Hacking Has anyone ever forked iXtreme?

lisreal2401

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ask as I'm almost curious if a firmware capable of booting DVD5 backups (of original and even 360 backups) would be possible. This is honestly just me being very curious about how the 360 works and authenticates legit discs - not something to really use in practice. His firmwares seem to be a good base to work off of, but to my knowledge he's never released any of his sources. If I could cram it into the 256kb flash of a Lite on or BenQ, I would use 3.0 as a base and add the DVD5 calls accordingly. To my knowledge, the firmware simply won't accept a DVD5 backup as is right now. @FAST6191 I'm aware experimented with this at one point - what did you find out?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had a quick look at a disassembly and control code listing at one point. It was cursory enough and long enough ago that I would probably be better off starting from scratch again.

The only "fork" I am aware of is the 1.6NS firmware which was just 1.6 with the nostealth stuff (which usually required a specially burned DVD to be inserted first) autoloaded to dodge the protection thinking the newer waves were bad. I do not know exactly what was done for it but having done similar things for ROM hacks and cheats over the years it is usually very basic once you have drilled down deep enough to figure out what is going on.
This was before the AP2.5 stuff, let alone XGD3 stuff, as well and I have no idea what level of obfuscation or protection got employed with that one. Likewise no source, new or old, that I can point you are. There might be something for the really old xtreme stuff (note the lack of i) but if is it not mentioned on xbins then http://xbins.org/index.php?action=catsearch&searchtxt=XBOX360&startAt=360 then it probably does not exist.

You would probably be better hunting down whatever work was done on the first DVD replacement stuff. There was a homebrew one once, it used a DVD drive that only came in a handful of Dell systems if memory serves. Most of it was on xboxhacker which has since gone but you might find a link to it that wayback machine could get at.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a quick look at a disassembly and control code listing at one point. It was cursory enough and long enough ago that I would probably be better off starting from scratch again.

The only "fork" I am aware of is the 1.6NS firmware which was just 1.6 with the nostealth stuff (which usually required a specially burned DVD to be inserted first) autoloaded to dodge the protection thinking the newer waves were bad. I do not know exactly what was done for it but having done similar things for ROM hacks and cheats over the years it is usually very basic once you have drilled down deep enough to figure out what is going on.
This was before the AP2.5 stuff, let alone XGD3 stuff, as well and I have no idea what level of obfuscation or protection got employed with that one. Likewise no source, new or old, that I can point you are. There might be something for the really old xtreme stuff (note the lack of i) but if is it not mentioned on xbins then http://xbins.org/index.php?action=catsearch&searchtxt=XBOX360&startAt=360 then it probably does not exist.

You would probably be better hunting down whatever work was done on the first DVD replacement stuff. There was a homebrew one once, it used a DVD drive that only came in a handful of Dell systems if memory serves. Most of it was on xboxhacker which has since gone but you might find a link to it that wayback machine could get at.

You've got me pretty intrigued with the mention of that dell drive being used to boot homebrew... I'm sure whatever the exploit was, was more than likely patched long ago, but I wonder if something similar could be achieved.... Time for some digging....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was not a homebrew as in custom code, such things were just king kong, JTAG, RGH and whatever has followed since. More homebrew as in not made by a commercial company like xecuter or something and doable with "off the shelf" parts.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was not a homebrew as in custom code, such things were just king kong, JTAG, RGH and whatever has followed since. More homebrew as in not made by a commercial company like xecuter or something and doable with "off the shelf" parts.

Oh okay, so the dell drive was for burning discs (with custom code) that were already hacked? Or eligible for the king kong hack or w/e? If I understand you correctly....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was literally a drive replacement a la xk3y, Wasabi360 and such like, except it used an off the shelf (or would be if it was not only found in certain OEM Dell machines) DVD drive that would have the 360 think a normal DVD drive was plugged in. Any homebrew you got out of it would have been stuff you loaded off the back of a JTAG hack, RGH hack, king kong hack or whatever other methods of running custom code there are for the 360.
However the code to do it and the drive protocol, handshakes and whatever else was covered by the project, such a thing seemingly being what the OP was heading towards.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was literally a drive replacement a la xk3y, Wasabi360 and such like, except it used an off the shelf (or would be if it was not only found in certain OEM Dell machines) DVD drive that would have the 360 think a normal DVD drive was plugged in. Any homebrew you got out of it would have been stuff you loaded off the back of a JTAG hack, RGH hack, king kong hack or whatever other methods of running custom code there are for the 360.
However the code to do it and the drive protocol, handshakes and whatever else was covered by the project, such a thing seemingly being what the OP was heading towards.

Hmmm I'm still intrigued, wayback machine has nothing relevant from xboxhacker unfortunately and google isn't getting me very far. What do you mean by running the code off the backup of a jtagged console etc? Did you have to run the unsigned code on a premodified 360 and just "stream" it to the one with the dell drive in it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was no homebrew. It was just a user made DVD drive replacement, one that could also function much like a flashed drive and allow copied games.

I went back through the posts here and found the link http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.php?&topic=8335.0
However it does seem to be absent from my usual choices of internet archival.

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-46714.html has a tiny bit on it.
Here is a video series on it.

Hey that's still pretty badass :). I wonder how he figured all that out. Pretty sweet even though it doesn't run unsigned code!

UPDATE: I found a tutorial :) http://superpoires.free.fr/Xbox360/DROM6316_Tutorial.pdf

Last edited by TeamScriptKiddies, , Reason: tut found lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...