HD vs Full HD vs 4K. FPS vs Res. What are the benefits?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I partially agree with the OP. Things look a lot smoother at 1080p compared to 720p, but that's the main difference. Games are more limited by the texture resolution IMO, so they don't really look more detailed at higher resolutions much of the time, but under certain conditions or with certain games they do. It's easier on the eyes because you don't see any jaggies, and for me, that's worth it, but it requires a lot more GPU power than the improvement is really worth if your current hardware can't handle it well. Better to have a lower resolution with higher graphics settings and 60 FPS, than a higher resolution with lower graphics settings and 60 FPS, the graphics settings make a bigger difference than the resolution. However FPS is more important than anything else to a certain point. If the FPS gain is massive (like going up 20 FPS, from 20-40 or 40-60 for example), I'll turn down the settings, but if the FPS gain isn't that big and the FPS is already 40+ and doesn't drop much below that, I'm fine with leaving the settings turned up.

As for 4K, you supposedly can't even tell the difference from 1080p unless you have abnormally good eyesight, or you sit way too close to the screen. I'm talking about using a TV as a monitor (or using a 32" monitor) and sitting as close to it as you would a smaller monitor. At that point you would tell the difference easily, but an average person sitting a normal distance away from a TV or a regular-sized monitor wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That's just what I've read on some website, don't remember which one it was but it was one of the big ones. I think they're right though, it obviously depends on your screen and how far away you sit as well as your eyesight, but if I can't see individual pixels and edges look smooth, how is upgrading to 4K going to improve anything?
I didn't notice much of a difference going from a 720p phone to an 1080p one, things might look a tiny bit smoother but it's so miniscule that I can't tell.

tl;dr It really depends on your screen size and how far away you sit whether it's worth it or not. For most people, 4K won't make much of a difference, but there are exceptions of course. 1080p is a reasonable screen resolution and if you have the hardware to run games well at that resolution, it's preferrable, but if you don't, it's not a big loss.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I partially agree with the OP. Things look a lot smoother at 1080p compared to 720p, but that's the main difference. Games are more limited by the texture resolution IMO, so they don't really look more detailed at higher resolutions much of the time, but under certain conditions or with certain games they do. It's easier on the eyes because you don't see any jaggies, and for me, that's worth it, but it requires a lot more GPU power than the improvement is really worth if your current hardware can't handle it well. Better to have a lower resolution with higher graphics settings and 60 FPS, than a higher resolution with lower graphics settings and 60 FPS, the graphics settings make a bigger difference than the resolution. However FPS is more important than anything else to a certain point. If the FPS gain is massive (like going up 20 FPS, from 20-40 or 40-60 for example), I'll turn down the settings, but if the FPS gain isn't that big and the FPS is already 40+ and doesn't drop much below that, I'm fine with leaving the settings turned up.

As for 4K, you supposedly can't even tell the difference from 1080p unless you have abnormally good eyesight, or you sit way too close to the screen. I'm talking about using a TV as a monitor (or using a 32" monitor) and sitting as close to it as you would a smaller monitor. At that point you would tell the difference easily, but an average person sitting a normal distance away from a TV or a regular-sized monitor wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That's just what I've read on some website, don't remember which one it was but it was one of the big ones. I think they're right though, it obviously depends on your screen and how far away you sit as well as your eyesight, but if I can't see individual pixels and edges look smooth, how is upgrading to 4K going to improve anything?
I didn't notice much of a difference going from a 720p phone to an 1080p one, things might look a tiny bit smoother but it's so miniscule that I can't tell.

tl;dr It really depends on your screen size and how far away you sit whether it's worth it or not. For most people, 4K won't make much of a difference, but there are exceptions of course. 1080p is a reasonable screen resolution and if you have the hardware to run games well at that resolution, it's preferrable, but if you don't, it's not a big loss.
Oh I know its true plus it depends on what you looking at too

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh I know its true plus it depends on what you looking at too
What's more important when it comes to screens nowadays is the color balance, contrast, and such. Those can make a big difference and people might get a better monitor with a higher resolution, but also better color balance and contrast and think the resolution is what makes the difference, simply because it looks better.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's more important when it comes to screens nowadays is the color balance, contrast, and such. Those can make a big difference and people might get a better monitor with a higher resolution, but also better color balance and contrast and think the resolution is what makes the difference, simply because it looks better.
Ohh I know and a good refresh rate

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always go with performance. Once the game runs 60FPS or faster, then I start tweaking settings to make it look better. I don't like laggy and poor Frame rate games

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My relatively cheap camera does 120fps, albeit at DVD sizes, various gopros are up around there too at decent res and plenty of cameras that cost a bit do 120fps as well.
Sure, but how often do you watch your own videos? Most of the time when you're watching something, it will be a movie, a TV or a youtube video, none of those are ever available in 120 FPS. YouTube can do 60 FPS now but I think that's the limit.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose it is the same deal as with 4k -- probably useless, or at least nothing to write home about, for most people but if you create the content for people to see/use then that is a different matter entirely. Though most of the time 120fps will probably be slowed down to something far lower for use as slow motion.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I go for performance over resolution 9 out of 10 times, the only exception is my laptop on which I have a tendency to select the native resolution of the panel whenever possible, but that's only because it tends to "work better" when set up that way. As far as I'm concerned, 1080p is "good enough" for now, I won't be jumping on the 4K bandwagon anytime soon. We're slowly but surely approaching the point where higher resolution of the screen will be irrelevant as we won't be able to perceive the individual pixels anyways. You already have to be ridiculously close to a 1080p screen in order to distinguish one pixel from another on an average-sized living room TV, 4K doesn't provide as big of a "boost" as better performance. The difference between 30FPS and 60FPS is more perceptible to me than the difference between 1080p and 4K in standard living room conditions at an optimum viewing distance.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can tell the difference between 720 & 1080p pretty easily but the difference between 30 and 60fps is really, really obvious at all times. If you're using a small monitor 1080p probably isn't nescessary at all but 60fps actually does improve gameplay/response time so that's why I choose performance. Really though it's all down to good game design. Plenty of great games have shitty resolutions and/or framerates and are still fun to play, but naturally a constant 60+fps is always nice. Playing a KOF or Street Fighter game at 30fps would be a fucking disaster.

Also, Okami is another good example of great art direction trumping raw horsepower. I just don't see the big deal if a game is low res if it's fun to play, but that's probably because I mostly play old games. Suikoden 2, the game my avatar is inspired by, has some sexy looking sprites and as with most 2d games in the 32-bit era, it runs at 60fps at almost all times. It's primitive as fuck by today's standards but the art style is really nice, and the spell effects STILL look good.(FFIX has some sexy spell effects too)

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4