Gaming GBA hits 3DS for ambassadors, and look awful!

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Desaturation isn't the proper word. The colors look the same as they did on the GBA. The image has just been darkened as if played on a lower brightness setting. They also have two options- original resolution or stretched. And unless you'd like your image to appear all jagged with uneven pixels (the scaling isn't 2x the original, so some things are going to look awkwardly scaled), the blur filter is basically required to make the games look at all decent stretched.

The motion blur is the only real problem. And how bad it is is completely subjective. You also covered nothing about being able to use the analog slide pad, or that X also functions as an alternate button for Y (alleviating any control gripes people might have with how buttons are positions). And of course you never mention that the games can be booted unstretched in original resolution.

Saying they're unplayable is a laughable statement too. There's nothing unplayable about these games at all.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The real issue is that you cited yourself as a news source. It took 21 posts to figure out that you were just reposting your own blog. And your blog article was merely your impression after playing the ambassador games. An opinion that you believe will be commonly held is still an opinion.

Daniel Carville

Fantastic.
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dcvidya.com
XP
Country
Desaturation isn't the proper word. The colors look the same as they did on the GBA.

No, they're desaturated.
Rendering what the GBA see's, even when using true GBA colors, looks much more saturated than this.

Are you implying that Nintendo are replicating the original GBA's screens flaws?

loismustdie555

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don’t know, the NES and Gameboy games on the 3DS were quite poor, not selection wise, but rather performance wise.
The controls were limited to A and B, no Y/B alternetive (trust me, nobody likes A/B on a SNES style controller.)
The sound was pretty bad, the visuals were sub-par, and you had 0 control over screensize, it was a very small 4:3 “Original” sized screen port, which wasn’t exactly fantastic, considering the 3DS’s widescreen was left with only half its pixels on.
Now, they DID add a simple enough save and load state function, which was good, to say the least.

Turns out, the GBA games are simply awful looking.
They’re blurry, dull, de-saturated, motion-blurred/ghosted boring images, that look REALLY bad when playing.

To say the absolute best thing about them is that they almost fill the widescreen of the 3DS, which is great! But honestly? I can’t even PLAY these games without feeling sick, the motion blur is seriously reminiscent of an old VHS tape on a shitty CRT TV.

http://dancube.com/v...and-look-awful/

It's a damn shame about Yoshi's Island in perticular.
Either way though, the GBA lineup is amazing.

everybody is probably going to scream "Trolololololololololololololololololololololololol" on me for saying this but,

i disagree on your "nobody likes a/b controls on an snes style controller" comment for 2 reasons

1. I grew up on the nes (back then it was just called nintendo) and gameboy, and then a snes and my gameboy color, and i had super mario all stars on my nes and was pissed because i could NOT have an a/b control style so i sold it for yoshi's island (which i LOVE the controls for btw {but ONLY YOSHI!!!}) and as for my gbc, it RULED!!! everyone was jealous because i had the NEW thing and only SOME of them had the gameboy pocket ( haha!! ), PLUS i had all the good games ( plus a color pallete option which i never found out about until {literally} 2 years ago )

2. i have OCD, but that only apllies to me.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Desaturation isn't the proper word. The colors look the same as they did on the GBA.

No, they're desaturated.
Rendering what the GBA see's, even when using true GBA colors, looks much more saturated than this.

Are you implying that Nintendo are replicating the original GBA's screens flaws?
The entire screen is darker, but that's what they look like when you play them on a DS Phat for example. Desaturation is not the right word for it, the entire screen just appears darker as if the backlight were turned down. This has no bearing on how saturated the colors are though. You don't seem to know what color saturation means...

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As there is confusion as to what's desaturated or darkened, I got a screenshot from google of Minish Cap, and applied a 50% reduction of saturation, 50% reduction of brightness, and a 50% reduction of contrast using Photoshop. The results are below.

originalva.jpg
debright.jpg
desaturated.jpg
decontrast.jpg

Judging by these pictures, it pains me to say that I agree with Daniel, they truly look the most like the desaturated one when played on the 3DS.

Reactions: 1 person

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Guys, don't you realize he is just using a trolling technique to get more views on his site?
The only post on his whole site that got more than one comment is this one right here, because people hate the post and want to disagree with him.
So all he is doing is advertising in a very annoying way, I say a mod should remove the source.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fully disagree with this, the GBA games look like they did on the GBA case and point, a save state function would have been nice though and full screen!

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I've never owned or played a GBA before but the moment I loaded up a VC and saw the title screen I was like "Hmm...game looks dull".
screens.gif

Take a look. Nintendo did this to all GBA games made for the original GBA. It was necessary to help people see without a lighted display. Now, in a world of extremely well lit displays, the originals would look washed out and faded. Nintendo is just trying to correct this.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As there is confusion as to what's desaturated or darkened, I got a screenshot from google of Minish Cap, and applied a 50% reduction of saturation, 50% reduction of brightness, and a 50% reduction of contrast using Photoshop. The results are below.

*snip*

Judging by these pictures, it pains me to say that I agree with Daniel, they truly look the most like the desaturated one when played on the 3DS.

I used Irfanview for my brightness comparison. There's a saturation setting, but this dulls just the colors, not the blacks and whites like the 3DS does. The brightness setting however, yielded almost a perfect comparison when i took a shot i saved via emulator. I also compared to how the game looks when played on the DSTWO GBA emulator. Here's my results-

Original-
sisland01.jpg

Desaturated-
sisland01desat.jpg

Reduced Brightness-
sisland01dark.jpg

The screen i took where i reduced the brightness is exactly how it appears for me on the 3DS. At least on my PC's display (which in itself has similar colors and brightness settings to the 3DS'. The desaturated image isn't how it looks. The colors on the Ambassador titles aren't washed out, just darkened. And white and black levels are also darkened. Actually, it should be noted that when you play original GBA games on a brighter screen like the DS Lite, black levels are actually too light and more gray.

Reactions: 4 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really didn't what people are complaining about. I looks like it bother you that it doesn't look the same. Which you can only tell by sitting trying to compare where you
could be actually playing. Without trying to compare it to anything, it doesn't look awful nor unplayable. Seriously, it like more people inspect games whether than actually play
them.

Desaturated? It looks nothing of the sort.

D

Deleted User

I own Mario Kart on gba, i did a comparison, when you hold Start when loading the game, they look 99% the same
your 3ds must have power saving on and screen brightness on low ;P

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own Mario Kart on gba, i did a comparison, when you hold Start when loading the game, they look 99% the same
No, my 3DS is on full brightness settings and power saving mode is off. It's only the GBA games that do this anyways, other games and apps aren't affected. If you want to see firsthand, take that first Yoshi's Island original shot i posted in my spoiler above and put it on your 3DS to view in images. That's how the original looks brightness wise, no alterations. Then go play the VC game. Normal people will be able to tell there's a difference. It's very noticeable. Or again, just use my comparison, that's a pretty darn accurate example of the difference in brightness.

The resolution mode doesn't affect how bright the game is anyways, nor does it remove the motion blur while the screen is moving. All it does is play in original resolution without any stretching or filtering.

D

Deleted User

No, my 3DS is on full brightness settings and power saving mode is off. It's only the GBA games that do this anyways, other games and apps aren't affected. If you want to see firsthand, take that first Yoshi's Island original shot i posted in my spoiler above and put it on your 3DS to view in images. That's how the original looks brightness wise, no alterations. Then go play the VC game. Normal people will be able to tell there's a difference. It's very noticeable. Or again, just use my comparison, that's a pretty darn accurate example of the difference in brightness.

The resolution mode doesn't affect how bright the game is anyways, nor does it remove the motion blur while the screen is moving. All it does is play in original resolution without any stretching or filtering.
Your right actually, I still find both mario kart or metriods brightness to be bad, all the other games but do dark brightness
But then again i have pretty bad eye sight :P

Daniel Carville

Fantastic.
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dcvidya.com
XP
Country
Guys, don't you realize he is just using a trolling technique to get more views on his site?
The only post on his whole site that got more than one comment is this one right here, because people hate the post and want to disagree with him.
So all he is doing is advertising in a very annoying way, I say a mod should remove the source.

Trolling technique? Holy shit don't make me laugh,, in no way shape or form is my op a troll, you're more than likely a Redditfag if you have that mentality.
My site has next to 0 content, I have no plans to advertise a boring site.
I'll remove the source myself.

Now, don't call me out for the stupidest shit.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK I now took pictures from the minish cap, now look:
comparison1.jpg

comparison2l.jpg

The upper picture is the 3DS one and the lower from my GBA SP original game. Now say again something about desaturated picture :P

Reactions: 2 people

Daniel Carville

Fantastic.
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dcvidya.com
XP
Country
I aint gonna lie, that looks much better, but that's comparing the GBA SP's screen VS 3DS's screen.
Try running the game through an emulator on PC, or GBA cart in a DS Lite to see it's true colors

The more I hear people argue about this, I seriously think Nintendo done this on purpose, trying to emulate what the old GBA screen actually looked like, instead of taking advantage of the new screen.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-