GBAtemp V5 is online!

Dear Tempers,

The GBAtemp Team is happy to present the Fifth version of GBAtemp (this isn't even its final form!). TJ and I have been working on it for months and it's finally ready for you to use. There are tons of changes so I will only highlight the biggest ones, and you'll discover the rest by yourself over time.

A new homepage
We have created a brand new customizable and modern homepage. Its layout can be adjusted to fit your personal preference - move your mouse over the "Home" menu item and click "Customize your portal" to make your changes.

New site skin
We have updated the site and forum skin to look more modern with new colors and fonts. Both skins have been updated (light & dark). We are still working out the kinks, we are aware of a few minor issues, not everything's perfect yet but in time we'll get there!

Mobile friendly browsing
Finally you can browse GBAtemp on your mobile devices... without Tapatalk! Our new skin is fully responsive, just try it, it looks fantastic! All site features are supported, including the dark theme.

Ask GBAtemp!
If you have been around long enough you already know what this is. But for the others: Ask GBAtemp is a place where you can ask simple questions and get direct answers, in a similar manner to Yahoo Answers. There are already thousands of questions back from a few years ago, and it's now time to get back at it! Go ahead and ask your questions if you've got any.

Board upgrade
We have updated our forum software to the latest version, and this brings a lot of improvements on all fronts. The biggest and most noticeable improvements are:
- a new message editor supporting image paste and drag & drop
- watching a forum to get notifications when new posts are made
- multi-quote and selective quoting
- thread-wide bans... whoops, this is going to come in handy for the mod team
- online status indicator on avatars

We hope you will enjoy browsing the new and improved GBAtemp. Feel free to reply to this thread to give us feedback. Many thanks to tj_cool for doing most of the work!

A discussion forum has been created to centralize discussions revolving around GBAtemp v5. Click here to access it! We have already created several thread about known issues.

Costello & the GBAtemp Team

logo.png

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Not to be mean or anything...
the front page is too busy for me...
The previous layout was more relaxing..
You can edit the front page layout. Just hover over the home button and click the customize your portal option. From there, you can have just the amount of information you want on the screen.

Reactions: Margen67 and nxwing

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Having gotten on from my phone for the first time, I have to say, the site is really comfortable on mobile. It's nice having basically the same interface between desktop and mobile. I have to admit though, I'm on my Nexus 6, so what I find very comfortable in terms of mobile sites may differ from those not using a phablet.

Reactions: nxwing

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I don't understand why people likes tapatalk. It's interface is ugly, confusing and not much appealing.

The new mobile site layout though, is very confortable to use, and pretty much what I wanted tapatalk to be.

Reactions: nxwing and daxtsu

Lycan911

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't understand why people likes tapatalk. It's interface is ugly, confusing and not much appealing.

The new mobile site layout though, is very confortable to use, and pretty much what I wanted tapatalk to be.
Push notifications. And I got used to it, now I'll have to get used to this... thing.

Reactions: Walker D and nxwing

night_hawk

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Only new versions of the app, i have an old version, very easy to use, more friendly, i tried the new one and it's a shit. Mobile versione of gbatemo vs tapatalk, no way, tapatalk wins

Reactions: nxwing and Lycan911

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Only new versions of the app, i have an old version, very easy to use, more friendly, i tried the new one and it's a shit. Mobile versione of gbatemo vs tapatalk, no way, tapatalk wins
Fair enough.

Lycan911

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, forgot to mention that I also have the old version of Tapatalk, since my phone has Gingerbread and doesn't support newer versions.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

For me it isn't at all.
As I just notice writing a comment is insanely laggy and for me it was much more convenient browsing in desktop mode on my smartphone which doesn't seem to work now

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't understand why users don't like that top-right permanent menu. It was there on IPB too and nobody complained. I missed it when we switched to xenforo.
It's not very obstructive (maybe we could make it more transparent when scrolling the page, and make it opaque with mouse over, like it used to be on IPB)
It's very useful to access alerts without scrolling the page to the top and losing what you were reading

I guess making it more transparent when scrolling will please more users.
The IPB one fit really fine no matter what, this one is a bit gaudy, it catches too much attention,
maybe with some new and more discreet icons it will get a bit better.
Also, if it had round corners would make it more discreet

Reactions: nxwing and Minox

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
New layout is nice and fast. You guys did a great job on the code. Also the massive ban thread is OK. What I would like to see is less children posts as that will increase the useful posts available and will gain more interest from ie: talented developers. And the overall community will be better. Thanks¡

Reactions: nxwing and VinsCool

TinyBilbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shame..., site seems to have lost it's soul...
It now looks like every other busy mobile site.

When it's stripped (edited) down to a more tolerable look it just becomes.... well.. bland!!

I guess we just gotta live with it...

Although I'll admit it probably is easier to use on a mobile device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    and a sony
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can map a button on your remote to launch the script call it a day
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd stay on 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I had a spare ps4 on 10.0 so decided to try it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i just want to play the psp resistance port
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psps are high tech
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    there is no backported version for me fw
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't own the hardware?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    both 2 psp busted
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hunt down a vita?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Tried, but the conditions i saw most of 'em left me reelin'
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You won't find a excellent condition unless you wanna pay $200
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i know, it's as much as getting a new switch lite
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could always get a poor condition slim and shell swap it slims are easier to swap out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    with money left to spare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or maybe an Anbernic device that can emulate psp
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psps still going for $100 on ebay lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i'll consider it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    if only i can backport the game meself
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pretty sure the new flip one can do psp if you don't mind the sp design