Group boycotts 3DS because it fuels human right abuses.

• Thread starter croagunk.master
  • Start date
  • Views 13,391
  • Replies 171
Status
Not open for further replies.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Uncle FEFL said:
TwinRetro said:
So you suppose I should get rid of my computer, my cell phone, my TV, and any electronics in my house and refrain from buying new ones and live like a cave man until this conflict stops?

Or maybe you would like to buy me a ticket to the Congo so that I may kindly ask these mean men to stop treating human life with such disrespect?

Or maybe I should write a stern letter to them and tell them to knock it off...

Cut the shit. It's not the fault of the consumer for buying these electronics, so don't pull the guilt trip on this one.

Both the businessmen and the consumers are at fault.

We can treat this issue the same way as we treat environmental policies, except, you know, we'd be saving lives.

The fact of the matter is, you can't expect the average consumer to know or not know what electronics use conflict materials, or even know what conflict materials are.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
_Chaz_ said:
Wow, I can't wait for the 3DS to outsell the NGP and laugh at these people.

I'm willing to bet that more than 100 people in that group use an iPhone, and we've seen the conditions those people work in. Not to mention all of the other products that are manufactured in even worse conditions. These people only hate it because it's popular.
Seriously, see? Is that kind of post who pisses me off.

WHO FUCK'N KNOWS if they are really just sony fanboys trying to troll? Where's the mention of NGP on this?

I can't understand...

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Uncle FEFL said:
TwinRetro said:
So you suppose I should get rid of my computer, my cell phone, my TV, and any electronics in my house and refrain from buying new ones and live like a cave man until this conflict stops?

Or maybe you would like to buy me a ticket to the Congo so that I may kindly ask these mean men to stop treating human life with such disrespect?

Cut the shit. It's not the fault of the consumer for buying these electronics, so don't pull the guilt trip on this one.

We can treat this issue the same way as we treat environmental policies, except, you know, we'd be saving lives.

The fact of the matter is, you can't expect the average consumer to know or not know what electronics use conflict materials, or even know what conflict materials are.

I don't know why "average" always has to be seen as stupid or uninformed. What if we were to *gasp* educate the uninformed? What would happen then? Would the world implode? No, we'd just have a smarter/more informed population.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Uncle FEFL said:
TwinRetro said:
Uncle FEFL said:
TwinRetro said:

I don't know why "average" always has to be seen as stupid or uninformed. What if we were to *gasp* educate the uninformed? What would happen then? Would the world implode? No, we'd just have a smarter/more informed population.

Cool, then people know about conflict materials. Congrats...now can you help me pass along the message of what companies use conflict materials, and what products they are used in? Oh, you have no clue? Well that's gonna put a damper on your plans there, sir!

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Cool, then people know about conflict materials. Congrats...now can you help me pass along the message of what companies use conflict materials, and what products they are used in? Oh, you have no clue? Well that's gonna put a damper on your plans there, sir!
Social protest brings new legislation.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Uncle FEFL said:
TwinRetro said:

Don't know about you, but I have better things to do than sit outside a corporate office waving a poorly written sign, and chanting whatever catchy slogan you decided to come up with that day. Someone needs to raise my son.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Uncle FEFL said:
TwinRetro said:

Don't know about you, but I have better things to do than sit outside a corporate office waving a poorly written sign, and chanting whatever catchy slogan you decided to come up with that day. Someone needs to raise my son.

Yeah, because saving people from horrible deaths is SO not worth it, amirite?

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Uncle FEFL said:
TwinRetro said:
Uncle FEFL said:
TwinRetro said:

Yeah, because saving people from horrible deaths is SO not worth it, amirite?

Hmmm...Leaving my 8 month old son at home to fend for himself in order to MAYBE pass a message to those responsible....yeah, so worth it.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Uncle FEFL said:
TwinRetro said:
Hmmm...Leaving my 8 month old son at home to fend for himself in order to MAYBE pass a message to those responsible....yeah, so worth it.

Are you raising the baby alone, or what? And the protest wouldn't physically require you to be there anyway.

No, My wife works and I take care of the kid. That's what you don't seem to realize. In your little world you expect everyone to stop what they are doing and protest against something that's happening halfway across the globe. People have jobs, and people have children. People have lives to live, and I'm sorry to say, but my family (to me) is and always will be more important than one in the Congo, or anywhere else for that matter.

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
so retarded news. if they though about people being exploited then they shouldnt buy clothes or food or any electronics, because these are made with cheap labor and all that. im still getting a 3ds after reading this

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Uncle FEFL said:
TwinRetro said:

Are you raising the baby alone, or what? And the protest wouldn't physically require you to be there anyway.

No, My wife works and I take care of the kid. That's what you don't seem to realize. In your little world you expect everyone to stop what they are doing and protest against something that's happening halfway across the globe. People have jobs, and people have children. People have lives to live, and I'm sorry to say, but my family is and always will be more important than one in the Congo, or anywhere else for that matter.
I understand that, of course.

But, you act as if reform is impossible for those with new families (and by the way, congratulations.
smile.gif
) It's happened before, and in much harder times that what we've got now. Maybe you personally wouldn't be a part of such a thing, but there are millions of others who can be.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Don't get me wrong. I'm not completely heartless. I don't like what's going on, and i'm not sure anyone does, but asking people not to buy electronics is a bit of a stretch. You have to admit that.

That being said, If I can find time to take part in peaceful protest without harm to my family life, I would be all for it, but I don't know anyone in my area that is handling protests for this issue, and I do not have the resources, time, or know how to get it done myself.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Exposure of the actual conflict would be much more attention getting and productive than boycotting the end product here. This product is going to sell millions regardless, so some photos and video of terrible violence over the materials for the product would be more likely to generate coverage by mainstream media, and might get Nintendo to change things up. Then again, they've been rated poorly by Greenpeace for many years in a row, so sadly I really don't think Nintendo cares. Then again again, it's not their job to care - it's their job to make money.

The intentions of this boycott are good, but the implementation is poor. However, it's not a bad start.

I'm disappointed at how heartless and / or immature some of the responses are to this, though. Not that it matters - carry on, people.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Don't get me wrong. I'm not completely heartless. I don't like what's going on, and i'm not sure anyone does, but asking people not to buy electronics is a bit of a stretch. You have to admit that.

That being said, If I can find time to take part in peaceful protest without harm to my family life, I would be all for it, but I don't know anyone in my area that is handling protests for this issue, and I do not have the resources, time, or know how to get it done myself.OK, I understand.

KingVamp said:
Uncle FEFL said:
QUOTE(DiscostewSM @ Feb 27 2011, 09:59 PM) Let's dry up droplets of water while a whole pond continues to threaten life.
Gotta start small. Drying a pond is expensive.
While the pond become a ocean/sea?
My original comment was "we should dry the whole damn ocean," but that was a little too douchey, even for me.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone in Japan care about "conflict materials"?

Does any gamer in the Western world care about "conflict materials"?

Just about every gamer is just grateful they are getting a 3DS.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
Does anyone in Japan care about "conflict materials"?

Does any gamer in the Western world care about "conflict materials"?

Just about every gamer is just grateful they are getting a 3DS.
So your supporting injustice? About every homebrew and gamer guy cares what people make their products, so wouldn't it be a good idea to buy products that were made fairly than the injustice way?

I would say supporting this injustice would get you flamed, if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P