Healthy alternatives to drinking water.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unless I'm missing something, doesn't that article mostly just address consumer trends and industry growth? I think you were referring to the claim that low-cal beverages are flavored using powder produced from plants, vegetables, and the such. That a beverage could be made to be low-cal, flavored naturally, and relatively healthy isn't something I'd consider impossible (far from it, I'd call squeezing an orange into your gob a fine drink, even if it's pretty high on the calories, relatively speaking), but it's not something I'd ever trust when marketed to me, at least as an American familiar with the practices and consumables produced by American companies. I didn't mean to imply that I know for a fact that all low-cal beverages contain something unhealthy for you, only that I would strongly recommend against trusting any sort of processed foodstuff, especially when healthier options with less... eh... wiggle room, are easy to find.

Using what is said in that article as an example: "Squashes, cordials, powders and other concentrates for dilution to taste by consumers..." and they go on to detail some ratios they use in their drinks. What that doesn't claim is that these powders are made solely out of natural ingredients, and even if they were, that wouldn't rule out the presence of things like pesticides/herbicides being present in the mix, as they would just be considered "part and parcel" for produce. Preservatives are the first thing I'd suspect to be present, but really, anything the government might allow to be in there could very well be in there.
Some of my favorite things the FDA allows in food are cow puss and diesel fuel. They don't just allow it, they actually encourage the spraying of diesel fuel on carrots.
https://archive.org/stream/oilspraysforweed136craf/oilspraysforweed136craf_djvu.txt
Yummy yummy. :creep:
This article also makes no claims to the quality of the produce they use to make this powder. For all we could know, what they use could be made out of cheap, rotting produce, ground up and scented to make it seem like it's still edible. Something similar is apparently what goes on with "100% natural" orange juice made over here.

(He's not exactly the most official source, but he cites his sources, and I think he's entertaining.:D)
And that's if they're even bothering to "technically" tell the truth at all. Hell, there have been instances of large American industries simply putting out deliberately faked studies for decade, so it's not impossible they're not just straight-up lying and haven't been caught yet.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat
After years of conducting my own personal experiments (on myself and nobody else), I'm convinced that such a high percentage of processed foods produced over here contain something detrimental to health and general performance that I've had wildly more success avoiding every type of prepared foodstuff. The reason for this seems to be that "poisoning" consumers is both allowed by the government and more profitable to the company in almost every situation.

The reason I keep mentioning "America" is because I noticed that both you and that article are British. I have absolutely no knowledge of how your government, your regulations, or your corporations operate, and I wanted to add the caveat that all my information and research comes from eating American foods and observing American companies. I'm assuming companies around the world behave similarly, if only for the reason that I can't see why they wouldn't, but it is an assumption.

It does, it was however what I hoped to be a suitable source for the amount of squash that is drunk in the UK and it being done for several years. This would appear to go against your claim that "It doesn't get that way without some iffy shit.", though granted when I say iffy shit I mean stuff that will either fuck you up in short order or over a longer period.

Beyond that I would probably call most claiming they want natural things a pointless fetish, and as such I will probably have to go from here knowing we approach the world in rather different ways. If you want to play scary sounding chemical names we can, if you want to play how squishing fruit to make things is better than making it via industrial chemistry we can look at the resulting analysis of the results (that whole thing with apple pips and cyanide, quite true, still there when you pulp them vs making some pentyl pentanoate, one of the flavour chemicals in apples, or something, and that is before you get into almonds http://www.businessinsider.com/facts-about-natural-and-artificial-flavors-2014-1?IR=T ).

"Cow puss and diesel fuel", if they reckon the diesel oil it looks like there does not have any lasting effects I will believe them over "ooh it says diesel in it", and cow puss is going to happen in industrial scale production. If it is pasteurised then it should be fine. Equally all those organic fertilisers -- quite literally shit at times. Those faecal coliforms are tenacious little bastards as well.
The orange juice stuff was fascinating when I found out about that a few years back.

I don't doubt that things were paid off at points, however things are a bit more rigorous today so it holds about as much relevance as "[insert period of history] was a shit time not to be a rich member of the dominant group in society", never forget but if it ain't at play now... possible, coulda, woulda, shoulda... is there even a compelling trend line you care to show? Mine says more people than ever are being fed on the same amount of land, even the poorest in society can afford to be fat if the desire takes them (though there may be qualifiers there if indeed the cheapest food promotes that in some manner), lifespans are going up and health during those are doing well too. There are of course other factors but if the food is inherently broken as you appear to want to head towards then surely that would play out.
There are still dodgy things going on -- the vitamins and supplements market in the US resisting regulation to an astounding degree being a nice example of that. Equally much of what goes on in "food patents" is not quite as bothersome to me as the very existence of software patents, patented gene sequences and the general approach to prior art in the US but that is not really so relevant to this discussion.

The US food industry is an... interesting place but by and large its standards would be acceptable, or even beyond acceptable, in most of the world and where it is not would either be a religious place or a quirk like my place says 6 weeks for this treatment but you say 7. The end result is often quite different (I can not imagine hamburger helper flying for a moment in the UK or Europe as a whole). There is however a world of difference between ultra processed meal in a plastic container and someone shoving a few preservatives in something and it no longer being "organic". If you want to eat an expensive organic diet then whatever floats your boat, you want to try to tell me it is a better or indeed the only safe way then you need more ammo.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drinking water is boring, doesn't have much of appealing taste. What are some good flavors I can drink instead that is tasty and healthy to consume? Also I can't drink 8 cups of water a day, is just too much and it doesn't help is not appealing.:unsure:

I know how you feel. I don't drink 8 cups of water a day but I am trying. It is requirement because to keep you hydrate and keep in body and skins less dry and smoothly.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Natural fruit juices.

Here in the Netherlands we got "DubbelFrisss" which has their "free" line without sugars or addictives. It still tastes pretty sweet. There are only sugars in it that are naturally in the juice, so it's not added to the juice.

It tasts sweet because it is sweet ... you miss the point when they say no "added" sugar ! I doubt they actually take out any sugar that is within the fruits (I doubt you would want to drink that) so there is plenty of sugar inside every juice ! Fruit sugars are not really any better than refined sugar :/

Procyon

TheRealProcyon
Trophies
Website
discord.me
XP
Country
Netherlands
It tasts sweet because it is sweet ... you miss the point when they say no "added" sugar ! I doubt they actually take out any sugar that is within the fruits (I doubt you would want to drink that) so there is plenty of sugar inside every juice ! Fruit sugars are not really any better than refined sugar :/

I said that, also non processed fruit sugars are healthier, most fruit sugar is processed.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
You know, I'm in a weird situation where I strongly believe you're incorrect in the way you see government and companies, but I think you're absolutely right in not believing me. Without personal context and experimentation, if you were to believe the ravings of what essentially would seem to be an internet activist over the people you've been told have had your best interests at heart for all your life, I think you'd have to be some sort of unstable mind or affected by some strong, previously existing bias. The damning evidence on my end that inorganic foods are terrible for your health is almost completely wrapped up in my personal experiences with foods. To make a long story very short, transitioning from a conventional to organic diet, I felt little change that I could definitively pin on the diet, as I was exercising with increasing frequency and losing weight at the same time. After being on an organic diet for about a year, I accidentally bought milk that was labeled inorganic, but I didn't realize it at the time. The taste was indescribably vitriolic. After smelling it and searching for a "best by" date, I realized my mistake. I had no expectation that this would taste any differently than the organic variety, even if I had known it wasn't organic, as my choice in going organic was simply to test whether or not the "fad" had any validity. Afterwards, I bought all of the produce I was currently eating as inorganic, and they each tasted wretched in different forms. Apples, pears, oranges, peaches, essentially most hand-fruits, produced a scalding sting in the throat after consuming 2 or more fruits in one sitting as well as a pungent scent in the back of the nose. Carrots tasted so strongly of gasoline that it prompted me to google the two terms, bringing me to the article I linked naming diesel fuel as an effective herbicide for use with carrots. Every food I ate labeled "conventional" produced a bitter, chemical taste which conjured sharp feelings nostalgia of when I was made to eat fruits and vegetables as a young boy. I realized that what I hated as a kid wasn't the vegetables themselves, but the chemical taste which I had no idea was due to chemicals my whole life. I also saw a distinct dip in my performance when training that night, however, while the discovery of the differences in taste was without any anticipation, I can't say the dip in performance was as well. Because of that, I had reason to question how real that observed dip in health was at the time.

"Placebo effect" is the first thing you should think, and you're right to think that way. I know it isn't only because of how unmistakable the difference in sensations between the two foods was as well as my continued experimentation with my diet, but that isn't information you can really prove to another person, as it's all sensory. That I was able to correctly guess what was on the carrots was also an indicator to me that it's not "in my head", as it were, but there are crazy people everywhere, and from your perspective, who's to say I'm not one of them? With the information you have now, you would have no reason to believe I'm not. An anecdote is proof of nothing outside of the experience of the one who tells it, after all, and I think that only a fool would take it on face value. Even still, you should understand that I have no reason to lie, at the very least.

Listen, I consider myself a scientist, and I admit that I say this with pride and ego. I have a physics degree from a well looked-upon college in America, and I'm well apprised of the way in which scientific studies are typically performed and reported, having done so myself on multiple occasions. That this is not anywhere near the standards of being a "scientific study" is painfully clear, especially when trying to use it in a debate like this, but I wouldn't say that means my findings and experiences aren't valid, at least to some extent. I do not have enough "ammo" to engage with you on the level this topic deserves, and that's because my investigation on the matter has been admittedly shallow and contained. The only way I see for you to understand my results is by recreating the experiment, and for all of this "study's" faults, ability to be easily reproduced is not one of them. Because of the consistently strong results I got in my own experiments, as well as how consistent my experiences were with others on internet forums (found after I had reached my conclusion), I'm more than confident in what I've found, but again, you shouldn't be until you try it yourself. Damn, I feel like I should apologize, as this is almost feels like a complete cop-out, but that's how and why things are.

Last edited by Meteor7,

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You don't have to drink when you aren't thirsty. Just drink something and it'll be fine. Btw different waters do taste different. I greatly prefer cold water to room temp water, not just because its refreshing but it actually tastes better. Also I enjoy filtered water and dislike most bottled waters and tap water.

Reactions: Quantumcat

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You could try making kool-aid with Splenda or some other sweetener rather than sugar.
Oh yes because Splenda is so much a healthier option
  • An in-depth scientific review of sucralose (Splenda) reveals an extensive list of safety concerns, including toxicity, DNA damage, and heightened carcinogenic potential when used in cooking
  • When heated, it releases chloropropanols, which belong to a class of toxins known as dioxins. Dioxin—a component of Agent Orange—is among the most dangerous chemicals known to man
  • Sucralose can destroy as much as 50 percent of the microbiome in your gut. What’s worse, it appears to target beneficial microorganisms to a greater extent than pathogenic and other more detrimental bacteria
  • Both animal and human studies have shown that Splenda alters glucose, insulin and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) levels, thereby promoting weight gain, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes
  • The adverse effects of sucralose are oftentimes misdiagnosed or overlooked entirely as the side effects are so varied and mimic common ailments
And that pretty much applies to all other sweeteners as well lol great healthy recommendation from you well done.

Tap water is important because it has fluoride that's really needed to reduce tooth decay. For a nice-tasting drink that is healthier than soft drink, I really like iced tea.

That depends in where you are in the world here in Scotland the tap water does not have fluoride in it but the rest of the UK does as far as I am aware.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You don't need that sweet sensation, let it go and after the harsh first two or three weeks you will be happy forever.
As I said before somewhere, be it artificial sweetener or sugar, they numb your taste buds.
You will be able to taste a wider range of tasty flavors if you don't abuse them.

Reactions: AmandaRose

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Green tea!
Oh yeah I love green tea. A colleague of mine once made me a cup of something called toasted rice tea (or something like that), it was really really nice. I wish I knew where to buy it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Any health alternatives to breathing?
Ventilation tube?

D

Deleted User

Oh yeah I love green tea. A colleague of mine once made me a cup of something called toasted rice tea (or something like that), it was really really nice. I wish I knew where to buy it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ventilation tube?
Toasted rice tea can be made by you just by using rice afaik.
Green tea is also great for cakes. [Without sugar preferably]

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that's cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then...