Gaming GBA hits 3DS for ambassadors, and look awful!

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't get it, I personally like the GBA virtual console pretty much, it looks just fine and the resize feature makes the picture looking alright, nothing bad to say, the games are even always on 100% (The wii is not able to emulate the GBA on 100% btw :P).

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't get it, I personally like the GBA virtual console pretty much, it looks just fine and the resize feature makes the picture looking alright, nothing bad to say, the games are even always on 100% (The wii is not able to emulate the GBA on 100% btw :P).
3DS isn't exactly emulating it either, ARM11 can execute ARM7 codes, so it's more virtualization. Similar architecture helps. ;)

loco365

Trophies
XP
People complain about the graphics of a 10 years old system? LMAO

2549Z.jpg
You just summed up my ideas in one sentence (and image).

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll give an unbiased report on this subject. I'm going to pitch in here as someone who owns a Supercard DSTWO, which has a GBA emulator, comparing how GBA games look. The comments about the GBA ambassador games appearing much duller and containing motion blur are completely valid. It's very much true and extremely noticeable (not just a subtle change). The argument that they're free and you shouldn't complain has no bearing on this issue.

I'd imagine the dullness was an attempt to emulate the original GBA colors more perfectly. I guess this is somewhat effective, but it doesn't fix the overly bright colors of Yoshi's Island for example, it just looks like the screen brightness was brought down a few notches. At best, this produces more perfect black levels (though whites are somewhat dull). Minor gripe, but i digress. It sort of emulates the game being played on an SP or DS Phat before the better and brighter LCD screens were given for second gen SP's, DS Lite, and GBA Micro. If you want an idea on how they look, play a GBA game on a DS Lite with the brightness lowered down to the first or second level.

The motion blur on the other hand... Well i cannot think of a single decent reason it's there. It's not due to scaling, this happens even when you hold start/select to play in original resolution. And it does NOT happen when you play the games emulated on the DSTWO in original resolution either, so it's not because of the 3DS' screen or anything. This is something that was added in on purpose, though i can't fathom the reason. There's a similar effect available in the PC GBA emulator Visualboy Advance. You can enable motion blur when playing with a frameskip of at least 1. Problem here is that it doesn't look like there is any sort of frameskipping enabled, it's smooth (smoother than VBA when a frameskip of 1 is enabled). This actually does look pretty bad and can induce headaches (so i see why people are complaining, especially when there was no seemingly good reason to have it). This is one very valid complaint, i can see why people are complaining and would consider you well within your rights to be unhappy about it. It even gave me a headache at first before i got used to it. Though on the upside, i'd say it's much better than having to play the games emulated with a frameskip on the DSTWO. Still, perfectly valid issue, i don't blame anyone for being pissed off about this.

Now all that said, the original post and link are completely blowing this out of proportion. They don't look absolutely horrible or unplayable in any way. I'm actually pretty happy with the games, even with some minor warts (yes minor). And the article doesn't mention that you can choose which resolution to play them in. They don't even look blurry in fullscreen, they scale quite well in fact. I enjoy using the analog slider as alternative control. I also like that X can be used as an alternative to B. People complaining about the inability to use B+Y, it's kind of a useless one since X+A has the same feel to it in terms of how the buttons are positioned and proportioned to one another. So those are other unmentioned aspects. So, pros and cons here from my unbiased take on things. Take them as you will.

Reactions: 1 person

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The motion blur on the other hand... Well i cannot think of a single decent reason it's there. It's not due to scaling, this happens even when you hold start/select to play in original resolution.
Yeah true point, I personally needed to a while to life with this but now I find it a bit better than the original picture :P So it's just some point which may differ from person to person.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to clarify that the motion blur seems to vary somewhat from game to game. I mean, it's there in them all, but it's worse in some than in others. It seems worst in Yoshi's Island and Mario Kart, but not really that bad in Kirby AA, Metroid Fusion, and Wario Land 4. Minish Cap barely has it at all (i can't even really notice it).

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there is no frameskipping in the VC for GBA games?
Doesn't look like it. They're extremely smooth. And i can compare directly what frameskipping would look like too, the DSTWO GBA emulator basically requires a frameskip of at least 1 (for most games) to be playable without the sound skipping of the games chugging at slow-mo speed (effectively dropping the framerate down from 60fps to 30fps). The Ambassador games are buttery smooth however, they run just as they originally did.

Daniel Carville

Fantastic.
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dcvidya.com
XP
Country
Interesting replies.
Instead of quoting so many people, I'll just address issues in this post.

1. I'm not a Sony fanboy or whatever you people think, I do not own any Playstation's past 2, and even then, I only play PS1.
Nor do I have a 360.
I'm pretty much PC + Nintendo pro, but I wouldn't bash 360 or PS3, those days are long gone.

2. Yes I exagerate, but to get my message across, I needed to show that the motion blur WAS a serious problem, and it's something Nintendo needs to take care of.

3. Advertising? No, in case you haven't noticed, there's little to nothing available on the site, all I was doing was sharing what I wrote.

4. Posted in the wrong section? A mod moved it immediately and I was thankful, I wasn't sure where to post it.

5. Apparently this was risky for a newbie or whatever, but I've lurked the forum for long enough, so whatever.

6. I know how to run the games in 1:1 mode, I always have, problem is, this makes no difference to the motion blur.

So, nice flamewar you guys have going on.

Mods, lock this thread if you see fit, it's apparent that most people posting ITT cannot handle an argument without shitting on each other.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Interesting replies.
Instead of quoting so many people, I'll just address issues in this post.

1. I'm not a Sony fanboy or whatever you people think, I do not own any Playstation's past 2, and even then, I only play PS1.
Nor do I have a 360.
I'm pretty much PC + Nintendo pro, but I wouldn't bash 360 or PS3, those days are long gone.

2. Yes I exagerate, but to get my message across, I needed to show that the motion blur WAS a serious problem, and it's something Nintendo needs to take care of.

3. Advertising? No, in case you haven't noticed, there's little to nothing available on the site, all I was doing was sharing what I wrote.

4. Posted in the wrong section? A mod moved it immediately and I was thankful, I wasn't sure where to post it.

5. Apparently this was risky for a newbie or whatever, but I've lurked the forum for long enough, so whatever.

6. I know how to run the games in 1:1 mode, I always have, problem is, this makes no difference to the motion blur.

So, nice flamewar you guys have going on.

Mods, lock this thread if you see fit, it's apparent that most people posting ITT cannot handle an argument without shitting on each other.

Comrade, you not only posted a slanted opinion pieceas objective news, you posted your OWN opinion piece as news, and did not identify yourself as the author.

Also nobody will want to view your site, free or not, if it looks shitty

Edit:
>1. I'm not a Sony fanboy or whatever you people think, I do not own any Playstation's past 2, and even then, I only play PS1.
Are you telling me you don't play PS2 games

Ssx9

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My only complaint is the lack of button customization. Otherwise it looks fine. You can switch to the original resolution, if you want.

Edit:
>1. I'm not a Sony fanboy or whatever you people think, I do not own any Playstation's past 2, and even then, I only play PS1.

What do you mean, Midna :l ?

Daniel Carville

Fantastic.
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dcvidya.com
XP
Country
Comrade, you not only posted a slanted opinion pieceas objective news, you posted your OWN opinion piece as news, and did not identify yourself as the author.

Also nobody will want to view your site, free or not, if it looks shitty

Edit:

>greentext

Opinion? Motion blur is an opinion? I guess my opinion is that Yoshi's Island looks like shit on 3DS, but no, facts are not opinions.

PS2 has an incredible roster of games, but yes, I don't play PS2 anymore.
Also, the site doesn't look bad, deal with it.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
This is an objective title:
GBA hits 3DS for ambassadors, has upscaling and motion blur

This is an opinionated title:
GBA hits 3DS for ambassadors, and looks awful

Reactions: 1 person

Daniel Carville

Fantastic.
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dcvidya.com
XP
Country
This is an objective title:
GBA hits 3DS for ambassadors, has upscaling and motion blur

This is an opinionated title:
GBA hits 3DS for ambassadors, and looks awful
It's unlikely that people are going to actually like motion blur and de-saturated upscaled images.
So yes, while that is an opinion, its also the general consensus?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: after i restes peacfully