Gaming Have emunand. No idea what to play now.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For 3 years, I've bought pretty much every 3DS games I wanted to play and since I paid for them, I actually sat down and played from start to finish. Now a few days ago, I grabbed my spare 10.3, downgraded and installed emunand, I realised that I can have a library of 3DS games at my fingertips... and I have no idea which one to play.

Tried a few minutes of Bravely Default. Stopped and then jumped onto Persona Q, then wanted to try out Yoshi's New Island then finally went back online to look up more CIA files. Then it hit me. I was in the same situation with the DS when the R4 came round. Tons of games. Only a few minutes to try them out because I get impatient with potential awesome games because of a slow beginning.

tl;dr no idea what to play because I want to try them all out.

AyanamiRei

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just think as if you were buying the game or you will never feel invested into any game anymore. Don't download games who don't really interest you, just because it is free. Make the same elimination process as when you were paying for them. (well, I think we should buy the games we really wished, but anyway... ^^")
You have the chance to know about your past behavior, so force it back.

I made the error to introduce my brother to videogames when he was very young (somewhere in elementary school) through 16bits emulation. Seeing how he had literally access to everything, he never actually finished anything, simply asking for a new game every few hours (even minutes): the most he took out of a single emulated game was maybe 4-5hours (and it was an RPG!). And then he tried to apply this to consoles and physical games once he got access to more money... Last year, after more than 10 years, he succeeded to play games "for real".

Since you are older, naturally, you will be able to showcase some focus/concentration to avoid this. ^^

Last edited by AyanamiRei,

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Try playing games in other languages, French, Spanish or even Japanese.
I, for example, almost finished "Solatorobo Sore Kara Coda e" in Japanese, and then bought it when it was available in my country, and finished it.
It gives you another way of playing the games, not for being more complicated mechanics, just because you must pay more attention, and with it, you stay more time with it.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
This is exactly why I don't enjoy playing pirated games. I used to pirate original Xbox games and knowing I didn't have to pay for the games meant I downloaded a game, played for a few minutes, and when it got tough I moved on. I never felt emotionally invested in the games I was playing. I much prefer to buy my games as it makes sure I only play games I know I will really enjoy and invest time playing (not to mention rewarding the developers for their work...)

Reactions: AyanamiRei

Osga21

Full Time Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, that's what happened to me. You need to choose a game that you wanted to beat even before you had the potential to gangplanck it. For me it was Shovel Knight and Phoenix Wright Trilogy.Other than that, Olli Olli is pretty cool, even though I had already bought it on PC, the Picross games are an excellent way to kill time and you can always beat Hyrule Wrriors before it's out on the non japanese markets, since the game is in english, even in the JP release. Anotehr game that is also really cool is Taiko, which, even though it's completely in japanese has pretty straightforward menus and there are a ton of guides.
Hope I could help

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having emunand changed the way I play video games. If one is not immediately appealing, I let it hang around for a while like a mediocre book. It is now convenient to switch games. And backup saves all in one place.

I often switch off between one intense/tedious game like Bravely Default or Pokemon and one lite game like Animal Crossing/Happy Home. Bored of hybridizing flowers? Time to mop up those last few (hundred!) pokemon hiding in Hoennn. Can't stand any more JRPG? Do some interior decorating.

I wish 3DS had more games that were at least high school reading level. Or that they had done more with AI in Animal Crossing. Even Dr. Sbaitso- or Eliza-style spitting your own text back at you would be preferable to the current extreme repetitiveness. Perhaps, as suggested above, I should try playing in a language I can hardly understand like Japanese or German to break up the monotony.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
this is literally a two day problem for me.

like, when i got a ds flashcard, i was trying out games for a few minutes at a time for two days. then i had tried everything i wanted to see firsthand and began playing normally, occassionally even buying a game, if only for multiplayer purposes.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Quick note, Yoshi's New Island is just awful.
I say play Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, they finally went back to their roots compared to Gates. It's still pretty easy, but not stupid easy like Gates.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am kinda in the same boat, just slightly. I have Pokemon X, Alpha Sapphire, Devil Survivor 2 RB, Kid Icarus, NSMB2, DKCR3D, Rune Factory 4, and Star Fox 3D. I was having a hard time getting into any sort of game, but after really forcing myself to dive into the world of Devil Survivor, I think I am hooked for now. Its probably the longest and most complex game I have on my Gateway right now. It seems that if a game is more complex, it tends to need more momentum to get going. But once you get the game rolling, you tend to be hooked. Anyways, I digress...

So my advice is pick a game and go. The others will be there when you finish. Either that or only have one or 2 games installed at a time. I find that helps. Props to @emigre for that tip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn