing about it
    But it's degrading and disgusting.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, was it Juan?
    Juan who?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its just seductive pics right? I mean they don't show nudity, do they?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, you know who is juan
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    isn't onlyfans just another creepy site of fake AI generated ''women''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not Ai women but women who's bodies are walking Atm machines
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like scam bait
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so they collect ''donations''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well gofundme doesn't accept vagina they just do that off the site
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess they just sell spicy fling material
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there