Hacking [GUIDE] Upgrading 8.1.0-0J to 9.2.0-20J

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you still need the etickets or are you fine with manually getting the cetk, stripping out the cert, and base64 encoding them?

Er.. I just sent a GetCommonETicket request to the real NUS and it provided me the certs already encoded. Did I do something incorrect? This is the resulting file that allowed me to download 9.2U: http://pastebin.com/cVswFk4m

Thanks for all your work, the SecureInfo installer made it so easy!

Edit3: The culprits are Mii Maker, Streetpass Mii Plaza, and AR Games. Installing any of these US titles to the region-changed N3DS causes it to crash when coming out of sleep mode on the home menu, and when suspending an application. What the heck.

Do you know a way to remove these titles having been already installed? I'm seeing the same issue in emunand now. I might just have to restore my 9.2J and redo it without them.

Are you saying that http://us92.jp81to92update.tk now hosts the US responses and I could patch the nim of my jp 9.2 n3ds to there and VOILA! they would be NA now? Because that would be really great (and would save a lot of time).

Also, considering we have to transfer the secureinfo, do you or does anyone else know what would happen if I gave a secureinfo from one ds to two n3ds? (My main concern being that while I'm not planning on using the old 3ds anymore, the new ones are both going to see some use and I'm worried of possible ban/internet complications).

Installing the US files by itself doesn't change region, you have to install the other region's SecureInfo_A file as well. Doing that changes your console's serial to the serial of whatever console the file you use came from, so you'd be going online twice with the same console. I assume multiplayer between them might not work at the least.

So wait a minute, are people changing their Japan consoles into US ones now or is this something else? My end goal is to play the US Majora's Mask that I bought on my (now) 9.2J. Although I'm not sure if my cartridge requires a 9.4 update on top of not being able to load a language file or something

That is my goal as well. (And to play my Bravely Default in english sometimes, the kanji are hard to read).

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know a way to remove these titles having been already installed? I'm seeing the same issue in emunand now. I might just have to restore my 9.2J and redo it without them.

Not as far as I know, hence why it took me so long to narrow down which titles were responsible—I had to keep restoring from a backup. I suppose you could try deleting those titles from the NAND—I never did—but I somehow suspect that won't work.

I'm very disappointed to hear that installing titles via this method as opposed to DevMenu didn't fix the problem. I really thought that it would. I wonder how Yifan_lu got it working...

(For anyone reading this and getting confused, we're cross referencing threads now—Oishkatta referenced a post in here.)

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not as far as I know, hence why it took me so long to narrow down which titles were responsible—I had to keep restoring from a backup. I suppose you could try deleting those titles from the NAND—I never did—but I somehow suspect that won't work.

I'm Very disappointed to hear that installing titles via this method as opposed to DevMenu didn't fix the problem. I really thought that it would. I wonder how Yifan_lu got it working...

(For anyone reading this and getting confused, we're cross referencing threads now—Oishkatta referenced a post in here.)

I experience no freeze after removing these titles with big red menu and installing the EU version.

Klark

Trophies
XP
Country
Just wanted to say thanks for this to all involved. I'm a complete noob but can follow instructions and managed to update my Japanese N3DS from 8.1 to 9.2 successfully last night using Oishikatta's server (Thank you!).

Feeling like a boss now so what's all this about region switching :) (j/k)

Thanks again!

Reactions: cearp

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I'm trying to use the this alongside (the american version of) Oishikatta's server. As per the instructions, I typed

connect("[my 3DS's IP]", 8000)
write(0x15E424, tuple(map(ord, "http://us92.jp81to92update.tk/\0")), pid=0x25)
write(0x15E0EC, tuple(map(ord, "http://us92.jp81to92update.tk/\0")), pid=0x25)
write(0x15E463, tuple(map(ord, "http://us92.jp81to92update.tk/\0")), pid=0x25)

Every command seemed to go through fine, so I booted up system settings and began a system update. After the update had already been started, I noticed that the debugger had printed a message saying it had lost connecting with my 3DS—I'm not sure when this happened exactly, but it was after I'd run the above commands. I figured this was probably normal ("It's probably because I entered system settings, or something.") and didn't worry about it.

When the updated completed, my 3DS was running firmware 9.6 E.

No harm done since I have a NAND mod, but any idea what happened? Is it normal for the debugger to disconnect like that?

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi! I'm trying to use the this alongside (the american version of) Oishikatta's server. As per the instructions, I typed

Every command seemed to go through fine, so I booted up system settings and began a system update. After the update had already been started, I noticed that the debugger had printed a message saying it had lost connecting with my 3DS—I'm not sure when this happened exactly, but it was after I'd run the above commands. I figured this was probably normal ("It's probably because I entered system settings, or something.") and didn't worry about it.

No harm done since I have a NAND mod, but any idea what happened? Is it normal for the debugger to disconnect like that?

the offset you used are for 8.1J only.

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh oops, that makes sense. Does anyone know the correct offsets for 9.0 EU? A quick search of this thread showed me the US ones, but not Europe.

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh oops, that makes sense. Does anyone know the correct offsets for 9.0 EU? A quick search of this thread showed me the US ones, but not Europe.
It's not hard to find those, just dump the process memory and look for it
I would help you but I do not have a 3ds on 9.0.0e

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a U version regular New3DS being my ultimate goal, I see two options at this point in time...

1. Having updated my regular New3DS to 9.2.0-20J successfully, I am emboldened to region swap to U (with a donor SecureInfo_A from a U version New 3DS XL, however I have linked a throw-away NNID to this system for testing/messing around, so I would hope formatting this console while connected to the internet should make its SecureInfo_A file "clean" for network connection/system transfer) and then update sysNAND to 9.6 for legit system transfer so it can be my daily driver. Obviously this is risky and a hardMod would probably be advised in case anything goes wrong now/in the future...but it can be done now, today!

2. Region swap the emuNAND only of my 9.2.0-20J regular New3DS and wait for some future solution to do a manual system transfer from my current, daily driver O3DS. Solutions like Karl3DS/etc. look promising but have no ETA and little has been said so far about "manual system transfers" in the light of no 9.6 for n3DS for the foreseeable future. This sounds like a long wait and may never be a completely viable option for having all my existing content on a U version regular New3DS that is cable of easily downloading updates (unless NCCH encryption is broken at some point).

Both options raise other questions/consequences. Will some point/setting we miss in the region swapping process now screw me over in the future on my then un-hackable, un-supportable regular 9.6U New3DS? I believe a hardMod method exists for the regular New3DS (I know pinouts are publicly confirmed for New3DS XL)? Will there ever be a viable "manual system transfer" method? I know my first solution would lock me out of hacking/region-free on my regular New3DS, but I only have one non-U version game at this point and I am getting impatient. I really want to use the console I paid good money for as my daily driver 3DS now, and a solution exists...

What option does everyone else think is best? (Sorry for length, just wanted to make sure I got all the specifics out there...)

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does that mean option one is impossible for eshop/legit system transfer? Having a clean donor console from the target region doesn't matter?

You have a gateway, right?

I think it makes most sense to use that and keep emunand below 9.6. That way you'll be able to install updates manually (though they won't work in classic mode...)

Also with NTR/KARL it may be possible in the future to enable eshop and system transfers in lower firmwares.

Link'sSpiritualAwakening

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just to let you know, I updated my 8.1j using this method (Oishikattas server) and the debugger did disconnect shortly after the update started. Update to 9.2 went fine though

verdin551

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi, I would like to use this method to update my 3ds so i can use the Animal Crossing Map editor! The problem is my 3ds is at 7.2.0-12U. Is there any way to update it to 8.1 and then do this?

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hello, so i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to 3ds "hacking" but i want to update my 7.2.0-8E old 3ds to 9.2 E. i skimmed the thread (dont honestly understand most of it ) but it seems nobody's mentioned european yet, does anyone have a link/guide/any idea to how to do it for european firmware?
edit: upon further reading looks like its not useable on 7.2 that's a damn shame. here's to hoping that'l change in future

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I would like to use this method to update my 3ds so i can use the Animal Crossing Map editor! The problem is my 3ds is at 7.2.0-12U. Is there any way to update it to 8.1 and then do this?

NTR 2.x supports the New 3DS only

hello, so i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to 3ds "hacking" but i want to update my 7.2.0-8E old 3ds to 9.2 E. i skimmed the thread (dont honestly understand most of it ) but it seems nobody's mentioned european yet, does anyone have a link/guide/any idea to how to do it for european firmware?
edit: upon further reading looks like its not useable on 7.2 that's a damn shame. here's to hoping that'l change in future

When another method to patch the ram of the nim process exists, it would be possible.

For anyone interesting in using their own server and updating to any version (for example, EUR), I've added a function to automatically generate the ETickets to my .php file.

https://github.com/Oishikatta/NUS

It can be used with raw soap replies from http://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/reports.php - you just have to edit the titlehash in titlehash.xml to match the file you use for titleversion.xml.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!