Hacking [GUIDE] - Which flash cartridge should I buy?

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So how do you get/enter the GW menu?

Thanks.

You get the latest GW firmware, find the launcher.dat and place it on the root of your SD card of your O3DS. Then you launch the browser with the WiFi on and type in go.gateway-3ds.com
The screen should glitch nad you should be presented with the latest GW Ultra menu. From there you can dump your game, NAND, game save, downgrade...

Reactions: tekwarfare

renqiang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I can't seem to get a solid answer anywhere so thought this may be just the place for it. I have a 9.2 2ds, am looking at getting a Gateway 3ds cart because of the region free and cheaper price. My question is does it actually work? Is using a .CIA file the answer? If I use a cia does the region matter? Also how much memory should I be looking at getting for the 2ds SD card and the gateway micro sd? Obvious noob here, just confused and looking for some help :)
Edit: If I have the game installed to the SD card do I still need to use gateway mode or can I boot then as I would a normal game?
Edit2: I will probably have a max of two games on at any one time.

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
You get the latest GW firmware, find the launcher.dat and place it on the root of your SD card of your O3DS. Then you launch the browser with the WiFi on and type in go.gateway-3ds.com
The screen should glitch nad you should be presented with the latest GW Ultra menu. From there you can dump your game, NAND, game save, downgrade...

After turning the console off and back on after dumping the cart I'm back to normal; I'm not running in GW mode anymore?

Thank you for your very much for your help.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
After turning the console off and back on after dumping the cart I'm back to normal; I'm not running in GW mode anymore?

Thank you for your very much for your help.

Thats right, the game is dumped on your SD card.

Hi, I can't seem to get a solid answer anywhere so thought this may be just the place for it. I have a 9.2 2ds, am looking at getting a Gateway 3ds cart because of the region free and cheaper price. My question is does it actually work? Is using a .CIA file the answer? If I use a cia does the region matter? Also how much memory should I be looking at getting for the 2ds SD card and the gateway micro sd? Obvious noob here, just confused and looking for some help :)
Edit: If I have the game installed to the SD card do I still need to use gateway mode or can I boot then as I would a normal game?

Hello, .cia games are not region locked. My advice would be for you to get a 32-64gb card. When you install a .cia game it gets installed on your emuNAND which is located on your SD card. To enter emunand youll need the red GW card inserted. All the games are shown as eshop games which is a nice touch. If you use .cia files you have a very small chance of getting banned from online services and you can also transfer your saves from one console to another via savedatafiler which is super easy to do.
Another advantage of using .cia files is that you can take out the red GW card and you can esily insert it into another console which gives you the possibility to install and play .cia file on two or more 3DS consoles!

Reactions: renqiang

renqiang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh my all the benefits haha. Thank you very much for the reply, so just say if I was to only have 2 games on at any one time (When I have too many I end up not finishing them) could I get a smaller sd card? Also just to be clear I presume it's the sd card that goes into the 2ds that would want to be the large one?

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh my all the benefits haha. Thank you very much for the reply, so just say if I was to only have 2 games on at any one time (When I have too many I end up not finishing them) could I get a smaller sd card? Also just to be clear I presume it's the sd card that goes into the 2ds that would want to be the large one?

Thats right its bthe larger SD card that goes into the console itself. The only downsides of .cia use is that you have to have a SD card which is double the size of the .cia file. So lets say you want to install a game which is 1 gb large - you will need a 2GB SD card. Thats one GB to store the .cia file and another to install the game. After ou install the game you can easily remove the .cia file from your SD card.

renqiang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
oh so you just need double the space for the initial installation and can delete the install file afterwards and keep the game on the SD? Sorry, I realise I must be bombarding you with questions :P It's just that you have been so helpful so far haha

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
oh so you just need double the space for the initial installation and can delete the install file afterwards and keep the game on the SD? Sorry, I realise I must be bombarding you with questions :P It's just that you have been so helpful so far haha

Thats right! Omega Ruby is like 2 gb large so youll need a 4-8 gb SD card. After the installation is done you can safely delete the .cia file :)

renqiang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Righty o then, thank you for being so informative! Long time lurker here second time poster, great to know that the community can be so helpful! Looks like I'll be picking up a gateway 3ds then :) Have spotted one on yeahgeek for 57 euros which seems to be the cheapest I've managed to find so far, I think the site is reputable. If there are cheaper prices or if anyone in Ireland is selling one then you can feel free to PM or reply here I guess?

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Righty o then, thank you for being so informative! Long time lurker here second time poster, great to know that the community can be so helpful! Looks like I'll be picking up a gateway 3ds then :) Have spotted one on yeahgeek for 57 euros which seems to be the cheapest I've managed to find so far, I think the site is reputable. If there are cheaper prices or if anyone in Ireland is selling one then you can feel free to PM or reply here I guess?

Yup, yeahgeek.com is pretty great. Ive ordered mine from them and I received it in like 2 weeks or so. Glad i could help. ;)

After you've installed the .CIA file, do you need to carry out the browser exploit each time to launch the game with the gateway?

Well If you have a 2DS the sadly yes, but if you have a 3DS the you could downgrade to 4.x and use the offline Profile exploit.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone think it would be bias to list the benefit of being able to use a Gateway one 2 or more consoles in the same house (cia emunand method). In my opinion it's a big cost saver for multi-3DS households and something Sky cannot offer.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Anyone think it would be bias to list the benefit of being able to use a Gateway one 2 or more consoles in the same house (cia emunand method). In my opinion it's a big cost saver for multi-3DS households and something Sky cannot offer.
nope, its a legitimate benefit that is greatly under appreciated, for example a family with say 3/4 kids, maybe one of the parents wants to play too, for a gateway card to pass around them you looking at around $60, (maybe $120 if you want to have less passing it around)....for that same family buying sky3ds cards you would be looking at like $300+ for cards

this is all just based on everyone wanting to play at the same time sometimes, which for a family with children would actually be fairly common, plus even sharing a sky3ds card if they all play at different times would be tricky unless each person has their own microSD so they dont mess up saves or hit the 31 game limit too fast

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
nope, its a legitimate benefit that is greatly under appreciated, for example a family with say 3/4 kids, maybe one of the parents wants to play too, for a gateway card to pass around them you looking at around $60, (maybe $120 if you want to have less passing it around)....for that same family buying sky3ds cards you would be looking at like $300+ for cards

this is all just based on everyone wanting to play at the same time sometimes, which for a family with children would actually be fairly common, plus even sharing a sky3ds card if they all play at different times would be tricky unless each person has their own microSD so they dont mess up saves or hit the 31 game limit too fast

Alright, I've edited that information in. I think it might be helpful to someone.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seeing as how it happens again - good overview thread for beginners getting buried to page 2 and beyound - I also think this should be made sticky.

apoptygma, you might want to add some information about the CFW method, just so users have the full picture of what options they have. Maybe you also want t oadd some links to other useful threads (such as mine ;)) and add some pros / cons for each flashcard.

renqiang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Could we please get this stickied? Also could you perhaps edit in a tutorial for possible Gateway homebrew options? Cia process, getting gbc games working etc. Really impressed so far. Played a huge factor in my deciding what to buy, just purchased my gateway 3ds from eachmall. Hope all will go well :)

smasbros

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe the knowledge in apoptygma's idea was not enough for gbatemp sticky it. :lol: But it's enough for me, just personal idea only.

iViperz

Trophies
XP
Country
This thread is much appreciated. I'll be referring friends who doubt different cards and can't get both here!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o