vWii breaks Wii games (and a lot of homebrew)

marioluigipeach10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since switching over my Wii to my vWii on my Wii U, the best way I can describe it is 'kind of broken'.
Usually I'm pretty keen on what I messed up, but there's just too many problems of varying degrees for me to figure out alone.
Here's a list of most of the problems I've ran into.

Regarding Homebrew...

- USB Loader crashes a lot, like freezing and sometimes nothing shows up in the main menu UI, just the background. (Obviously nothing to do but reset the Wii U)
- I switched to WiiFlow which fixed some of the freezing and crashing issues but not much. (Also I realize that Wiiflow is so much nicer than USB Loader GX)
- I tried CFG-Loader but it says 'Failed to Load IOS 58', which is strange because I thought that vWii came with IOS 58 all ready to go, that and I'm not gonna install any more IOS things to the vWii as I understand it is an easy bricking.

Regarding Games...

- Mario Kart Wii just leaves me on a black screen after the initial Wiimote screen. And when it does work, suddenly assets stop loading into the game completely, eventually leaving me with a black screen when I finish setting up my kart n' stuff.
- Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga drops all sound save for the wiimote, strange and random things don't work anymore like swinging the lightsaber with B. Sometimes the game just freezes in the menu on loop.
- NSMBW has yet to actually start beyond the initial 'Press 2' screen.
- Metroid Prime Trilogy crashes as I load a file to play the game.
- The issue of certain assets and sounds being either lost or broken spread throughout many of my Wii games.

Clarifications:

I'm using the same SD card AND HHD from my Wii on my vWii, because it worked flawlessly on my Wii AND switching to the Wii SD fixed a previous issue where no apps showed up on the vWii home-brew bubble screen.
Yes I know, it's all formatted to FAT32.
I am using an external HHD, a really good one I was recommended a while ago. It's one of those industrial WD drives, a terabyte in storage to be clear.
Also, after getting the home-brew channel on my vWii (and getting the IOS 80 patch + the d2x cIOS installer thing) all set up, I noticed that none of my apps showed up on the screen on my vWii. So I just took both the SD card from my Wii and the HHD and plugged it into my Wii U. The HHD is plugged into the closest one to the edge (in the back of the Wii U)
I'm using Tiramisu on the Wii U, I use the browser exploit to get into Wii U homebrew.

Yeah, it's a lot to take apart, but I'm hoping that I can get some answers here because it's way to specific for any single answer I could find online.

Thanks in advance!

marioluigipeach10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WIth a Y cable? Else that's your issue.
Ah, thank you. Turns out that the HHD I was using was only plugged in with one single cable. I looked into it and yeah turns out the Wii U ports are underpowered? I already ordered a Y cable from Amazon, is there a chance that my HHD games may have been corrupted due to running at lower speeds than operational?

tmnr1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, thank you. Turns out that the HHD I was using was only plugged in with one single cable. I looked into it and yeah turns out the Wii U ports are underpowered? I already ordered a Y cable from Amazon, is there a chance that my HHD games may have been corrupted due to running at lower speeds than operational?

I have turned on my Wii U many times with the HDD plugged to the console but not to a power outlet and it works just fine, so I'm assuming that if there's a risk of damage it's very unlikely.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
is there a chance that my HHD games may have been corrupted due to running at lower speeds than operational?
Normaly not, there was only not enough power to fullfill the readprocess of the data files on the drive.

The WiiU ports are not underpowered, their just extremly limited to the max output of 0.5 Ampere (There exist also a workaround with soldering to remove the limit). The Wii USB is not that kind limited and can provide a bit more power then 0.5A and the reason why a Wii HDD might need a Y-Cable on a WiiU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty