Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City and San Andreas rumoured to be getting remastered

header.jpg

There have been rumblings that Rockstar may be planning to remaster the three Grand Theft Auto games from the PlayStation 2 era for a while now. They first started last month when Take-Two suddenly started issuing takedown notices for classic GTA mods, and continued when, in a Q1 2022 earnings call that they have three unannounced "new iterations of previously released titles" in the pipeline. A new report from Kotaku, who cannot name their source but insists they have reliably delivered news about GTA Online and Red Dead Online "weeks if not months in advance," gives more solid details on the remasters. No specific mention was given to gameplay, but they will apparently strive to replicate the PS2 experience as closely as possible. On the visual front, the games are being remastered in the Unreal Engine and will be a mix of "new and old graphics." The UI has been updated but will retain the same style, and one source who's seen the games says they look like a heavily-modded version of the PS2 games.

The release plans have changed quite a bit for these remasters, according to Kotaku's source. Originally they were meant to be included as a bonus for those who purchased the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S version of Grand Theft Auto V, but then they were pushed ahead to a release earlier this year, before that plan changed too. Right now, they're planned to be released in either late October or early November on the previous- and current-gen PlayStation and Xbox consoles, the Nintendo Switch, PC, Stadia, and mobile. The plan is to sell them all as one package, and they will possibly only be sold digitially. The studio is reportedly also considering a remaster of Red Dead Redemption, but will base their decision to remaster that game on the reception to the GTA remasters.

:arrow: Source

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure Rockstar saw all those recent GTA 3/VC and such homebrew ports and got all mad they weren't getting paid for it, only reason this thing will exist ;O;

Not that I'm complaining TBH, 3 and VC are the two best GTA's IMO so I'll welcome modern remasters (assuming they don't fuck it all up).

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
will be a mix of "new and old graphics
If SA will be like those" What GTASA will look with GTA V engine" type of videos on YT, then i approve of it, given they do not do a half-ass job like what they did for digital releases on PS3/X360, those were glitchy and buggy as hell. Also, they should fix the bloody camera and aiming in both GTA 3 & VC, along with integrating map markers and possibly an on-the-fly save function.

Reactions: WiiU_user
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's just going to be the mobile ports. They did it for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, and they'll do it again.

I just hope that Bully gets remastered as well. We never got to see the Scholarship Edition on devices other than PC, Xbox360, as well as Mobile (Anniversary Edition).

Last edited by Deleted member 534570,

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
If this turns out to be true and that they mean it when they say they will remaster RDR based on the reception of these, then it will definitely happen lol.

It's odd how many companies still haven't realized how they can make a good amount of money from such a thing without much effort, not that I condone such a thing, but the good ones are welcome.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm sure Rockstar saw all those recent GTA 3/VC and such homebrew ports and got all mad they weren't getting paid for it, only reason this thing will exist ;O;

Not that I'm complaining TBH, 3 and VC are the two best GTA's IMO so I'll welcome modern remasters (assuming they don't fuck it all up).
This, they gotta capitalize somehow on what the community is doing

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RDR is a perfect game in my eyes, and doesn't need any improvement either visually or mechanics/gameplay-wise, since it is the most recent one of the bunch. Maybe an fps increase like a constant 60 would be really appreciated, but honestly i highly doubt it.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
RDR is a perfect game in my eyes, and doesn't need any improvement either visually or mechanics/gameplay-wise, since it is the most recent one of the bunch. Maybe an fps increase like a constant 60 would be really appreciated, but honestly i highly doubt it.

Why not when RDR2 looks better? Something closer would be nice, and yeah a 60 or above framerate would be great. Though really the most important point is the fact that nobody can play this game officially without either owning the PS3/60 or a game streaming service.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not when RDR2 looks better? Something closer would be nice, and yeah a 60 or above framerate would be great. Though really the most important point is the fact that nobody can play this game officially without either owning the PS3/60 or a game streaming service.
It's not about if "it'll look better, why not? ", but i personally doubt that they would do the game justice, they'll just ruin the original look and the end product would be a botched mess, since doing that task require time/effort/care, which i don't think they'll put on it TBH.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
It's not about if "it'll look better, why not? ", but i personally doubt that they would do the game justice, they'll just ruin the original look and the end product would be a botched mess, since doing that task require time/effort/care, which i don't think they'll put on it TBH.

That's true, though just changing the lighting system and adding (or upgrading) other effects like ambient occlusion, ray tracing, high resolution textures, etc can go a long way and won't require much effort. I'm not fully sure whether it could work, but they also could use the new engine they used for RDR2 and make the necessary adjustments to preserve the original feel, but I don't know if that's technically doable. Basically there are many options to make it look really good with smart techniques, though yeah can't really say if they may put the effort in but it seems they do at least for their big game releases.

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    ... [looks up vagina] 🤓 🔎 📖 ] :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: 🤢
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ... [looks up vagina] 🤓 🔎 📖 ] :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: 🤢