Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City and San Andreas rumoured to be getting remastered

header.jpg

There have been rumblings that Rockstar may be planning to remaster the three Grand Theft Auto games from the PlayStation 2 era for a while now. They first started last month when Take-Two suddenly started issuing takedown notices for classic GTA mods, and continued when, in a Q1 2022 earnings call that they have three unannounced "new iterations of previously released titles" in the pipeline. A new report from Kotaku, who cannot name their source but insists they have reliably delivered news about GTA Online and Red Dead Online "weeks if not months in advance," gives more solid details on the remasters. No specific mention was given to gameplay, but they will apparently strive to replicate the PS2 experience as closely as possible. On the visual front, the games are being remastered in the Unreal Engine and will be a mix of "new and old graphics." The UI has been updated but will retain the same style, and one source who's seen the games says they look like a heavily-modded version of the PS2 games.

The release plans have changed quite a bit for these remasters, according to Kotaku's source. Originally they were meant to be included as a bonus for those who purchased the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S version of Grand Theft Auto V, but then they were pushed ahead to a release earlier this year, before that plan changed too. Right now, they're planned to be released in either late October or early November on the previous- and current-gen PlayStation and Xbox consoles, the Nintendo Switch, PC, Stadia, and mobile. The plan is to sell them all as one package, and they will possibly only be sold digitially. The studio is reportedly also considering a remaster of Red Dead Redemption, but will base their decision to remaster that game on the reception to the GTA remasters.

:arrow: Source

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remaster, not remake. It'll be upgraded graphics, some filters, same look.
"In the visual front, the games are being remastered in the Unreal Engine and will be a mix of "new and old graphics."
I know it's pretty far fetched, but since they've mentioned UE, it's a possibility.. And i know the difference between a remaster and a remake.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have doubts it'll be gtaV style engines that would probably take years if they're planning on porting all 3 titles. It'll probably just be 4k texture packs rereleased or 1080 if we get lucky.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's true, though just changing the lighting system and adding (or upgrading) other effects like ambient occlusion, ray tracing, high resolution textures, etc can go a long way and won't require much effort. I'm not fully sure whether it could work, but they also could use the new engine they used for RDR2 and make the necessary adjustments to preserve the original feel, but I don't know if that's technically doable. Basically there are many options to make it look really good with smart techniques, though yeah can't really say if they may put the effort in but it seems they do at least for their big game releases.
Right! but based on how they handled the previous releases of GTA SA on 360/PS3.. let's just hope this time will be different.
What they did with L. A. Noire was good, since they had already high-res textures it was easy for them to work with it.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Wouldn't hold my breath about these remasters. Just look how butchered the remastered version of San Andreas was on Xbox and PlayStation. They did not give a fuck.

Reactions: CoolMe

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm interested but not holding my breath, unless these ports fix all the bugs that were in the subsequent ports of these games then i'm not buying.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you say remastered, you mean porting the same game with no improvements.

unless they actually make improvements then i dont see the point when the game hanst aged will to be ported again, rather save money and buy the original if i ever were to play it, which i dont.

jesus96

Pinkboi
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I personally don't believe this but since take two tried to take down the decompilation project and these included switch ports maybe there's a little chance

Dunno but i would love to see GTA SA on the switch

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If SA will be like those" What GTASA will look with GTA V engine" type of videos on YT, then i approve of it, given they do not do a half-ass job like what they did for digital releases on PS3/X360, those were glitchy and buggy as hell. Also, they should fix the bloody camera and aiming in both GTA 3 & VC, along with integrating map markers and possibly an on-the-fly save function.
they are REMASTERS not remakes, they wont remake the games on gtav engine, they are just pushing afew polygons and textures here and there, bumping up framerate and resolution and be done with it for sure, so yeah it wont be that different than playing a gta game on xbox series x backwards compatibility mode imo.

what you want is a remake what they say they are doing is a remaster, so yeah you are not gonna like it, no one remakes 3 games at the same time, you can easily remaster a trilogy but to remake 3 games it would take alot of time and money. and this like rumors say will be a trilogy release.they will probably just port the source code into unreal engine and modify afew hud things and main characters models and textures.

Last edited by pedro702,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Made in China is back to what it was in the 80s lol +2