Hacking Hacking DSi 2015?

atkfromabove

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol well in the interests in lowering the chance of a DSi not dying a horrible death, try and find someone that can do it for you if you can. hundshamer does nand mods for 3DS and might soon be able to do DSi's too as he posted in this thread expressing interest in doing it. He just doesn't have a test DSi to try one with. If you can't find anyone, perhaps offer yours up to him as the guinea pig. I would bet your odds of getting a working DSi back are better then if you tried it yourself. Especially if you never done nand mods before or have no soldering experience.

I could send you my dump!

Reactions: Apache Thunder

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
@Gadorach any chance you accidentally inserted the battery the wrong way while you had the back off the dsi, that's what happened to the DSi i have that's dead (so be careful nand modders its a stupid mistake, but easy to make if your just trying to test something real quick) iirc its the same error 0000FE00, i never did get around to figuring out what was wrong with it it was a junker to begin with anyway had been water damaged at some point and used to randomly cut out anyway....but just be careful with what way around you put the battery in (its not so obvious on the small dsi) if you are working on it with no back on

einstein95

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If anyone could export Pictochat to SD card from a DSi, then it could be converted to CIA easily.

Oh and for anyone in Aus/NZ, Guitar Rock Tour isn't available, despite it being an EU/Aus region game.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
If anyone could export Pictochat to SD card from a DSi, then it could be converted to CIA easily.

Oh and for anyone in Aus/NZ, Guitar Rock Tour isn't available, despite it being an EU/Aus region game.
Same for US region. Both 3ds and DSi eshop.
Hopefully someone has it.

Pictochat is a system title so it has to be dumped from the filesystem.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pictochat is a system title so it has to be dumped from the filesystem.
cc2ac65435.png

Everything on the filesystem is conveniently already decrypted and ready for ripping once tools are done, fwiw.

EDIT: Works on 3DS too apparently!

Last edited by WulfyStylez,

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
TWL SRLs are encrypted to a degree. Modcrypt and arm9/7 sections being encrypted. But that's how the SRLs are supposed to be and there is no further layer of encryption for the files on the NAND beyond the overall encryption of the NAND partition they are on. Once you have them extracted from decrypted NAND, they can easily be converted to CIA using makerom's srl command. Some apps like system settings will not work because of missing data on TWLN that only real DSi's have.

I could send you my dump!

If you want to do that that sure! Thanks! :D

Reactions: WhoAmI?

einstein95

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Same for US region. Both 3ds and DSi eshop.
Hopefully someone has it.
Well, the US version is already dumped, it's just the EU version that needs to be dumped.

Also re: Pictochat: Interesting to see it have 0x1D set to 01 like the system settings. Wonder what that means...

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Gadorach any chance you accidentally inserted the battery the wrong way while you had the back off the dsi, that's what happened to the DSi i have that's dead (so be careful nand modders its a stupid mistake, but easy to make if your just trying to test something real quick) iirc its the same error 0000FE00, i never did get around to figuring out what was wrong with it it was a junker to begin with anyway had been water damaged at some point and used to randomly cut out anyway....but just be careful with what way around you put the battery in (its not so obvious on the small dsi) if you are working on it with no back on

Nah, though the battery did slip once and blow the fuse, it wasn't that. I double checked everything after I lifted the resistor array, and one of the sets were bad. The error I was getting was 0000FEFE by the way, 0000FE00 is just a "can't access the NAND chip" error, where as 0000FEFE is capable of being either "Boot2 on NAND is corrupt" or "NVRAM failed authentication check". In my case, I'm pretty sure it was just one of the DAT lines having the wrong resistance, so the CPU was trying to read the NAND, and was getting the wrong values back from that DAT line, so it read the boot2 as corrupt. Anyway, I ordered in a bunch of 0603 SMD resistors, so I'll see about getting it going again later.

In the mean time, whoever mentioned that the secret question on DSiBrew was a fake, was totally right. Worked right away when I left it empty. Bastards, ha ha.
Also, I picked up a DSi and DSiXL for $80.00CAD ($40.00 each) for testing stuff right now, so I don't care that much if this one doesn't come back. If it does though, I'll be sure to document what I did to fix it on DSiBrew. I also grabbed The Biggest Loser for $8.00CAD off Ebay, so I'm good for anything now, ha ha

Reactions: loco365

atkfromabove

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TWL SRLs are encrypted to a degree. Modcrypt and arm9/7 sections being encrypted. But that's how the SRLs are supposed to be and there is no further layer of encryption for the files on the NAND beyond the overall encryption of the NAND partition they are on. Once you have them extracted from decrypted NAND, they can easily be converted to CIA using makerom's srl command. Some apps like system settings will not work because of missing data on TWLN that only real DSi's have.

If you want to do that that sure! Thanks! :D

I sent you a PM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout