PS1/2 Got a used PS2 with HDD and modchip. Can I transfer games to it without purchasing anything else?

lelele5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Hello all,

It appears the HDD is outside, it's not connected to USB port, it uses that PS2 HDD expansion bay.

I don't know what's installed in the device, it simply boots up to a game list, but I saw this Matrix logo (mine is a bit grayer, though) while booting:

BF9.jpg

According to Google that's a Matrix modchip? So my question is can I transfer games to it right away? I do have an ethernet cable if it's gonna help, I'm 100% okay with using FTP to transfer files, if it's possible.

Last edited by lelele5,

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That’s perfect. I have a simple setup, but with a different chip. I use hdloader (many use olploader). You may need an hdd enclosure. To transfer games, pull the hard drive out and put that drive in the enclosure. Attach it to your pc and use winhiip to transfer your iso. Not sure how to do this on a Mac/Linux. If you want to ftp, you’ll need a crossover cable and connect that right to your pc. Use hdldumb. With ftp, your transfer speeds will be around 600-800kbs. It really is more of a headache that taking out your drive each time you wish to add new games.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

lelele5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Thank you very much for your reply. I don't think I can get HDD enclosure now, I'll have to resort to FTP. Let me try that hdldumb and get back to you, hope I can make it work.

Last edited by lelele5,
Reactions: slaphappygamer

lelele5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Hmm the link doesn't work, I tried to get it off dropbox, but looks like Free Mcboot is required. The thing is, I don't even know what's in my PS2.

When I press Select in the main menu "Game Compatibility Settings" pop up and there is option named "Kill HDL after launch". So Does that mean I have HD Loader as well?

EDIT: Looks like I have HD Loader.

Last edited by lelele5,

lelele5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I searched some of the options in the Google, and by the looks of it I have HD Loader installed, the menu design, information layout is very similar. Plus they all have the same options as me.

The new problem is, the PS2 doesn't have any option for FTP. I opened HDL Dumb but it said "The device is not ready." I'll do a little more research and report back.

Last edited by lelele5,

lelele5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
People keep saying Free Mcboot is required for these types of programs. Should I burn it to a CD and try installing? I can't even access any settings regarding FTP on my PS2.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
FreeMCLoader is not required if you have a modchip

Fastest way to get PS2 iso's on your hdd
- pull the hdd out from the back of your PS2 (Mostly it's an IDE HDD, but you can get cheap SATA backs for the PS2)
- Put it in a usb IDE/Sata cradle/docking station (or use an ide/sata to usb cable)
- Connect to your PC
- Start WinHIIP and do your transffer thing
- Disconnect the safe way from your PC
- Put HDD back into your PS2
- Enjoy

(That's the way i do it with my Matrix modded PS2)
Or when i'm to lazy i just use a burned backup "of my original game! ;)"

lelele5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
As I said, I don't have a converter cable, can't get one either because tomorrow there'll be a curfew due to corona virus. And truth to be told, I broke my XBOX recently so I don't want to get my hands on a HDD anytime soon.

FTP is my only option.

Last edited by lelele5,

lelele5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I learned some new tips about installing the required programs, but I can't open the damn DVD tray. This really messes things up.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no, the dvd tray. Sounds like a slide tool gone bad. Did your ps2 come with a memory card? If it did, insert it, then, you hold triangle while you boot the ps2, youll boot from the memory card at mc0:boot/BOOT.ELF. Also, I think you can hold start and boot. That should boot from hdd.
Just curious, do you see ulaunchelf on the hdloader list? Wonder if there was some homebrew already installed. uLaunchelf has an ftp server built in. Maybe you got lucky there. execftp is another ftp server. I’m really stoked for you. Having a chip is awesome.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

FreeMCLoader is not required if you have a modchip

Fastest way to get PS2 iso's on your hdd
- pull the hdd out from the back of your PS2 (Mostly it's an IDE HDD, but you can get cheap SATA backs for the PS2)
- Put it in a usb IDE/Sata cradle/docking station (or use an ide/sata to usb cable)
- Connect to your PC
- Start WinHIIP and do your transffer thing
- Disconnect the safe way from your PC
- Put HDD back into your PS2
- Enjoy

(That's the way i do it with my Matrix modded PS2)
Or when i'm to lazy i just use a burned backup "of my original game! ;)"
And don’t forget to move the jumper to master to connect it to the ps2. To the pc, it must be set to slave.

lelele5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I tried pressing L1 while booting up the device, nothing happened. The bad thing is I don't have a memory card either.

The game list only shows games for me, I triple checked it. No apps unfortunately.

Won't I need an IDE to USB converter in order to connect my HDD to PC?

lelele5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Maybe something like this?

https://productimages.hepsiburada.net/s/2/550/9573691064370.jpg/format:webp

The comment sections say I'll require a power source though. And they also say it doesn't work with SATA HDDs even though there is a slot for them.

Is removing PS2 HDD a hard thing? Like I said, it's inside the expansion bay. Don't know if this will make things harder or easier.

Last edited by lelele5,

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Usually they are powered. There are 2 sizes of ide drives. There are 2.5” and 3.5”. The ps2 uses a 3.5” ide connection. Its got to be powered. Itd be best if you found one that includes the power supply. It’s very easy to remove from the ps2. On the back of the ps2, you remove the network adapter (There are two big screws that you can use coins to open) and it slides out, then you pull the adapter from the hard drive. Be careful not to “peel” the drive away from the network adapter. You’ll bend the pins on the end. I did that, still works, but finnicky. There will also be a tiny jumper on the hard drive. Don’t lose that. :)

Last edited by slaphappygamer,
Reactions: Alexander1970

lelele5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Cancelled my cable order, because then I would have to get another cable to power the HDD and remove it everytime I want to install something. So instead, I got a FMCB card.

After disabling the chip and restarting the device it booted into FMCB without any problems. However, my PC cannot see it via FTP, no matter what I tried, I used this tutorial as a guide:

I don't know what's going on, I used this ethernet cable for my XBOX and my network adapter seems to be original, with metal screws and such.

Can I use a flash disk to transfer files to PS2's HDD instead?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol