Gbatemp app concept v2

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I think my design would be the best, if everyone hates simplified material design :P Stock Gingerbread theme with stock Android controls :P
Also, I won't make a concept art, because that would make people lose their ability to see, and I'm lazy to throw a demo app together :P

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just to interject - if you are developing an app, please make it a progressive web-app and not a native app. Progressive web-apps are cross-platform by nature, and can be added to the homescreen / whatever-the-fuck-else-you-want. Native apps are larger than they need to be, and are far more limiting as far as disk-space goes (do you really want another 30mb+ phone app)?

Also, isn't Tapatalk already a thing here?

(If you are looking for developers and do chose the PWA option, drop me a line)

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Just to interject - if you are developing an app, please make it a progressive webapp and not a native app. Progressive web-apps are cross-platform by nature, and can be added to the homescreen / whatever-the-fuck-else-you-want. Native apps are larger than they need to be, and are far more limiting as far as disk-space goes (do you really want another 30mb+ phone app)?

Also, isn't Tapatalk already a thing here?

1. Yes, there's Apache Cordova
  2. Welp, some WebViews are very shitty and limited, I would avoid the use of them
  3. I call it bullshit. It's only the case, because they bundle a shitton of unnecessary tracking-advertising crapware...
  4. It is, but we need a better alternative :P

Sent from my school lappy™ Celeron N3050 using Click-a-Firefox-Developer-Edition

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
  1. Yes, there's Apache Cordova
  2. Welp, some WebViews are very shitty and limited, I would avoid the use of them
  3. I call it bullshit. It's only the case, because they bundle a shitton of unnecessary tracking-advertising crapware...
  4. It is, but we need a better alternative :P
Sent from my school lappy™ Celeron N3050 using Click-a-Firefox-Developer-Edition
I'm aware of Cordova - it's something I've already used in production, but absolutely hate because it performs like shit (ever written a spring animation? Not fun, and that's if you can even get it run on a Nexus 7!). PWAs are a "new" thing, the current hip trend in web development because they allow us to solve many of the pains we've had with unstable networks (they're a direct consequence of the extensible web manifesto). Right now Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge and Chrome all support PWA technology (heck, Apple invented its original form, which is surprisingly innovative for modern Apple), and it's a safe bet. Flipkart recently launched a PWA to replace their mobile app, and saw mobile conversions go up 70%.

Native binaries are *huge*, that's a fact and there's not much getting around that. In many cases they're bundling boilerplate code, things that are already baked in by default. Also the install experience is significantly easier, and there's no bullshit fees to pay.

Agreed that Tapatalk is bullshit.

Sent from my HipsterBook Pro with Retina.

Last edited by Frederica Bernkastel,
Reactions: Sono

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Sent from my HipsterBook Pro with Retina.

:rofl2:

*cough*

Anyways, I like to make native apps, unless I need to make an *actual* website, and not a web app.

*looks at 'TempNotifierDroid apk size*
...well, you kinda won in the "app size" war here :P
*looks at TerraInveditDroid's apk size*
DAFUQ! I take back what I just said! Native apps are much smaller. Period :P

Edit: but ye, web apps are *much, MUCH more* portable. meh

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slice 1.png

Card layout but a wii (pun) bit different.

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. I do actually have experience with xCode and Swift. I have a Developer ID and I'm able to sign apps and upload them to the app store. I could gladly work with GBAtemp to make this a thing.
Sorry I didn't read this in time. If I decide to take up actually coding I'll let you know but I can't do any of that so I doubt out. The reason why I started coding is because I wanted people to "Wow, you made that!" I then realized it wasn't the code they where wowing at it was what it does and how it looks which is now why I'm really into UI / UX design.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4