What do you think of the Switch as an emulation machine?

toolazytosearchitmyself

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
In this thread I'm asking about a hacked Switch running unofficial emulation software, not the retro content included in the Switch online service.

I often play 8 and 16 bit games using Retroarch on the Switch. I've probably made a mistake in the settings but for some reason, even with integer scaling enabled games run at full screen stretching some pixels which I don't like. I tried emulating 3DS games but the Citra Retroarch core is unstable and too many games run unplayably slowly. Other systems I haven't tried yet. How does it fare with the PSP, PS1, PS2, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, GameCube and Wii?

The hybrid nature of the Switch is a huge plus compared to other emulation solutions. Do retro games look nice on the OLED model? I imagine that the Switch is like a poor man's Steam Deck for emulation. Does it have any advantages niche or otherwise? Would you prefer to use a Switch or Xbox Series S/X and why?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Forget about them. Wii games that run at 30 FPS may be playable if you OC Switch to max.
Switch is too weak for currently existing emulators to support them at some good level.

About PS1 - currently existing PCSX ReARMed is okayish. Performance is little embarrassing if you plan to play with upgraded visuals. There is currently DuckStation in works for Switch which has much better performance at cost of less precise emulation, though average player won't see a difference.

Last edited by masagrator,

Animage55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no comment on the switchs emulation potential as I stick to pc or android boxes, but I'm curious to know if you tried overclocking with sys clk for 3ds or more demanding stuff. Like did it make a difference? I heard the shield can run some gc games reliably and thats just a tegra x1 that isn't underclocked like the switches. I assume the payload you run would make a difference too. Like lakka vs android vs atmosphere.

Last edited by Animage55,

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hmm, I think the Wii U is overall better in terms of capability and library but the Switch v1 is great since you get a better DS emulator and better Dreamcast and N64.

toolazytosearchitmyself

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have no comment on the switchs emulation potential as I stick to pc or android boxes, but I'm curious to know if you tried overclocking with sys clk for 3ds or more demanding stuff. Like did it make a difference? I heard the shield can run some gc games reliably and thats just a tegra x1 that isn't underclocked like the switches. I assume the payload you run would make a difference too. Like lakka vs android vs atmosphere.
I use Atmosphere to boot Retroarch using title redirection. Citra on Retroarch lets you overclock the CPU up to 1.75GHz.

Akumara

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I installed launchbox on switchroot for snes/nes/mega drive/sms with full coverart+complete set.
Its ok, but there is too much friction in loading the games and button mapping when you have different controllers.
PS1/PSP/N64 can work but your mileage may vary.
If you can afford a better handheld e.g steamdeck, that's probably best for emulation purposes.
Even a phone with a good controller is probably better than a switch in terms of how long it takes to setup and the compatibility of games on n64/ps1

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The psvita is a much better emulationstation. The switch is great, but ps1 games way better on the vita. I had the PSP, but then got a vita. After going back and forth on which one to keep, I decided on the vita.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything up to pre-PS2 sure, Saturn might give you issues though. Once you hit PS2 and above, it's hit or miss, mostly miss. If you want an emulation machine, you're better off getting a Steam Deck, Xbox Series S or best case scenario, just get a PC.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
I installed launchbox on switchroot for snes/nes/mega drive/sms with full coverart+complete set.
Its ok, but there is too much friction in loading the games and button mapping when you have different controllers.
PS1/PSP/N64 can work but your mileage may vary.
If you can afford a better handheld e.g steamdeck, that's probably best for emulation purposes.
Even a phone with a good controller is probably better than a switch in terms of how long it takes to setup and the compatibility of games on n64/ps1
Never had a psx game not work, and apart from KI2 and Quake 2 N64 is great

Last edited by M7L7NK7,

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
everything up to psx , anything above that results may vary
still had a great experice with psp,n64,and dreamcast
i heard lakka has the best performance for emulation if you don't mind dual booting

Arcanine9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everything after Dreamcast won't work.
PSP works great, even better than Dreamcast in my opinion, and that's obviously after Dreamcast even if its a handheld.
Post automatically merged:

it's garbage it can barely play it's own games properly so how did you think it would handle emulation?!
That's nonsense, I haven't had much trouble with emulation on Switch. Dreamcast runs fairly well, better than Vita, PSP has worked surprisingly great with little to no hiccups and of course older consoles run great too like SNES, PSX etc. It can even run the DS.

Last edited by Arcanine9,
Reactions: Kei00

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's nonsense, I haven't had much trouble with emulation on Switch. Dreamcast runs fairly well, better than Vita, PSP has worked surprisingly great with little to no hiccups and of course older consoles run great too like SNES etc. It can even run the DS.
This is a troll hating anything Switch related. Ignore him.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
everything up to psx , anything above that results may vary
still had a great experice with psp,n64,and dreamcast
i heard lakka has the best performance for emulation if you don't mind dual booting
I run Lakka for anything above PS1. Horizon struggles to play PSP and even DS. Lakka runs them perfectly without overclock. I can play some Dreamcast games in Horizon but anything more demanding than Seaman needs an overclock. I run Android simply to play Android games. My Switch and Windows Subsystem for Android are the only way I have to play Android games.

Animage55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I run Lakka for anything above PS1. Horizon struggles to play PSP and even DS. Lakka runs them perfectly without overclock. I can play some Dreamcast games in Horizon but anything more demanding than Seaman needs an overclock. I run Android simply to play Android games. My Switch and Windows Subsystem for Android are the only way I have to play Android games.
Do 3ds games run okay in lakka? I'd love to be able to play a link between worlds on my switch. Or would you be better off on android? When I upgrade to a 1tb sandisk extreme I was thinking about setting it up with an android partition and lakka before I transfer over my file based emunand stuff

Last edited by Animage55,

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do 3ds games run okay in lakka? I'd love to be able to play a link between worlds on my switch. Or would you be better off on android? When I upgrade to a 1tb sandisk extreme I was thinking about setting it up with android or lakka before I transfer over my filebased emunand stuff
Not sure. I play 3DS games on my 3DS. For the most part I also play DS games on my 3DS but there are a few games I like to play and not have to carry around two consoles. Looking at you, Meteos and Professor Layton.

Reactions: Animage55

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum