Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX Hacking Thread

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by dj505, Mar 27, 2017.

1. dj505
    OP

dj505 Inexperienced Romhacker

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Most likely at the arcade
    I know this isn't exactly the most popular game to hack or mess around with but I think it deserves its own thread, due to the lack of information elsewhere on this subject.

All the game's files are in bcstm, dsc, or bin extensions. Dsc files are still mostly a mystery, although custom songs have been made (and I have no clue how). Most of the game's files are in .bin format, and are actually disguised as more files such as CTPK textures, Nintendo archives (.narc files), camera/stage/animation data, 3D models, and more.

Also check out the new Mirai Toolkit, a collection of tools I put together to make hacking easier. It includes many pre-existing tools as well as one or two custom ones made specifically for this game!

~Textures~
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    ~Chart editing~
    ~Music editing~
    Anyway, please feel free to share any info you've found on this topic! There's still lots that has yet to be figured out, such as proper dsc editing and such.

I've made a public document for information that anyone can edit. Misuse WILL cause it to be locked and removed. Please don't be a jerk and ruin it for everyone. This will be used for documenting information, filetypes, and everything related to hacking this game.

Also, before anyone else mentions it, no nsfw mods or content.

Last edited by dj505, Jul 10, 2017
    OkazakiTheOtaku likes this.

2. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Quick update, I found this chart editor in a post on the VocaloidOtaku forum that can be used to edit the dsc files.

3. ElijahZAwesome

ElijahZAwesome GBATemp's official... uh... uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    Holy crap thanks for finding that editor, I've been looking everywhere! (Also thanks for.. thanking me :) )

EDIT: also, I can't test right now, but I bet you can reimport models with EFE, since it can export. Also, how do you edit the moflex files?

EDIT EDIT: you can just find the list of pv id association from a text file in the pc folder I think, but I bet you already knew that lol

Last edited by ElijahZAwesome, Mar 28, 2017
  4. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    I could import the files with EFE, but I couldn't save the file because it would error out. Ended up using the original Ohana3DS to import files.

The moflex files weren't too difficult. I had to track down a copy of the Mobiclip editor (I think it was) along with the Nintendo licence, so it's probably not legal to share it here :/ Wasn't very difficult to find tho.

Last edited by dj505, Mar 28, 2017
  5. ElijahZAwesome

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    Oh okay, thnx

6. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Ok, so the only way to edit pretty much anything in the aet_en folder is through hex editing, according to Stewie1.0. I have absolutely no clue where to even start with this. Wish me luck.

7. ElijahZAwesome

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    Good luck! I don't know anything about hex editing lol

8. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    OK I FIGURED OUT HOW TO EDIT THE FILES IN THE aet_en FOLDER!

Apparently they're actually ctpk files! I opened the files in a hex editor and reoved EVERYTHING up until the line that starts with "CTPK" then used an extraction tool, and it worked perfectly!

ElijahZAwesome likes this.
  9. ElijahZAwesome

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    So what does this accomplish exactly? Is this the games actual code or menu images?

EDIT: never mind rechecked the OP. Once I can get back on my computer I'm gonna try to work with that DSC editor.

Last edited by ElijahZAwesome, Mar 29, 2017
  10. ElijahZAwesome

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    What converter did you use? the only ones I know of don't convert bcstm to wav or anything for that matter.[/spoiler]

11. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    I used EFE to convert bcstm to wav, then to convert it back I used this one. You have to select bcstm instead of brstm from the dropdown.

12. ElijahZAwesome

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    oh i didnt know EFE converted those as well, woops!

13. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Neither did I until a few days ago haha. Just open the bcstm file, click on file > save as... and make sure you select wav

14. ElijahZAwesome

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    thanks for the help,

(lol im making a undertale mod of this game and i feel both cringe and happiness at the same time)

15. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Ok that sounds amazing tbh XD If you need anyone to test it I'd be happy to help!

16. ElijahZAwesome

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    right now im just working on dscs and music, maybe ill try editing the pvs??? im basing as many songs as i can from animated pvs instead of 3d ones so hopefully i can make it work... im also debating whether or not to make it the original or the vocaloid a cappella cover, ()

also, i have almost nothing done so far cause its so hard to find out how to do it XD So ive only just started. but when something even testable is made ill let you know!

Its also REALLY annoying to test dscs becuase SD cards...

Last edited by ElijahZAwesome, Mar 31, 2017
  17. ElijahZAwesome

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    just checking now, i dont think EFE supports bcstm. do i have the wrong version or something?

18. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Weird, it's what I've been using... Try dragging and dropping the bcstm file into EFE. If that doesn't work download the newest version

19. ElijahZAwesome

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    i did both, but i guess anyway i seems the loopingaudioconverter does it as well so ill use that.

20. ElijahZAwesome

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    is there a way to straight up make a song shorter or longer so i dont have to heavily edit the song im importing?