Has RetroArch made individual emulators kind of obsolete?

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retroarch has made emulation more convenient for lazy people.

Standalone emulators will almost always offer a better and more user friendly experience.

Thank god for this "Lazy" person, where Retroarch ran Killzone allot better than PPSSPP, without me tweeking it. :)

• Haha
Reactions: duwen

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Retroarch is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. You'll have a better experience using individual emulators especially when it comes to PCSX2 and Dolphin as well as emulators for older computers such as the Amiga and C64.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank god for this "Lazy" person :)
Hey, I'm all for being lazy too! ;)

At some point, I've tried Retroarch on pretty much every device I have that supports it and I've either realised that (in the case of on 3ds) there's a limited number of systems I want to emulate on that device so I'm better off just installing those two or three standalones, or (in the case of the PC RA version) if it can't support all of the romsets I intend to throw at it I may aswell stick to standalones... and some of the standalones I still use were either abandoned or deprecated years ago!

• Love
Reactions: AncientBoi

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

At some point, I've tried Retroarch on pretty much every device I have that supports it and I've either realised that (in the case of on 3ds) there's a limited number of systems I want to emulate on that device so I'm better off just installing those two or three standalones, or (in the case of the PC RA version) if it can't support all of the romsets I intend to throw at it I may aswell stick to standalones... and some of the standalones I still use were either abandoned or deprecated years ago!

I use it for my PSP Games on my comp. :D

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Same in the case of the 3DS. Standalones by bubble2k16 just feel better to me, they're simple and intuitive and they work. I only use RA for PSX.

Dyhr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of what you said are compatibility issues, for what I understood with a software (ThrottleStop) and with some pieces of hardware (like the wireless device). All of that is true and fall onto what I said, we are forced to windows because stuff is developed for windows a lot more, not because windows is good. The vicious cycle: More users on windows > people/companies develops for windows > people use windows because it has the software they want > more users on windows... and so on...

Now about the lack of compatibility with laptops, that's just not true anymore (like years now). Everything like sleep, close lid, battery management, low battery warnings and actions all will work on Linux. What may happen is that the manufacturer of the laptop may have used a very cheap board that has not linux support on driver side. It is not an OS fault, but it still affects how viable the OS is for many people.

Back on the main topic, retroarch is just that many times. Lots of people are on retroarch, so developers release stuff with that in mind, so more people end up using retroarch and the thing go on in that cycle. Even that you can make emulators cores work otherwise, regular users like the ready to go solution much more.

They're compatibility issues and UI issues that shouldn't exist. A great many things on Linux are made far more complicated than they should be because "command lines are how we've always done it". There's very little effort to make things simpler or more accessible because that's not how open-source works.

It's part of the reason Android is so maligned to them. It's a Linux OS that's easily accessible. You'll hear about how "terrible" it is from the Linux community at large because it... actually provides things to you and lets you alter things in an interface that isn't from 1976.

A good example of how disgusting the open-source community can act at times can be seen with Audacity, the audio editing program. It applies an audio effect called "dynamic range compression" without your permission every time you process audio. Any attempt to inquire about it leads to a disgusting wall of "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, RECOMPILE THE PROGRAM YOURSELF WITHOUT IT!!!" as if you're being unreasonable for asking for an audio editing program to actually function the way it should.

Best part? Well this is another thing with Audacity. Their instructions on how to compile it are tediously long and don't even work. Yep. You can follow every step to a T, you're not compiling that. You'll get ignored or berated for ever pointing that out. Or this gets to the other part of the open-source community: severe hatred for Windows users. Audacity's community, and I've seen this with quite a few open-source projects, outright brag about how much they hate Windows and its users to the point of having nonsense instructions "to frustrate them" or making the programs just not run properly on Windows.

A similar scenario is the screen recorder OBS. They've obstinately resisted any attempt to have a recording morph to the frame rate of the program and only let you pick pre-selected standards. If programs like Afterburner and so on can read frame rates, why can't OBS? Why do I have to then process my file afterwards for effective telecining/etc. that shouldn't even exist just because I have to use a "nearest neighbor" frame rate?

Open source projects can be great but the communities are way too often utter trash because you have a den of people who feel like living deities because they're not a big corporation and they provide a product to you, not for you.

Boards do not differ very much. We're not in an era with many manufacturers and different ways to do things (of course as I say this, Dell is trying to push a new RAM standard for laptops... *sigh*), there's only a few making things. If there's a Linux not supporting some boards it's begging a question why, because it's not going to differ very much in function or form than any others.

• Haha
Reactions: AkikoKumagara

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried RetroArch a couple of times because everyone kept saying how "simple" and plug-and-play it is. Turns out it's not so simple because you're bombards with multiple options for things like "video", "audio", etc.

I specifically tried using the PC-98 emulator in RetroArch and ran into endless problems like "put the bios files in the emulator's directory" and no one really specified WHERE that directory was. I did end up finding where that directory was, but the emulator just didn't work for me- or rather the specific game I was trying to play.

Not a great experience.

Interceptorv6

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No, because retroarch usability, mainly on UX is a piece of sht.
Post automatically merged:

No, because retroarch usability, mainly on UX is a piece of sht.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, standalone Génesis emulators like kega or blastem havent been updated in a while
I mean, it's Genesis so it's probably as stable as possible.

Recently, I downloaded DC/GCN games to my phone and installed the standalone emulators than use RetroArch as it seems to work better and games have their covers which is a cool feature.

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, rewind and shaders are the killer features in RetroArch and the fact that I can apply them to pretty much any 32-bit or earlier game is pretty great. With rewind not available for PS2 and later generations and also less need for shaders, I'll usually use standalones for those while wishing I was using RetroArch.

The interface has a very steep learning curve, but it does become fairly intuitive once you get used to it. I do have to google things like "how do you get Retroarch to remember the last directory" fairly often though.

aquova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I liked RetroArch, but I frankly can't stand using it. I'm not sure what it is, but I find their UI incredibly unintuitive to use, even down to simple things like changing controller bindings. It's definitely gotten a lot better, I'll admit, and I do use it in situations where I have a controller-only interface, like a Steam Deck, but on my desktop machine I always use standalone emulators.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TL;DR NO. It has not.

Interesting thread read. I shun away from RA as well, every time I try, on any system. As said above, "the UI is sht". Nothing intuitive about it. Stand-alone is usually easier to deal with, and many (most?) RA cores come directly from stand-alone emulators anyway.

Provenance-emu for iOS, uses some RA cores, as well as other cores, with a UI that isn't as hard to learn. Dunno a better emulator for iOS (or rather... emulator suite). It even has more than 1 mame core to choose from, when launching arcade games.

C64? Nothing better than vice. The 3DS port is hands down, the best C64 emulator wrt UI/compatibility.

TBH though, it's all personal preference. It depends on what you are trying to do, what emulator does that thing better, and what you can setup easily. MAME doesn't have bells and whistle, but it's main goal is accuracy and documentation of the hardware, not features.

I still do not understand the Windows 11 hate. I have an Intel laptop, and an AMD desktop, and I have not had a single problem with either. I use vmware for linux. I use vmware for MacOS (although admittedly extremely hard to get running in the first place (especially on newer AMD chips)... but once you do, it's the ONLY way to use xcode).

aquova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still do not understand the Windows 11 hate.
I'm no fan of Windows in general, but we recently switched from Win10 to Win11 at work and... I don't really see the hate either. Granted, since it's my work machine I don't really modify too many settings or install nearly as many programs as I would otherwise, but it seems to be a disproportionate amount of hate for what seems to be some different menus and icon themes.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm no fan of Windows in general, but we recently switched from Win10 to Win11 at work and... I don't really see the hate either. Granted, since it's my work machine I don't really modify too many settings or install nearly as many programs as I would otherwise, but it seems to be a disproportionate amount of hate for what seems to be some different menus and icon themes.
Yea, changing (and moving) the main menu was really a pain. But I've had zero unexplained crashes and none of my games or software has had any issues. Seems every bit as stable as Windows 10 was for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here