Good and Bad things About Nintendo Switch (For Hackers)

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by baselhamad, Dec 9, 2016.

1. baselhamad
    OP

Member baselhamad "F*CK israel", Free Free Palestine #فلسطيني_وأفتخر

United States
    1- Good: the Hackers could Hack The Nintendo Switch. Bad: it will take a years to Hack it
    2- Good: it could be access a Flashcard (Maybe). Bad: it could NOT have a flashcard or it's Protected from flashcards.
    3- Good: it could be hacked by the web browser of the Switch. Bad: it could Not Have a DNS (for preventing updates and the Updates could prevent you from playing online or opening the Web browser or it could force you to update to use a software (like the nintendo 3DS).

If there anything else, comment below

Note: All that writing is from my opinion, i don't know if these 3 things could happens

2. sarkwalvein

Member sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

Argentina
    For Hackers:
    1. Good: It could make a good paperweight for your hacking notes. Bad: The thumpads could be annoying as they make an irregular surface.
    2. Good: Taking the joycons apart it could make three paperweights for your hacking notes. Bad: The joycons may be too light to hold your notes.
    3. Good: The docking station could also be a good paperweight for your notes. Bad: The cables could get in the way.
    /s

3. Jao Chu

Member Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    In this thread: Numbered points of speculation.

No one knows what the good or bad qualities will be regarding hacking the switch.

It's a essentially proven to be a handheld/console hybrid, so i'm imagining it will be exactly the same as hacking a PSTV.....

4. migles

Member migles i'm a dude, i just enjoy pretty girls and money...

Korea, North
    when did gateway card was a good thing? ok ok, it took a really long time to get free gaemz without a gateshit card and it was thanks to him loads of people had free gaemz...
    but i need to throw a rock at you saying an expensive over-rated flashcart with drm is a good thing

anyway, this thread... sorry dude, but this is another "hey, let's play a guessing and speculating game" there is no point of this thread..

i give you the answer, just like every console:
    good: we get free games and cool stuff, and can really play with the device, hacks can keep the device alive for a long time after nintendo discontinues it.
    bad: nintendo and developers may loose interest in the device since everyone is getting gaemz for free, indie companies can't get enough numbers because their 2 bucks game is being distributed for free... lack of support=device dies early

baselhamad likes this.
  5. porkiewpyne

Global Moderator porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    We barely have anything to go by to make any speculation about the console itself, much less about hacking. Will it blow up like the Note 7? Will the sky still be blue? Will cows still go moo?

I swear that this is GBATemp's equivalent of Godwin's law. Hey, why don't we also throw shade at Trump, the Zika virus and ISIS while we are at it eh?

migles likes this.
  6. bitjacker

Member bitjacker GBAtemp Disorderly

United States
    Its good to kill off a console. it forces tech to be refreshed.

7. baselhamad
    OP

Member baselhamad "F*CK israel", Free Free Palestine #فلسطيني_وأفتخر

United States
    i said about the nintendo switch, not ISIS or Trump

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i said (Maybe) not Officially

8. porkiewpyne

Global Moderator porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    But that's exactly the problem that @migles is pointing out. There IS nothing to discuss because most if not all the speculations are baseless, so it won't really be a proper discussion since we can throw out anything without having anything to back the point up.

MajinCubyan likes this.
  9. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Thailand
    I'm pretty sure it won't have a built-in Domain Name Server...

what?

10. Arck

Member Arck GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    oml gateway l33t haxxor team coming with gateswitch in exactly 1 year after switch offcial release date confirmed

nmkd likes this.
  11. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    The good: you can hack your switch day 1 using a very simple one-step process.
    The bad: that process is "swing your axe at the switch until it consists of as many pieces you want".

The good: nintendo might include a "press this button to automatically hack your switch and start downloading our entire catalog for free NOW!!! :D "
    The bad: chances of that are less likely than everyone in the world winning the lottery on the same day...today.

The good: the portability of the thing allows you to showcase your 1337 haxxor skillz to your friends
    The bad: your "1337 haxxor skillz" consists of lurking on gbatemp and scriptkiddie'ing the work of others

The good: maybe the browser will have a day 0 java buffer overflow error that could lead to low-level access to the switch registry where you can bypass main security to inject programs with loopholes so you can run unsigned stuff on kernel level.
    The bad: the last sentence is just a bunch of regular hacking terms thrown together to make me look smart, while the "maybe" word at the start neatly conceals the fact that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

12. DinohScene

Member DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    The Switch might get hacked for Linux.
    That's what hackers do, they don't hack for pirates to pirate, they hack for themselves to run their own software and or because it's fun reverse engineering software.
    IF, the switch allows for Linux to be installed on it, hackers see no point in hacking it.

Want an example?
    PS3.

gnmmarechal, CatmanFan, nmkd and 2 others like this.
  13. Yil

Member Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Good: The games can be hacked and exported. Bad: Most micro sd cards are too small to hold them (imagine 128gb only able to hold two games).
    Good: The hardware is potentially feasible for alternative uses. Bad: Nvidia hard locks all support for gpu computing.
    Good: The clock can be pushed to match PS4. Bad: The board fries an hour after turning it on.

CatmanFan and nmkd like this.
  14. Mrrraou

Member Mrrraou GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

France
    since you can use it as an external sd in your own k9lh payloads and stuff

15. einstein95

Member einstein95 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Good: It's eventually hackable. Bad: It's eventually hackable by GBATemp users.

delta nite and nmkd like this.
  16. foob

Member foob GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    How can the motivations of (presumably) all hackers be as consistent as you state? It's entirely possible some of them have other motivations. Sony also removed the Linux support many years ago, didn't they?

17. DinohScene

Member DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    Sony removed Linux in.. 2009? not entirely sure.
    Anyway, it took less then a year after Sony removed Linux for the PS3 to be hacked wide open.
    If that wasn't the case, it would've been another couple of years before a hack might have happened.

Geohot was poking around outside of Linux for a bit as well as others before it got removed.
    But the hackers already had code running so there wasn't any point to hack it.

Ofcourse, times have changed but the concept is still the same.
    Hackers want their own code running on said device.
    It's the pirates who benefit from that hack.

18. mikey420

Member mikey420 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    They actually removed it because a hacker was close to gaining gameOS code execution through an exploit of the guest os system....

foob likes this.
  19. Thunder Kai

Member Thunder Kai #TeamRem

United States
    it could be used as a microwave cleaner

nmkd likes this.
  20. mikey420

Member mikey420 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    See my last post in this thread.... It was removed because the guestos was close to being exploited by a hacker to bypass the gameOS hypervisor security. If not for that geohot and fail0verfl0w likely wouldn't have released the flaw they found in the signing until after Sony fixed there method of calculating the key.