Hacking Gateway support for Firmware 9.0 – 9.2 Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I'm not saying that using a product not licensed by Nintendo is a smart thing to do. But I am saying that there have been a LOT of products like Gateway over the years, and even though you risk bricking your system due to your own negligence, there had never been an instance like what Gateway did before, where your own negligence had nothing to do with the bricks due to BrickGate. Look, all I'm saying is I can see where the hate comes from, you were saying you don't get why Gateway gets hate, but it seems plain and clear to me why they might get hate. And as I said, even though I can understand the hate, and may not even fully trust the team myself, I'm still willing to give the product a chance when this update comes, but I'm going to be wary when I do.

As much as i detest and hate GW myself due to many reasons. The recent developments, as of this past week and today, I'm slowly leaning towards them again, as mad as it seems. Call me crazy I know, but now I think it maybe the right time to purchase a new console again, due to their recent announcement regarding 9.2 firmware support. I can put money on that this 10 game limit that SKY3ds uses will no longer be an issue, as they are still the leading flashcard producer with a larger user base to support.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as i detest and hate GW myself due to many reasons. The recent developments, as of this past week and today, I'm slowly leaning towards then again, as mad as it seems. Call me crazy I know, but now I think it maybe the right time to purchase a new console again, due to their recent announcement regarding 9.2 firmware support. I can put money on that this 10 game limit that SKY3ds uses will no longer be an issue, as they are still the leading flashcard producer with a larger user base to support.

You are one of the only people who had a legitimate reason to be salty at Gateway. Yours was one of the first and most well-documented bricks reported in the entire scene. YOU have the right to hate Gateway. Few others here can say the same.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps I should clarify. Most of the butthurt that I see regarding Gateway comes from people who don't even own a Gateway card. It's one thing if you got bricked. It's another to get fannyharmed over someone else getting bricked.

Let's just say if Nintendo ever bricked 3DS consoles because they detected software circumvention tools, or pirated software, the same people would be hating Nintendo just as hard, even if they didn't own a 3DS at all. Gateway does essentially the same thing, and they are all devils. That amuses me.

Where do we draw the line as far as what is acceptable from a company attempting to secure their intellectual property?

So... you don't find poor company practices to be something of concern? If Nintendo did that, I wouldn't trust Nintendo enough to buy a product of theirs again for a very long time even if I didn't have the product in question. No one would be hating Gateway right now if they didn't pull a stunt like they did, simple as that.

As to you question of where we draw the line as far as what's acceptable from a company in attempts to secure intellectual property, picture this: You purchase a great car, similar to one of the top models out the, but for a more affordable price. Turns out, completely unbeknownst to you, the car has some sort of smart engine that was essentially stolen from the top model, and so while you're driving on the highway one day,your car just stops and will never start again, you wont be able to get a refund on your car, and the developer of the nicer car blames you. Now, lets say a small percentage of people that actually bought the nice car also had this problem through no fault of their own. You're really saying that it's the customer's fault for this kind of thing, and they shouldn't you know maybe instead be a little pissed at the company that made the nicer car that put in that BS security feature in their smart engine?

I think in that above scenario, plenty of people would hate the company that made the nicer car even if they don't personally have that car.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To everyone saying that Gateway's recommendation to stay on 4.x if you are on that means that the "new" method means less features.
Not necessarily - I would say its more of a "better safe than sorry" or "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." kinda deal.

True, its possible that the new method differs, but why would you change if your current method works?
Similarly, their recommendation to NOT go past 9.2.0.20 is likely made in the same nature - they 'know' (or I guess claim since we haven't seen proof yet) that their new method works on that version but can't guarantee it'll work beyond that. Again, better safe than sorry.
Its entirely possible that Nintendo will fix it, its also possible that Nintendo will not. Why take a chance?

I also agree with what some posted about entitlement.
Be it with regards to the Gateway line or the SKY3DS line.
While some *claim* they only use the card for homebrew (and some may actually only use it for that), the reality is that most use these cards for less than legal purposes.
You're already getting a better deal than buying games new, and most of you have been 'profiting' off of the system for longer already.
You've already made your money back...

You may just aswell complain that Nintendo is upgrading to the New 3DS and releasing games that won't run on your 3DS/3DS XL.
Forcing you to buy new hardware. It'd be much the same as if one of these flash cards was forced to release a new version.

It seems some have gotten a bit spoiled and comfortable in their pirated luxuries.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Here's what it all comes down to - one company limits their cart to only 10 games, the other bricked several 3DS'es because users dared to buy clone cards which were cheaper and did the same thing. Pretty sure they're bough very, very naughty and only care about money, which is to be expected in this line of business. That being said, we're not judging character, this is not a popularity contest. If Gateway pulls off 9.0.x support without sacrificing any of their awesome features, then props for them - their product has just gotten a zillion times better. If that does not happen and it works the same as Sky3DS, except without a button to switch games, then... well... great that they're adapting?

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
You are one of the only people who had a legitimate reason to be salty at Gateway. Yours was one of the first and most well-documented bricks reported in the entire scene. YOU have the right to hate Gateway. Few others here can say the same.

Yeah, I know. It's coming up to a year already (Jan 2015) it will be and has the time gone quick.

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

gtaking112

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I'll be damed.....they found a kernel exploit...very...impressive...I hope that they still only require the card to be inserted to boot into EmuNAND so I can put multiple copies of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on my multiple 3DS's with one GW. This is the most exciting month in the 3DS hacking scene ever :lol:

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the company disclosed that if you used unauthorized or unlicensed software or hardware, it could potentially cause serious negative repercussions, then it is purely and solely the responsibility of the consumer who makes a conscious decision to use their device or purchase in a way other than that which was originally intended by the manufacturer.

We knew what the risks were the first time any of us decided to mod our consoles. We accepted the risk that came along with the exploits that have been made available.

I guess no one else sees the irony of expecting honor and virtue and ethical behavior from any company whose entire existence is based on intellectual property theft.

That would be like getting mad at the kid selling bootleg DVDs of movies that are still in theaters after your DVD player bricks.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We're not sure of the nature of this tech, gtaking112. For all we know, they might just be emulating a cartridge, which means no enhanced features whatsoever.

If it is a kernel-level exploit though, I can't help but wonder what that means for ssspwn. For all intents and purposes, that'll give everyone an option to use homebrew on 9.0.x, rendering smealum's work... obsolete, really.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there any reason why this would not work on anything between 4.6 through 8.0 firmware? It has to be either 4.5 or 9.0/9.2? Just curious since sky 3ds also has it so it only works on 9.0 firmware on up.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
We're not sure of the nature of this tech, gtaking112. For all we know, they might just be emulating a cartridge, which means no enhanced features whatsoever.

If it is a kernel-level exploit though, I can't help but wonder what that means for ssspwn. For all intents and purposes, that'll give everyone an option to use homebrew on 9.0.x, rendering smealum's work... obsolete, really.
Well, not necessarily obsolete.

I'd say it that it would just offer another alternative route.
Alternatives are good.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let's just say if Nintendo ever bricked 3DS consoles because they detected software circumvention tools, or pirated software, the same people would be hating Nintendo just as hard, even if they didn't own a 3DS at all. Gateway does essentially the same thing, and they are all devils. That amuses me.

No, they wouldn't.

Nintendo have already bricked consoles. They intentionally fucked up region changed Korean wiis with 4.2 and gave you a nice 003 unauthorised device detected.

But as it's Nintendo, they got a free pass.

Everyone complaining not to support Gateway because of the bricks, should not even have a 3ds as Nintendo has done the same thing in the past. But Nintendo, so they get a free pass for it.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Something else to note.
With everyone saying they found the same method that SKY3DS is using.

While again this is possible - I would say they have found / are using a different method.
SKY3DS cards are functional on *ALL* versions.
Gateway specifically mentions 9.0~9.2 and while that doesn't "prove" anything per se, I think that they would not have been so specific if their new version also worked on v5~v8 devices.

We'll just have to see when they update though.

LeSnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's what it all comes down to - one company limits their cart to only 10 games, the other bricked several 3DS'es because users dared to buy clone cards which were cheaper and did the same thing. Pretty sure they're bough very, very naughty and only care about money, which is to be expected in this line of business. That being said, we're not judging character, this is not a popularity contest. If Gateway pulls off 9.0.x support without sacrificing any of their awesome features, then props for them - their product has just gotten a zillion times better. If that does not happen and it works the same as Sky3DS, except without a button to switch games, then... well... great that they're adapting?

Although one of them has shown excellent support while we still don't know about the other.
The other also started a bit rough, introducing the card with DRM stuff from the start. I guess we still don't know if it's because of limitations they faced, so they should get the benefit of doubt.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I saw MT-Card or Sky3DS or any of the other imitators coming out with a brand-new exclusive feature, say, GBA support, or DSiWare support, THAT would be about the only thing that could redeem them as not being knock-offs of the original.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Although one of them has shown excellent support while we still don't know about the other.
The other also started a bit rough, introducing the card with DRM stuff from the start. I guess we still don't know if it's because of limitations they faced, so they should get the benefit of doubt.
From what I've read Gateway has had its rough spots as well in the past.

It sounds like the argument people have when a new MMO hits the market.
"GAME X will be the next WoW killer!"
Game releases and people migrate to the new game.
Shortly after they run out of content as they blaze through all of it.
"GAME X doesn't have enough content! I'm going back to WoW!"

Forgetting all about why they left in the first place aswell as forgetting the time and effort it took blizzard to get to the point where they are today.
Sorry to say, but you can't "fake" years of reputation and effort. So obviously any new upstart will have to prove itself first.
And proving yourself rarely is a smooth process, mistakes are made and obstacles are to be overcome.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I saw MT-Card or Sky3DS or any of the other imitators coming out with a brand-new exclusive feature, say, GBA support, or DSiWare support, THAT would be about the only thing that could redeem them as not being knock-offs of the original.
dsiware support would be possible? Don't think even ds flashcarts have dsiware support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My gaming stick can finally get use
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff