Half-Life: Alyx mod makes the game fully playable without VR

image_8.png

A community effort to get the VR exclusive Half-Life Alyx fully playable in 2D and without the need for a VR headset is making strides. The latest release of the mod by the NoVR team now allows you to play the entire campaign from beginning to end in 2D.

While this is great for accessibility and will allow more people to experience the game without expensive VR equipment, keep in mind that the game was made exclusively for VR and the 2D version may be akin to playing Wii Sports without a Wii remote. Valve’s Robin Walker anticipated this happening back during the release of Alyx and is quoted as saying “As a result, what I’m confident will happen is that when people get that butchered version, and they’ll have lost all the things that we’ll have got from moving to VR, they will then understand very clearly why we made that choice.”

The mod is also a work in progress and the team have warned that future updates on their social channels may include indirect spoilers.

Change log

• updated gravity gloves - use on objects with E
  • gloves can now grab any object from a distance including ammo and other pick ups
  • gravity gloves sound effect added
  • late game glove power added
  • wooden planks can now be broken off doorways and doors with E
  • the entire game is now playable from start to finish (no cheats or noclip needed for anything - bugs may still be present but a save reload will fix that - please post issues on out GitHub Issues board, some of these bugs are carried over from the original HLA release and can only be fixed by Valve)
  • movement speed has been adjusted so you move a bit slower when walking with proper footstep sounds
  • all cranks, doors, cabinets etc all now open by pressing E once or twice for some
  • subway doors open more naturally now
  • 33/42 steam achievements currently work (see section in the article on achievements for more details)
  • combine fabricators are now functional
  • various weapon upgrades can be selected for all 3 weapons (3 each)
  • resin counter added to HUD
  • stability fixes
  • additional support for other mods (see section in the article for more details)
  • and more!

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Official website

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's like ppl buy steam deck, when they should buy normal pc
Or buy switch game with reduced quality, when they can buy normal game
And VR not worth it right now. When controllers become gloves, then I would think about it.
I owned ps vr and oculus. It's stuck in moving head state, better play games on normal pc then. There no VR experience right now, only simulation.
Post automatically merged:

Why even play anything? Go live life!
Who want it - can play it now, they doesn't care what you all think.
IF you don't want it to exist, then don't notice it.
It's simple as this
Any game can be enjoyable, if someone enjoy it
Please use grammarly

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
Not surprised this mod has been made. Leave episode 2 on a cliffhanger, because you can't be arsed to finish the story, then 13 years later, finally make a new half life game and go "lol VR only", of course people who don't have VR (for price or just can't use it) will still want to play.

I might try it when it goes cheap. I would like to try in VR, but I don't have the room where my pc is (even in sitting mode, I'd end up whacking something).

Without going too off topic, are there any decent wireless solutions? I have room, just not where the pc is. Last I checked people said wireless streaming options (so pc playing it, and streaming over network to headset) were bad and had many issues.
Valve were able to establish a relationship with its consumer base which is akin to a religious cult. This was after steam became popular, they didn't need HL anymore. Apart from pushing new technologies, which is how capitalism works.

People, being generally idiots were very against epic store, which has given away AAA games consistently. Something steam and valve would never do. People still revere valve though. Horrid company.

Same as apple and nintendo.

Also, fanboys, don't even bother me with your bullshit. Its my opinion.

Haizum74

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Played it in VR and it was indeed a standout moment for my own personal gaming experience. However, folk asking the question 'Uhh it's gonna be shit if it's not in VR' are missing the point.
Skyrim was a 2d game originally and it was and is one of the best, but it also plays well in VR too but wasn't designed for it. Alyx can be just as fun to play in 2d for folk who don't want to purchase VR and also adds to the storyline, especially for those were old enough to remember Half Life being released way back in the last century. B-)

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
They did make it a fps

2d in the sense that it's just on a 2d screen with no depth

VR games have one screen for each eye so allow a truly 3d experience with depth perception

2d doesn't always mean like a super Nintendo game

why the gun isnt bobbing..its weird, its like its just hovering.

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you go to the gym there's a girl who will give you this game for free with vr patch installed. How do you know which girl ? She's fit

Last edited by HideoKojima,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.