Hardware GPU Cooling

Durelle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im a very adept computer builder been doing it for years now, but theres alwais something i avoided which was Liquid Cooling, or even GPU modifications for 3rd party cooling.

my Gigabit 280x (windforce edition) is sooooo loud, so im looking into other options since destiny 2 is comming out soon. Is it hard to get a rad for it, or should i just get another fan.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
EKWB sells kits to install on GPUs
there is also AIO like the corsair series which you can install...
i don't believe you can do pretty much... i am not aware that aftermarket GPU cooling solutions exist except for the liquid cooling options

PS: for that price of thoose kits, maybe it's time to upgrade?

Last edited by migles,

Durelle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's what I'm trying to avoid. I found a kit for 150$ but I'm wondering if it's worth it. My gpu was always loud but a upgrade would be 600$+. And the 280x runs fine on games I play. Those options you mentioned do you have links to where they sell them or information about the product. Things are usually a little more expensive here in Canada

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For third party cooling for a 280X, you basically have the choice of:

Artic cooling.
https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/products/cooling/vga.html.
Do both liquid cooling and air cooling. Neither options are very cheap.

NZXT G12 adapter
https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g12-black + one of the Kraken AIO. Again, not a cheap option.

EKWB stuff is for proper custom loops, so that's out. Corsair do conversion kits for their AIO coolers, but you need the blower fan from a reference design card and don't think Corsair make a kit for the 280X anyway, so they are out as well.

All options are generally based on reference pcb design, so if Gigabyte has done any weird shit with a custom pcb, you might be out of luck.

Other than changing, you could try a custom fan curve. Reviews say the 280x windforce has an aggressive fan curve, you can notch it down a bit without much of a hit to temps. Could also replace the fans, like most customs cards the windforce has a rather nice heatsink under the shroud, 2 decent 120mm fans zipped tied to the heatsink would probably do a better job and be quieter. Just need to buy/make the relevent adapter to hook the fans into the cards pcb. Doesn't look pretty, but it's actually a pretty common solution and tends to work well/better than stock. I've done it myself when the fan on my old 5850 died.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat