Has anyone ever used moddedhardware.com?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone isn't well-known/trusted in the modding scene already, there's no way in hell I'd send them my Switch or anything else worth nearly as much as that.
Find someone with real history and testimonials for that, they definitely exist.
That's the thing, people were vouching for him up until recently:
Screenshot_8-3-2024_20298_www.etsy.com.jpegScreenshot_8-3-2024_201652_www.etsy.com.jpeg
Post automatically merged:

Dang that sucks, he received my system on March 1st. He did comment on this thread saying that they are really busy with the switch modding service and it’s only 1 person working on them. Hopefully he isn’t a scammer as some people have commented on here that they have received their system back.
He really should have placed a limit on it, or canceled orders when he knew he was going to be busy with the stupid MIG Switch,

Reactions: CarpeOmnia777

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
-positive reviews-
This wouldn't be enough to convince me, personally. Positive reviews on commerce sites aren't foolproof.
Like I said, I'd personally require the person have an actual presence and history (and positive reputation) in the modding community, not just a storefront with a few hundred sales that can't be reasonably validated. You're trusting this person a lot by sending them something worth a couple hundred dollars, and if they haven't proven themselves to be trustworthy, it's not worth the risk. Even if you get your refund, you're out your console which is probably worth more than whatever service he was going to provide in the first place. He comes out ahead.

CarpeOmnia777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This wouldn't be enough to convince me, personally. Positive reviews on commerce sites aren't foolproof.
Like I said, I'd personally require the person have an actual presence and history (and positive reputation) in the modding community, not just a storefront with a few hundred sales that can't be reasonably validated. You're trusting this person a lot by sending them something worth a couple hundred dollars, and if they haven't proven themselves to be trustworthy, it's not worth the risk. Even if you get your refund, you're out your console which is probably worth more than whatever service he was going to provide in the first place. He comes out ahead.
k thanks

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There were also people I DM'd and commented with on Reddit, Facebook and X that all vouched for him also. Plus his status as a Mig Switch authorized reseller added "legitimacy" to his business in my eyes as well. Speaking of which, I have contacted the Mig Switch company and informed them that he has claimed to have received product, yet still hasn't fulfilled a single Mig Switch order on top of the other poor business practices he's doing. Maybe they, if anybody can get through to him and find out what's going on. This is exactly the kind of shit that happened with the allmiibo before that dude exit scammed as well.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
There were also people I DM'd and commented with on Reddit, Facebook and X that all vouched for him also. Plus his status as a Mig Switch authorized reseller added "legitimacy" to his business in my eyes as well. Speaking of which, I have contacted the Mig Switch company and informed them that he has claimed to have received product, yet still hasn't fulfilled a single Mig Switch order on top of the other poor business practices he's doing. Maybe they, if anybody can get through to him and find out what's going on. This is exactly the kind of shit that happened with the allmiibo before that dude exit scammed as well.
What's weird is he used his real name in that Email message posted earlier in the thread. I was able to confirm this because I found a very real social media presence under that name with years of history including posts about the Switch modding service from said personal account... seems a bit odd for a scammer to be that cocky/confident.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's weird is he used his real name in that Email message posted earlier in the thread. I was able to confirm this because I found a very real social media presence under that name with years of history including posts about the Switch modding service from said personal account... seems a bit odd for a scammer to be that cocky/confident.
That's what I thought too. I don't think it's an outright scam, but if he's sick of people talking shit and "harassing" him and his staff like he claims is happening, then he probably isn't in a real hurry to return people's property, let alone actually do work on it. A few people have issued chargebacks while he was still in possession of their systems. I wouldn't be surprised if he just smashed the fuck out of them for revenge. IDK, can't tell anything because this dude dropped off the face of the fucking earth. He could be injured or dead for all we know.

CarpeOmnia777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seems a bit odd for a scammer to be that cocky/confident.
I thought the same thing... I know the profile to be his. I matched up tattoos and everything. Scammer 101 is definitely don't put your face with the scam, so I thought it was strange. Truthfully, I don't think he set out to scam but with the pressure and, I imagine, a good bit of money and items coming his way, I could see how even a small amount of hassle could make one say fuck this and run because much like you said this is a grey area. There isn't much recourse for this kind of thing.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about this guy and couldn't remember his name. That guy is one of the biggest antagonist in GBATemp history. I wasn't victimized by him, but I remember he got a lot of people.
He’s the reason I no longer trust anyone to send consoles out.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a small update. Sent in another cancellation request. Not dealing with this nonsense.

View attachment 424972View attachment 424973
Is that Etsy? Explains why he responded there they are strict af with sellers

Either way, still scummy its not that hard to send an update sick or not. Clearly he does not respect anyone or their money

Also the soldering station is being replaced? Is he ordering it from aliexpress? lmao Its easy as hell to get another one

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also the soldering station is being replaced? Is he ordering it from aliexpress? lmao Its easy as hell to get another one
From all the money he's making on these bullshit installs, he should just be buying one of those highly marked up China soldering stations from NorthridgeFix 😂 NRF sells them for 2x what AliExpress does, but has stock and ships from within the country.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that Etsy? Explains why he responded there they are strict af with sellers

Either way, still scummy its not that hard to send an update sick or not. Clearly he does not respect anyone or their money

Yep, it was Etsy. The update about the soldering station was from his website. and yeah, assuming he orders it online and it ships out first thing tomorrow, then it will probably be at the very least another whole week to get it set up and begin work on systems again, assuming no shipping or other delays.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From all the money he's making on these bullshit installs, he should just be buying one of those highly marked up China soldering stations from NorthridgeFix 😂 NRF sells them for 2x what AliExpress does, but has stock and ships from within the country.
I got a nice hakko one from Amazon in less than 24 hours for like $70

Theres also always harbor freight too dude ain’t trying

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh the good news is that on Reddit people have gotten tracking numbers for their Mig Switch units, and they've actually been mailed out, so he is actually following through with that. I just want to take my business elsewhere if it's not too late.

CarpeOmnia777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, update. Dude says he was sick as an explanation for radio silence on all platforms for almost a week. I had already requested a refund. I've got that in hand. Also my switch is on its way back now so that's good.

I think it's as we've said he isn't an intentional scammer just has little/no respect for the provider-client communication process. Either way, I'm glad to be over that saga. Thanks to everyone for commiserating with me.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, update. Dude says he was sick as an explanation for radio silence on all platforms for almost a week. I had already requested a refund. I've got that in hand. Also my switch is on its way back now so that's good.

I think it's as we've said he isn't an intentional scammer just has little/no respect for the provider-client communication process. Either way, I'm glad to be over that saga. Thanks to everyone for commiserating with me.
I got a response as well, but I decided to rescind the refund requests and allow him to work on my system, as he promises it's coming up very soon, as in only 2-3 other systems are in front of it. When I get it back, I will take back every complaint I had except the lack of communication.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So first he couldn't work because he didn't have a soldering station and now he was sick? Which was it?

Honestly I'd hope no one else trusts this dude after this debacle with y'all almost losing your systems

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo