HD (1080p) CCTV roll out begins in UK - infrared filter, face recog.

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 2,196
  • Replies 17
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted_171835

OP

Surveillance cams now offer up to 29 megapixels, surpassing many cameras used by professional photographers.

Manufacturer's figures suggest there will be 129,299 HD CCTV cameras in the UK by the end of 2012. The HDCCTV Alliance has predicted that number would rise to over 3.7 million by 2016.

"It's the ability to pick out your face in a crowd from a camera which is probably half a mile away."

He also flagged that research was being carried out to pair the technology with facial recognition software to run captured images against databases of known offenders.

The UK is far from being the only country to utilise the technology. a study by RNCOS suggests the global CCTV market will be worth about $23.5bn (£14bn) a year by the end of 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19812385

QyJSQ.jpg

(real ad)

Reactions: 1 person

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Put one in my block of flats, because if that drunken bastard on the landing tries to force my door one more time tonight I'm going to slit his throat.

Reactions: 2 people

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't mind, it will make it a lot safer in the UK and potential criminals will be less inclined to commit a crime if they know they are being watched.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt a camera would stop anyone, London holds some daft record for a silly amount of cameras already and you still see idiots out pulling off crimes

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well so far more cameras just leads to more unwatched footage from most of the studies I saw, I am curious to see how well the facial recognition works as well- person tracking is one thing but I have played with some facial recog stuff that needs a good photo to work properly (nice lighting, no mask/beard/scarf/hood all with a proper angle...) not barely 20fps* atop a 5m high pole.

*massively high res, lossless or nearly so from hundreds of cameras.... nice bandwidth issues there.

"It's the ability to pick out your face in a crowd from a camera which is probably half a mile away."
Although I certainly appreciate a proper CCD surely it is not the CCD but the lens it is attached to. Of course these are the same fools that leave would be confidential info out and about and then say "the cameras of the day" when film has had that resolution (and more) for decades so I do not expect much.

Edit- I just looked at the ad..... phoneboxes still exist? (I say that as a person that does not have a mobile phone either and so could conceivably need one).

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

OP
I don't mind, it will make it a lot safer in the UK and potential criminals will be less inclined to commit a crime if they know they are being watched.

Griffiths (2003) found evidence of an initial diffusion of benefits in the control area in the form of a 22% decrease in recorded crime during the first 12 months following the installation of CCTV in the target area. Again, the suggestion was put forward by the author that increased media interest upon installation of the project may have been responsible for this initial effect but, once offenders had worked out where the cameras were, with time, this effect wore off.

http://www.scotland....9/12/03151641/6

CCTV cameras don't do much for preventing crime.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
these are for anti-terror not just normal crimes, with automated facial-recognition

Alas that excuse is wearing pretty thin if it works at all- pretty much every law/agency/ninja hiring policy established under that guise has seen feature creep and law enforcement types abuse it/use it as a justification for all sorts of things.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
Since the economy went down we have more and more protests, eventually they will spread to the UK, this is the real reason for hd cameras, crowd control.This is how fascism is enforced in the 21´st century.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice Illuminati all seeing eyes there on that advert- then again, why suspect anything less...

It's got little to do with crime watching, but more on keeping a watch on the entire population a la 1984, as has already been quoted.

Maybe now they won't get away with Photoshopping CCTV footage to match their stories.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi