Hacking Gateway: The Pudding Is Not A Lie (7.2.0)

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 30,936
  • Replies 123
  • Likes 3

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i doubt its a lack of motivation, money is the best motivator the is and the first flashcard with 6.x/7.x im sure would get a good deal of that, its more of a trade off between working to keep sales coming in vs looking for an exploit that may not be there, atm i think gateway are focusing on keeping the sales coming in, but im sure they will at least still be looking at expanding compatibility......just not as their main focus.

To my understanding, I thought that any vulnerability was patched after 4.5, essentially locking out all chances of using the exploit, much less finding a new one.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No just the exploits that were found and utilized already. There may still be more in the system that no one has found yet. In fact Smealum seems to think Sppwn could work on 7.0, IIRC.

bartimeaus91

Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No just the exploits that were found and utilized already. There may still be more in the system that no one has found yet. In fact Smealum seems to think Sppwn could work on 7.0, IIRC.

Two problems to that. First of all, SSSPwn requires a entry point in layman's term, SSSPwn is part 2 of the exploit, you need part 1 to load part 2.

Second, Smealum has been adamant that SSSpwn because of its inherent design does not allow for rom loading. This could possibly be because SSSpwn can only run arm11 code and not arm9 code. Also, Smealum seems to be strongly against FREE piracy, now the reasons as to why he hates providing or contributing to a free rom loading solution is debatable. He might have some personal interests against the creation of a free rom loading solution to compete with gateway/MT, or it could simply be because he has really strong moral standards. The reasons as to why he doesn't want to contribute towards a free rom loading solution is frankly at this point of time useless. There are some up and rising developers that dev/hack for the 3ds using the true hacker spirit so that's fine. But ultimately, we just have to wait and see what happens. There's no longer a monopoly of 3ds hacking. Its an exciting time for 3ds right now.

TL;DR. Wait and see. At this point of time, it seems that everything is possible (e.g. who would have thought GW can play online)

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two problems to that. First of all, SSSPwn requires a entry point in layman's term, SSSPwn is part 2 of the exploit, you need part 1 to load part 2.

Second, Smealum has been adamant that SSSpwn because of its inherent design does not allow for rom loading. This could possibly be because SSSpwn can only run arm11 code and not arm9 code. Also, Smealum seems to be strongly against FREE piracy, now the reasons as to why he hates providing or contributing to a free rom loading solution is debatable. He might have some personal interests against the creation of a free rom loading solution to compete with gateway/MT, or it could simply be because he has really strong moral standards. The reasons as to why he doesn't want to contribute towards a free rom loading solution is frankly at this point of time useless. There are some up and rising developers that dev/hack for the 3ds using the true hacker spirit so that's fine. But ultimately, we just have to wait and see what happens. There's no longer a monopoly of 3ds hacking. Its an exciting time for 3ds right now.

TL;DR. Wait and see. At this point of time, it seems that everything is possible (e.g. who would have thought GW can play online)

From Smea:

" all ssspwn needs to run on 7.x is a userland exploit that would give us ROP capabilities. we have a couple promising leads already."

And "free piracy" is redundant.

I'm sure gateway (or someone else) will find a way to run gateway using ssspawn.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because piracy is available for the 3ds, I have bought 3 3ds games (4 if you count the cart that came with my used 3ds). If piracy were not available, I would have bought no games, and no 3ds.

I'm likely to buy at least one more eshop game if gateway figure out how to get me back on the eshop :)

bartimeaus91

Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From Smea:

" all ssspwn needs to run on 7.x is a userland exploit that would give us ROP capabilities. we have a couple promising leads already."

And "free piracy" is redundant.

I'm sure gateway (or someone else) will find a way to run gateway using ssspawn.

The underlined bit is exactly what I meant when I mentioned about the entry point. In human biological science, we have discovered the genes that are directly responsible for aging, that's a promising lead in developing an elixir of life. Will it happen? It'll take a really long time.

Free piracy isn't redundant. IIRC (i read a lot of the posts of various threads and trawled the internet), the mention of enabling piracy for free was mentioned. Right now with GW/MT it's paid piracy.

GW/MT etc will NOT use SSSpwn to run roms, they MIGHT reverse engineer something based on ssspwn to run roms though. It's my PERSONAL OPINION that one of the many reasons for ssspwn delayed release (other than preserving it for 7.x 8.x) is that smealum is probably working hard to make it difficult to reverse engineer ssspwn

Reactions: Queno138

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, i would like to have:

-Cheats
-Gba support- Gba emu
-Dsi Support
- 7.xx keys for new games like suer smash brothers or pokemon omega ruby
-Screenshots
-Dump our eshop games like nes, gbc...

Cheats and screenshots would require hooking into the code in the game. This would mean that the system would have to be hacked so unencrypted code could be run.. Or the master encryption key to be found to encrypt the code... Yeah that'll happen! :lol:

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Cheats and screenshots would require hooking into the code in the game. This would mean that the system would have to be hacked so unencrypted code could be run.. Or the master encryption key to be found to encrypt the code... Yeah that'll happen! :lol:

for screenshots you don't need to hook the game code there is a other way. For Cheats be careful you already can get banned when you cheat.

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because piracy is available for the 3ds, I have bought 3 3ds games (4 if you count the cart that came with my used 3ds). If piracy were not available, I would have bought no games, and no 3ds.

I'm likely to buy at least one more eshop game if gateway figure out how to get me back on the eshop :)
I bought a PSP because of homebrew and CFW after I swore to never to get one. Now I've owned two PSP consoles and own around 40 real games. I really think unrestricted homebrew and kernel access sells more consoles than hurts sales. I see people on forums all the time asking "whats the best option for playing some roms on the go?" and people always say get a PSP. Good homebrew spreads word of mouth to smarter consumers who care about that stuff.

I wouldn't own my 3DS and my handful of games for it if it wasn't for the prospect of homebrew. And when I got my system...? Two of my other friends bought 3DSs and Pokemon too to play with me. They don't care about homebrew or piracy, but the excitement of one of us getting pokemon just spread like that. It's not at all a stretch of the imagination to see how homebrew helps a system.

but eventually not for the game makers who saw it just wasent worth making games for the ds or if they did the game were poor

only for nintendo as the game makers had to pay nintendo to allow them to produce games for the ds

for nintendo perhaps but we are talking about the game makers who saw a huge down turn in profits as the flashcart came into being so they abandoned the ds in droves and if the 3ds is cracked like the ds so they will do the same again. its all about profit for these companies if they dont make any profit making games for a console they wont invest in it. its just about economics at the end of the day just like any company.
You read some bad articles. When the r4 came out the decrease in software sales was unnoticeable across the globe except in the areas of Europe that were domestic releases were months late and retail games costed something ridiculous like triple their suggested price.. These also being the same countries in Europe where piracy is 'rampant' due to terrible localization issues for decades. Basically Nintendo made their own piracy problems, and even then they are way overstated and often propagated still due to some certain developer's failure to sell a game well in Europe.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a PSP because of homebrew and CFW after I swore to never to get one. Now I've owned two PSP consoles and own around 40 real games. I really think unrestricted homebrew and kernel access sells more consoles than hurts sales. I see people on forums all the time asking "whats the best option for playing some roms on the go?" and people always say get a PSP. Good homebrew spreads word of mouth to smarter consumers who care about that stuff.

I wouldn't own my 3DS and my handful of games for it if it wasn't for the prospect of homebrew. And when I got my system...? Two of my other friends bought 3DSs and Pokemon too to play with me. They don't care about homebrew or piracy, but the excitement of one of us getting pokemon just spread like that. It's not at all a stretch of the imagination to see how homebrew helps a system.

You read some bad articles. When the r4 came out the decrease in software sales was unnoticeable across the globe except in the areas of Europe that were domestic releases were months late and retail games costed something ridiculous like triple their suggested price.. These also being the same countries in Europe where piracy is 'rampant' due to terrible localization issues for decades. Basically Nintendo made their own piracy problems, and even then they are way overstated and often propagated still due to some certain developer's failure to sell a game well in Europe.

I agree. Hit the nail on the head there, Dave-o.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The underlined bit is exactly what I meant when I mentioned about the entry point. In human biological science, we have discovered the genes that are directly responsible for aging, that's a promising lead in developing an elixir of life. Will it happen? It'll take a really long time.

Free piracy isn't redundant. IIRC (i read a lot of the posts of various threads and trawled the internet), the mention of enabling piracy for free was mentioned. Right now with GW/MT it's paid piracy.

GW/MT etc will NOT use SSSpwn to run roms, they MIGHT reverse engineer something based on ssspwn to run roms though. It's my PERSONAL OPINION that one of the many reasons for ssspwn delayed release (other than preserving it for 7.x 8.x) is that smealum is probably working hard to make it difficult to reverse engineer ssspwn

Yeah, I'm not reading all of that... (Which would likely explain if part of my last post hadn't made sense. I'm really just picking and choosing sections from your paragraphs here. So, sorry in advance, rawful.)

It is redundant. Free cancels out piracy. Piracy means "getting things, which should be paid for, free". So essentially, you're saying, "Free free games" . But hey. What do I know. I'm only 24, attending Harvard.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Same can be said by in the original Xbox days, I must of converted 10-20 people from ps2 to Xbox and most of them only ran original games, I think the hacking majority hold the keys/influence to the masses I know for myself a lot of friends and family wait for my verdict to decide what console they will but and what games they will get to go with it.........let's just say the console more easily hacked is the console more likely to have plenty of reviews/recommendations by the types of people who hold the influence to others
Yeah, I'm not reading all of that... (Which would likely explain if part of my last post hadn't made sense. I'm really just picking and choosing sections from your paragraphs here. So, sorry in advance, rawful.)

It is redundant. Free cancels out piracy. Piracy means "getting things, which should be paid for, free". So essentially, you're saying, "Free free games" . But hey. What do I know. I'm only 24, attending Harvard.
You should read stuff before commenting if you don't want to come across an idiot..........don't they teach that at Harvard?

Flashcards are a perfect example of "paid" piracy free piracy denotes zero cost at all

Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same can be said by in the original Xbox days, I must of converted 10-20 people from ps2 to Xbox and most of them only ran original games, I think the hacking majority hold the keys/influence to the masses I know for myself a lot of friends and family wait for my verdict to decide what console they will but and what games they will get to go with it.........let's just say the console more easily hacked is the console more likely to have plenty of reviews/recommendations by the types of people who hold the influence to others

You should read stuff before commenting if you don't want to come across an idiot..........don't they teach that at Harvard?

Flashcards are a perfect example of "paid" piracy free piracy denotes zero cost at all

I see a paragraph. Skipping. Onword:

Mmm. Unfortunately, I haven't found such a class at Harvard. I'll get back to you though, if I find one exists though.

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What school you are attending is a red herring. Has no bearing on the argument at hand unless you study linguistics.
Also, "paid piracy" means that you paid for initial investment in order to pirate. The "paid" part refers to the initial investment and not the act of piracy itself. Thus, if you really want to nitpick, a better phrase would be "Paid method of piracy" and "Free method of piracy"..

Reactions: Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What school you are attending is a red herring. Has no bearing on the argument at hand unless you study linguistics.
Also, "paid piracy" means that you paid for initial investment in order to pirate. The "paid" part refers to the initial investment and not the act of piracy itself. Thus, if you really want to nitpick, a better phrase would be "Paid method of piracy" and "Free method of piracy"..

(Shhh. When people read that I attend, they assume I know what I'm talking about.)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

But... why on earth? The PS2 was a great console with tons of games, the Xbox had basically nothing special except Halo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But... why on earth? The PS2 was a great console with tons of games, the Xbox had basically nothing special except Halo.

I thought the same thing, but wanted to avoid being called out for calling another out for my opinion. You know. 'Cause it's the internet.

And well, Fable was mighty excellent. I loved all of my 3 consoles of that gen, but ultimately Gamecube and PS2 won.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I see a paragraph. Skipping. Onword:

Mmm. Unfortunately, I haven't found such a class at Harvard. I'll get back to you though, if I find one exists though.

I doubt you found any class I just used your special reading abilities and discovered the truth

Yeah, I'm not reading, blah blah blah I'm only 2 blah blah blah.

Well I was at school and Xbox was cool for the simple fact it had online play, there wasn't really many games with online multiplayer On the ps2, I still had a ps2 and so did many of my friends I personally loved the homebrew on the Xbox that was my favorite feature

t-master

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What exactly do they want to improve about saving? I wasn't aware there was anything that needed improving.

Well, if we're lucky, they'll fix the problem that you can't use your saves from Scene Releases with 3DZ games, if not, they'll fix that 3DZ games could overwrite the saves of Scene Releases (e.g. by renaming the 3DZ saves to .savz like MT-Card does)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: link in the description