Good Graphics Card that isn't a 8800GTS?

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes, you can run Gears on that POS card, Doesn't mean it's good. Can you run Crysis on that card without getting poor results? Poor as in Low Settings with only about 30fps.

No, no I can't.

Did I say I could? All I remember saying its a good card for running TF2, and that you don't need a damn 8800.

Honestly, not all of us have 200/300$ to spend on graphic cards.

(Well... TBH I've never even tried running Crysis)

Even if you did you would get poor settings, Trust me on this. And really you should have an 8800GT at least and not an 8500GT. You have 4GB of RAM( which isn't necessary ) and yet you have an 8500GT which to just doesn't seem logical.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 8600 Line is a poor attempt at a budget card, at least now that the 8800GT is out. Sure the 8600GTS 512MB is only 180$ vs the 250$ but the performance per price ration is MUCH better on the 8800GT, And the 8500GT is a good BUDGET card. se wat i ded thar?
The power supply in my family computer can't handle the 8800GT, and neither will most non-custom built PC be able to handle it, as manufacturers tend to use weak power supply units. A 60$ 8500GT makes much more sense for the average consumer.

I'm not labeling Harsky as the average consumer per se, but I mean, he is asking for advice on just a graphics card, so I'm assuming his PC is store bought, and giving him advice that is most beneficial to him, not the powerhouse gamer with fat wallets.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can run Gears on that POS card, Doesn't mean it's good. Can you run Crysis on that card without getting poor results? Poor as in Low Settings with only about 30fps.

No, no I can't.

Did I say I could? All I remember saying its a good card for running TF2, and that you don't need a damn 8800.

Honestly, not all of us have 200/300$ to spend on graphic cards.

(Well... TBH I've never even tried running Crysis)

Even if you did you would get poor settings, Trust me on this. And really you should have an 8800GT at least and not an 8500GT. You have 4GB of RAM( which isn't necessary ) and yet you have an 8500GT which to just doesn't seem logical.
I have 3GB of RAM, first of all, because I do a lot of video editing. Also see previous post.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
The 8600 Line is a poor attempt at a budget card, at least now that the 8800GT is out. Sure the 8600GTS 512MB is only 180$ vs the 250$ but the performance per price ration is MUCH better on the 8800GT, And the 8500GT is a good BUDGET card. se wat i ded thar?

The power supply in my family computer can't handle the 8800GT, and neither will most non-custom built PC be able to handle it, as manufacturers tend to use weak power supply units. A 60$ 8500GT makes much more sense for the average consumer.

I'm not labeling Harsky as the average consumer per se, but I mean, he is asking for advice on just a graphics card, so I'm assuming his PC is store bought, and giving him advice that is most beneficial to him, not the powerhouse gamer with fat wallets.

If they can buy a 250$ Graphics Card they can buy 45$ 450Watt PSU. And if he bought a Dell PC EVEN A 305Watt PSU can handle an 8800GT.

I have 3GB of RAM, first of all, because I do a lot of video editing. Also see previous post.

Two can play at that game. Look at what I just put up there.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they can buy a 250$ Graphics Card they can buy 45$ 450Watt PSU. And if he bought a Dell PC EVEN A 305Watt PSU can handle an 8800GT.

QUOTE said:

A 305W PSU can't handle an 8800GT.

And what am I looking at?

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

QUOTE said:

Bold

A 305Watt PSU can handle it. But it won't run on full power but it will defitnely run

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is that not what I said in my post like a page and half back. Just take my word for it. If you are on budget, get a last gen card. If you want decent gaming and somewhat future proof get the 8800 GT. If it's just for TF2 meaning you aren't thinking about crysis, gears, etc. then grab the 7900gs.

The 7900GS is DX9 only, but it's faster than the 8600GT. The 8600GT only has DX10, even then it's absolutely unplayable.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Is that not what I said in my post like a page and half back. Just take my word for it. If you are on budget, get a last gen card. If you want decent gaming and somewhat future proof get the 8800 GT. If it's just for TF2 meaning you aren't thinking about crysis, gears, etc. then grab the 7900gs.

The 7900GS is DX9 only, but it's faster than the 8600GT. The 8600GT only has DX10, even then it's absolutely unplayable.

A 7900GS can get Medium on crysis with about 50fps

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I might add the X1900 series from ATI looks good, too. It has the advantage of AA+HDR for games like Oblivion, I don't believe you need to worry about that for Source games though, but it's a thought.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

QUOTE said:

Bold

A 305Watt PSU can handle it. But it won't run on full power but it will defitnely run
Unfortunately, thats not how graphic cards work. You'd get BSOD.

But whatever. I'm quitting this "debate", as its useless. If Harsky has 300$ to spend on graphics and take his PC on the next NASA space trip, let him.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

QUOTE said:

Bold

Unfortunately, thats not how graphic cards work. You'd get BSOD. That's windows for ya, really though you won't. You'll just get a warning from the Nvidia control panel telling you how the card isn't running on full power until you upgrade the PSU

But whatever. I'm quitting this "debate", as its useless. If Harsky has 300$ to spend on graphics and take his PC on the next NASA space trip, let him.

Bold.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On top of this, is your computer running AGP or PCI-e. If it's like 3-4 years old, it might need an AGP card, which throw out the whole debate of 8 series altogether.

acrocosm

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
if it's agp nothing beats an nv40 (geforceFX6800) plus you can flash or soft mod it to a perfect quadroFX4000 if you're into 3d modelling/rendering(gelato)/animation

nevertheless nomater what you choose i'd suggest to get a 2nd handed. 99% it will either work or won't work and will save you a lot of money

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Harsky...I play Team Fortress 2 on a ATI Radeon 9250SE 128MB. Besides the occational crash due to overheating, I've been still dishing out the pwnage...save your money
wink.gif

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
if it's agp nothing beats an nv40 (geforceFX6800) plus you can flash or soft mod it to quadroFX4000 if you're into 3d modelling/rendering(gelato)/animation

nevertheless nomater what you choose i'd suggest to get a 2nd hand. 99% it will either work or won't work and will save you a lot of money

Wtf? An X1950XT kills that card. And wtf you cant soft mod a card into another card.

shaffaaf27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
or for an AGP slot, an x1950pro is probably the best.

oh, and a c2d (e6600) and the 8800GT draw just over 200W from the mains, so a 305w card theoretically could run it, but the voltages on the 12V rail probably would be to little.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: :sad: