Hatred Reveal Trailer Released, Causes a Stir

Are you OK with this kind of games?

• Yes! Killing people in videogames doesn't harm anyone after all, right?

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • No! That's way too much violence for anyone, even if it's not real.

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's a shame that only minimum common denominator/politically correct settings became acceptable for videogames. Especially since said generic videogames still fail to have good and interesting story/writing/storytelling regardless, so really what's the point in limiting yourself, might as well mix it up sometimes.

Books and movies can be about all sorts of alternative shit and they get praised for exploring different things, or bring up different perspectives. Games? Nah, if it's not the objectively good guy going after the objectively bad guys to set things objectively right, it's shit.

I wonder who the immature ones really are in this debate.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think main problem is that producers ain't exactly gonna risk money on something that is outside of their comfort zone and it's quite difficult to create good mechanics without combat. Or should i say mechanics of for example of crafting weren't explored as deep and quite often it becomes more of pain in the ass in games rather than fun. Then again indie games do a good job of exploring those, success of games like minecraft or terrarria shows it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I knew it was as easy as this to manufacture controversy I would have done something long ago, sadly it looks like I would have to put some effort into it now. Having my game banned from neogaf sounds like the "me but slightly older" equivalent of the rite of passage that was being banned from mcdonalds (surprisingly hard to do when you do not eat their food) when I was a spotty teenager.

I hope that person did report it, indeed I would love to be reading those right now. I imagine it will end up even better than the pokemon battle analyzer and that kept me chortling to myself for weeks.

Anyway time to see about making a musical playlist for this, Up Around the Bend by Creedence Clearwater Revival worked well for the trailer but I can only listen to that on loop about 30 times.

Perhaps

Maybe

and the classic

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This game reminds me of the scene from Dexter where this exact premise arises briefly. Like many have already mentioned in this thread, I think that the game is wrong in glorifying killing sprees and serial killers. As Dexter puts it, what kind of person in their right mind would want to be a monster?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think that the game is wrong in glorifying killing sprees and serial killers. As Dexter puts it, what kind of person in their right mind would want to be a monster?

Does it glorify such actions? The absence of parody, satire, condemnation or justification rooted loosely in one of those does not in turn mean glorification. Granted I tend to read things along the lines of "obviously I do not condemn these actions" in the same way as I read things that start "I'm not racist, but".

One being in their "right mind" that is an interesting question. A while back I read a book called "confessions of a sociopath" and in it the author detailed their exploits in running a website aimed at being a jumping off point for people discovering they were also sociopaths. She said she would routinely get people joining and thinking/wishing they were (to the point where filtering those was a considerable timesink), before going on to postulate that certain parts of society values a few of the traits associated with it -- there are no small number of businesses that were saved by thinking of employees in a more numerical sense, the stock market is long observed to be a protracted and endlessly repeated game of chicken and a certain ruthlessness has been observed in many a political leader over the years. Mind you those examples as possibly a bit different to the killing spree type.

Also amusing
spellwrong.jpg

Reactions: Ashtonx

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why this game seems so shocking to so many people. The main thing seems to be the mindless killing of innocent civilians, which can be done in plenty of games. I'd argue that those are actually worse, since often, using GTA as an example, killing civilians is something the player must choose to do. Either way, the game looks fun, but if all there is to it is running around killing people then it might get boring fast.

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does it glorify such actions? The absence of parody, satire, condemnation or justification rooted loosely in one of those does not in turn mean glorification. Granted I tend to read things along the lines of "obviously I do not condemn these actions" in the same way as I read things that start "I'm not racist, but".

One being in their "right mind" that is an interesting question.

True, I realize that it's pretty narrow-minded to judge something without being given the full context, in this case a trailer for an unreleased game. But at the same time, it's what they chose to show and because it's all they provided me with, that's all I'll be going off of when formulating my opinion on it. You're right though, I used "glorification" in the wrong sense, implying that the makers of the game idolize the actions they depict.

The one stickler I have with it is that they chose the medium of video games as a means to roll out such imagery. I think that in today's society, video games are quickly (and simply) dismissed as a form of relaxation and and enjoyment. It's this statement that's kept the age old "video game violence=real life violence" debate just barely alive for years, in my opinion, and as such make for the argument that the makers of the game are assuming people take pleasure in senseless violence. I guess that's why I instinctively took up the idea that they were glorifying serial killers. It's interesting to think that if the trailer had included inter titles like "Enter the mind of a serial killer and take your vengeance" (which could be taken as the "message" of the game makers), the game wouldn't be up for nearly as much discussion as it is now with it's sort of 3rd person neutral stance of just watching a character be evil.

I suppose that mention of "evil" sort of segues into what the definition of one being in the "right mind".

First off, that sounds like a really cool book and I will be going to look for it (which I guess proves its point in a certain sense, lol). I completely agree that certain clinically-recognized traits of sociopaths are generally accepted, if not desired, by people. To me, in a nutshell, it seems like a result of the romanticizing of said mental states in the same way people portray suicidal tendencies as being the characteristics of a tragic, misunderstood hero.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks hilariously over the top. I love it! I only hope the gameplay is good, though, as funny and fun as the trailer looks, if the thing plays like shit then its shit.

Reactions: Smuff

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't think this looks that much different from another game (that sure stirred up some controversy for a while, but then became like.. "omg GOTY 4 lyf").
Move the camera to a top-down perspective. Add 80s colours. Do it with pixel art... now you've got Hotline Miami. (Violence-wise).

Looks fun! :3

Reactions: Ashtonx

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this even considered a game first of all?
It looks more like a sociopath going on a mindless killing spree simulator.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Interesting, I would not have expected the "game or not?" stuff to come up here.

Anyway it looks like there are actions you can do, actions which may even take timing and skill to pull off, the ability to die/"fail" and the ability to get a high score* or test skills.

*this may or may not end up falling under the "but you were the one that defined the challenge" banner.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I could use this very description for the vast majority of AA/AAA games and a good portion of indies.
Infact, show videogames to someone who never played any and they'll tell you exactly that.

But the fact that the killing (or any action you do) is not real makes it okay to have things that do not reflect real life rules and standards.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Next they'll need to make a game called "Racism".

In all honesty, I really like what I'm seeing of Hatred and hope it comes out for 360, PS3, PS4 and XO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o