Hacking Haven’t used emuNAND in years. What works now?

Mayhem1124

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a 3DS XL with 9.0 sysNAND. I haven’t played around on it since rxtools was a thing. I own a gateway, but the cartridge is in storage. What’s a good replacement for rxtools now to get to boot my emuNAND without my gateway cartridge? Like I said, it’s been a while since I’ve messed with anything, lol.

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Your main problem most likely will be your CFW which won't necessarily support the latest firmwares. You'd need to switch to another CFW such as Luma, but they don't support old entrypoints anymore, they use new ones that are tons better (no more menuhax that fails 1 time out of 10 and that doubles the boot time).
On the new entrypoint, b9s, an emuNAND is no longer needed. You can keep it of course, but it's probably going to bring more problems than solutions (like when you want to upgrade your SD card, you have to think about your emuNAND...).

The guide is here https://3ds.hacks.guide/

I guess the best plan for you is to disable menuhax, follow that guide to the end to get b9s and Luma, then once everything is working (but everything is working on your sysNAND which is not where you have all your data), you have a choice:
  • tell Luma to use your emuNAND
  • move your emuNAND to your sysNAND

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your main problem most likely will be your CFW which won't necessarily support the latest firmwares. You'd need to switch to another CFW such as Luma, but they don't support old entrypoints anymore, they use new ones that are tons better (no more menuhax that fails 1 time out of 10 and that doubles the boot time).
On the new entrypoint, b9s, an emuNAND is no longer needed. You can keep it of course, but it's probably going to bring more problems than solutions (like when you want to upgrade your SD card, you have to think about your emuNAND...).

The guide is here https://3ds.hacks.guide/

I guess the best plan for you is to disable menuhax, follow that guide to the end to get b9s and Luma, then once everything is working (but everything is working on your sysNAND which is not where you have all your data), you have a choice:
  • tell Luma to use your emuNAND
  • move your emuNAND to your sysNAND
well done the only thing i can think of that you could have included the benefits of not needing emunand (like the initial 2 gigs of sd space saved or not needing to install dsiware and gba vc titles on both nands), although he did mention he owns a gateway and so if he still wants to use it (although there is no reason he should) he will need an emunand on 11.2 or lower, as gateway has dropped support for their product. also a reminder that all he needs to do to disable menuhax is boot sysnand and change the theme . . . ok so thats 3 things (sue me) . . . but i mean it well done i like useful posts like yours. keep it up.:mthr:

Reactions: Enkuler

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
1. There is no longer need for EmuNAND (unless you want to mess with system stuff)
2. Luma is your friend. It is currently the best (and possibly the only reguraly maintained cfw).Follow this and you'll good to go.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Mayhem1124

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. So basically all I really ever used it for was playing roms and downloaded .cias and extracting save data on games to edit later on my pc. At this point, nothing I have on my 32GB SD card is of any use anymore since it’s all outdated. Don’t really care about the games and such on it since I could always redownload them. Should I just completely wipe it and the emuNAND and follow one of those tutorials? I’m just so nervous because I remember years back finding a 3DS with 9.0 was rare and something to treasure, you know? Can/should I just start from scratch? As I said, I don’t have my gateway anymore right now anyways. I just want to be able to hack my Pokémon games again and play roms.

I’m a female btw, lol.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don’t really care about the games and such on it since I could always redownload them. Should I just completely wipe it and the emuNAND
no need the guide has a section at the end to import your emunand to your sysnand

I remember years back finding a 3DS with 9.0 was rare and something to treasure, you know?
because you can install cfw for free while the free method was patched on higher firmwares and menuhax allowed for a crude cfw autoboot, however now cfw can be installed on the latest fw for free as well and b9s (the exploit used for modern cfw's) has the greatest (most accurate and fastest in boot sequence) autoboot available

omegart

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was on 9.2 emunand with menuhax as entrypoint and updated the system to luma without any problems using the link posted by Enkuler. You should do the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I get what they were trying to say but what the ad actually says is "we tried to cram a ton of... +1