Hardware Giving the 3DS a third chance?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've been doing some thinking, about my past with the 3DS and 3DS XL, how I have a job now (income), also, given that the fact the homebrew scene has been becoming more diverse as time goes on (emulators running full speed), I'm tempted. I'm tempted to give it a third try, because when it comes down to it, it's actually a pretty good home console, and is compatible with DS and GBA games (via emulation and VC hacking), that being said, I don't want to jump the gun quite yet. There are a few things I am wondering about, concerns if you will regarding the firmware and downgrading it; as far as I know, even without a Gateway, you can still go on their website and get the 4.5 firmware, pop it on an SD card and downgrade that way. A few questions remain however:

1 - Get it new, or get it refurbished?
Downside with refurb is there's no way to know the serial no. for it (esp. if you go via Nintendo's online store, they are pretty cheap though).

2 - 3DS XL or New 3DS?
The XL is a lot cheaper, but in the long run, would the New 3DS be all that impacting for future emulators?

3 - The best hack to use for homebrew use (primarily emulation)
Ninjax? Tubehax or the Ironhax? I know Ironfall has been pulled, so probably Tubehax is the way, I don't know.
Admittedly I'm out of the loop when it comes to setting up the 3DS for the right hacks for running emulators and so forth.

Maybe I'm crazy for wanting to try again, but for a while, I also confess that I've felt bad for selling the 3DS on two occasions, it's a weird situation. Anyways, I'd love to have your feedback and suggestions :P

Cavioe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. If for old 3ds models, you can find the XL everywhere and those will have <9.2 firmware. Same goes for the smaller old one but not too common to find new. Refurbished from Nintendo will most likely be updated to past 9.2. Even the ones from gamestop are also usually updated. But check the craigslist or ebay as you can find them pretty easily by the pictures.

2. Preference is the New 3DS being that the emulators from retroarch work much better on it. Downside though is that for CFW, emunand only can be 9.5 highest. Old 3ds can get most recent 10.1. This is mainly affecting those games where it has to be cryptofixed with the seed from the uploader. Which can take time.

3. My preference and choice is ninjhax and owning a copy of cubic ninja. Yes its a bit much for a crappy game but having the physical game is more convenient.

Last edited by Cavioe,
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. If for old 3ds models, you can find the XL everywhere and those will have <9.2 firmware. Same goes for the smaller old one but not too common to find new. Refurbished from Nintendo will most likely be updated to past 9.2. Even the ones from gamestop are also usually updated. But check the craigslist or ebay as you can find them pretty easily by the pictures.

2. Preference is the New 3DS being that the emulators from retroarch work much better on it. Downside though is that for CFW, emunand only can be 9.5 highest. Old 3ds can get most recent 10.1. This is mainly affecting those games where it has to be cryptofixed with the seed from the uploader. Which can take time.

3. My preference and choice is ninjhax and owning a copy of cubic ninja. Yes its a bit much for a crappy game but having the physical game is more convenient.

I wish to avoid the regular 3DS (way too small for my eyes and hands, my hand ain't small lol), the XL is perfect though as for getting new vs. getting it refurbished for $130 or so from Nintendo. The FW can be downgraded using the files from Gateway's site, correct? Though I can guess I really don't need those files that badly. Now, with the New 3DS, it sounds like more of a pain to set up for homebrew, but I assume there are guides on how I can do all that, I think, that, and I wish I could find them for cheaper. So, getting an XL vs a New 3DS will be a hard decision since the XL is much cheaper, but I'll think on it some more, too bad no one on the Temp has one to sell :P

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I wish to avoid the regular 3DS (way too small for my eyes and hands, my hand ain't small lol), the XL is perfect though as for getting new vs. getting it refurbished for $130 or so from Nintendo. The FW can be downgraded using the files from Gateway's site, correct? Though I can guess I really don't need those files that badly. Now, with the New 3DS, it sounds like more of a pain to set up for homebrew, but I assume there are guides on how I can do all that, I think, that, and I wish I could find them for cheaper. So, getting an XL vs a New 3DS will be a hard decision since the XL is much cheaper, but I'll think on it some more, too bad no one on the Temp has one to sell :P
a temper might sell one if you ask for in the WTB section :)

Cavioe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And to add to my comments above if homebrew like emulators are not a big thing for you then the old XL model will be better. We still kept our old one as the emunand can be updated to the latest. And it worked out well as the new ACHD game that just launched works as a CIA right off the bat for her. So it saved me the trouble to have to find a cryptofixed version.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
The FW can be downgraded using the files from Gateway's site, correct?
Kind of. You can only downgrade from 9.2 or below to 4.x. You can't downgrade the latest firmware 3DS to 4.x. I made a video a while back on how to do it. The process isn't too hard to understand.

But if you guy a 9.3 or higher 3DS, then you can't use CFW or Gateway (but you can use Sky3DS and Tube/Iron/Ninjhax)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D