Reactions: Quantumcat

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
This is why gateway is just a sucky company... Like 85%(maybe even more) of their work is more than likely someone elses :/ And people that back them up for taking that work and then saying they are better for it are just plain stupid.
The reason it takes the Gateway team so long to add support for new features, is because they have to wait for someone here to make X feature open source, then add obfuscation and bricking code to X feature.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason it takes the Gateway team so long to add support for new features, is because they have to wait for someone here to make X feature open source, then add obfuscation and bricking code to X feature.
Exactly. This is why i rarely use my gateway card. Id rather avoid getting randomly bricked some how. I mat not even use the a9lh gateway release (If it ever happens) because then they will just have more of a chance to brick your console fully. This is why i need a hardmod for the just in case moments. And this is also why i backup my updated sysnand and emunand(not so much) periodically.

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is why gateway is just a sucky company... Like 85%(maybe even more) of their work is more than likely someone elses :/ And people that back them up for taking that work and then saying they are better for it are just plain stupid.
Now I know maybe (not even for sure) that they have stolen some code but to say 75% of their code is stolen is so stupid. Especially when they were the first ones around before cfw and literally all cfws exist only because people were able to reverse engineer gateways work. So it's actually easier to say that 75% of cfws are rewritten from gateway code and everything else is their own work.

Gateway would be 75% their own work and the rest maybe stolen. Tho they did credit smea when adding homebrews support. Gateway literally invented emunand on the 3ds they were the first to do it and literally created the scene smea yellows8 and gateway equally. Everything that came after was only because these three paved the way. And also everyone has to stop with the gateway bricked their own cards. I think there was only 1 or 2 proven cases of this everyone else were clone cards. I used gateway non stop during the whole "brick" fiasco and I never even came close to bricking.

Yes cfw is superior but if gateway released their arm9loaderhax payload with support for EVERYTHING cfw can do plus .3ds support then yes they will be once again be the best option around "stolen code" or not. For the end user (WHO ALREADY OWN THE CARD) it will be useful to use gateway over cfw again.

Edit: well I see I'm wasting my time trying to talk sense when this just turned into a gateway shitfest with a bunch of people who don't know a thing about gateway..carry on then

Last edited by 4gionz,

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I know maybe (not even for sure) that they have stolen some code but to say 75% of their code is stolen is so stupid. Especially when they were the first ones around before cfw and literally all cfws exist only because people were able to reverse engineer gateways work. So it's actually easier to say that 75% of cfws are rewritten from gateway code and everything else is their own work.

Gateway would be 75% their own work and the rest maybe stolen. Tho they did credit smea when adding homebrews support. Gateway literally invented emunand on the 3ds they were the first to do it and literally created the scene smea yellows8 and gateway equally. Everything that came after was only because these three paved the way. And also everyone has to stop with the gateway bricked their own cards. I think there was only 1 or 2 proven cases of this everyone else were clone cards. I used gateway non stop during the whole "brick" fiasco and I never even came close to bricking.

Yes cfw is superior but if gateway released their arm9loaderhax payload with support for EVERYTHING cfw can do plus .3ds support then yes they will be once again be the best option around "stolen code" or not. For the end user (WHO ALREADY OWN THE CARD) it will be useful to use gateway over cfw again.
Im not including their original work bud.. Im saying anything they have added recently is just from others :/ Maybe i should try to rephrase what i say in the future.

Reactions: Serphirot

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im not including their original work bud.. Im saying anything they have added recently is just from others :/ Maybe i should try to rephrase what i say in the future.
Oh well ya makes sense they are no longer "innovators" that's for sure they just add feature that other cfw have. But if other devs could just figure out how to get .3ds loading (i know it's really hard and complicated and not worth it) then they could actually make gateway obsolete, until then some people will always want one and will beg gateway to implement these features to stay relevant

Edit: tho they did add the cheat menu that another "innovation" still unmatched in the cfw world (and no ntrs terrible solution basically doesn't count)

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway is perfect for me. I just want to play games fast and easy. I spent the money on release and have no regrets at all - since today.

I wonder if I'm the only one?
I'm of the mindset that the different types of mods available should be complementary instead of just trying to supplant one another. For me, it's never been about "GW vs CFW", but "GW + CFW" when it comes to my primary 3DS.

I'm still rocking my GW Red card in my N3DSXL, with my DSTwo on standby for any DS urges. I also have Luma3DS installed, primarily because GW's A9LH payload hasn't come out yet. Once it does, I'll still keep Luma3DS around for playing DSiWare, unless GW finally adds DSiWare support. Since Luma3DS contains the whitelist patches, my GW Blue card has pretty much found a permanent home in my O3DSXL to solidify its Player 2 status.

With 64 GB in the GW, 64 GB in the 3DS, and 32GB in the DSTwo, I've found a happy medium that allows me to make the most of the mods I have available. I use GW to play games that I either want to try out or will only play through a single time. Luma3DS is installed for all my of my DS-related needs, DSiWare or flashcart. Any 3DS games that will be played frequently get the CIA treatment, so that they're available in both GW and Luma3DS.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Gateway is perfect for me. I just want to play games fast and easy. I spent the money on release and have no regrets at all - since today.

I wonder if I'm the only one?
Nah you are not alone. Got it really early as well. Sure, there are free options now but I've got my money's worth considering how long I've used it for. My second one's A9LH-ed up though. Well, got the best of both worlds :P

@4gionz Exactly. What really annoys me is how some people feel the need to circlejerk. And this goes both ways. I swear it will kill them to be objective. Rarely does anyone recognise GW's role in the scene's development. But one mention of bricking and all the SJWs come flying in, with barely any of them attributing any blame whatsoever on the clones. Hope these same people will have my back when I perform a laparotomy in my neighbourhood after watching my doctors do them. I mean, it's not my fault since I didn't know it would be dangerous. It's not my patients' fault either for wanting to save on hefty fees. Clearly my doctor is to blame. On the other hand, we have some people who make other GW users look bad by going full retard and spouting nonsense. It's one thing to state that GW does what you need it to do. It's a different story when you try to shit on other options to make your point. Even in this thread, there was someone who did just that and it made me facepalm so hard. And the goddamned meme-ing culture doesn't help one bit. Like I have said a while back, while I don't expect people to post a 500000 word thesis, I'd rather us not become yet another 4chan/reddit/Twitch chat/ Youtube comment section.

d12unk13astard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it when it first came out, no need to get it these days since cfw is free and cia installation is smaller sized even if you gotta wait ( hint just batch install and do something else for awhile) I just use my gateway card for eshop games now and have all the 3ds games as thumbnails.. easier to navigate.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah you are not alone. Got it really early as well. Sure, there are free options now but I've got my money's worth considering how long I've used it for. My second one's A9LH-ed up though. Well, got the best of both worlds :P

@4gionz Exactly. What really annoys me is how some people feel the need to circlejerk. And this goes both ways. I swear it will kill them to be objective. Rarely does anyone recognise GW's role in the scene's development. But one mention of bricking and all the SJWs come flying in, with barely any of them attributing any blame whatsoever on the clones. Hope these same people will have my back when I perform a laparotomy in my neighbourhood after watching my doctors do them. I mean, it's not my fault since I didn't know it would be dangerous. It's not my patients' fault either for wanting to save on hefty fees. Clearly my doctor is to blame. On the other hand, we have some people who make other GW users look bad by going full retard and spouting nonsense. It's one thing to state that GW does what you need it to do. It's a different story when you try to shit on other options to make your point. Even in this thread, there was someone who did just that and it made me facepalm so hard. And the goddamned meme-ing culture doesn't help one bit. Like I have said a while back, while I don't expect people to post a 500000 word thesis, I'd rather us not become yet another 4chan/reddit/Twitch chat/ Youtube comment section.
500k words? Nah... But I will contribute something about the current state of the 3DS modding community.

I think that a lot this has to do with a generational gap in the makeup of the GBATemp 3ds modding community. When I say "generational," I'm referring to when they entered the community and not their actual age. As I see it, there are pretty much three generations in the 3DS scene.

The first generation is the MSET generation. These are the members who can vividly remember the day when we saw the words "WE HACKED IT!" Those who are of this generation are likely to be GW Users or one of the unfortunate souls who bought a clone card only to get bricked or lose support. When 6.x save encryption came about, they learned that maintaining a modded 3DS meant that certain complications would arise (and workaround steps to be completed) when it came to preventing save data loss when GW support of SysNAND >4.X finally came around. Content with what has been working for them for years, most of them only come out of hiding sporadically to check out the latest GW news before leaving the boards for another few months. Since it's been a few months since the last GW update, we're starting to see some of these members pop back up again looking for answers. This is what's led to a growing contention between the members of this generation who remain regularly active in the community and the third generation of 3DS modders. I'll go more into this later.

The second generation of 3DS modders are the *hax/Sky3DS generation. The reason I included Sky3DS in this category is because of how instrumental it was in the proliferation of Ninjhax/OoTHax, as both hacks were initially limited in potential user base to however many units of those games remain in the world. Users of this generation are the first ones to have free CFWs with little to no cost. The only cost that those users paid was for the exploitable games, a cost that was later mitigated by BrowserHax/MenuHax. To this generation, the use of a flashcart was seen as more of a luxury than a necessity. Sky3DS may have failed as a legitimate flashcart contender by not adjusting their price to match the times, but has become a useful modding tool for those who come into contact with unmodified consoles of various regions.

Last, but not least, are the A9LH generation of 3DS modders. They are the most recent generation to the 3DS scene and have become a bit of a nuisance in the process. The extent of knowledge about other hacks that most of these modders have is the brief amount of time spent using the *hax family as part of Plailect's OTP Guide. To them, flashcarts like the GW and Sky3DS are seen as archaic and obsolete. Whenever a GW User pops out of hiding for their sporadic check of the 3DS scene, the A9LH generation tends to simply engage in copypasta of the OTP Guide link and doesn't take the GW User's specific setup into consideration because of a lack of knowledge regarding that period of 3DS modding history. This, combined with a rampant superiority complex, has fostered a situation where these interactions can invite complications to the A9LH installation.

A big issue that this lack of knowledge can cause, which many people tend to overlook, is save data loss when coming from a 4.x SysNAND setup. Because of the way GW EmuNAND works, 3DS games use the save encryption of the SysNAND regardless of what FW the EmuNAND has. When a GW User with this particular setup decides to take the plunge into using newer hacks, they will have to go through an arduous task of decrypting and encrypting each GW save on a game-by-game basis in order to maintain save data integrity.

I know this is going to sound like hippie nonsense, but it's simply my humble opinion. If we're going to see the 3DS scene continue to thrive in the endgame stages of the 3DS lifecycle, then we need to see a behavioral shift in the way the different generations interact with each other.

A9LH users need to recognize that A9LH doesn't invalidate every other hack that came before it. Without those prior hacks, we would have never been able to get to A9LH in the first place. If you're going to suggest a user change from one hack to A9LH, make sure that you have a working knowledge of the hack they are currently using. Without it, you may end up doing the user more harm than good.

Users from the other two generations need not feel pressured into having to update to A9LH, if they don't want to. The old hacks still work just fine. That said, those who do want to upgade should do their own research and not simply blindly follow the advice of someone who doesn't know about your particular setup. This is especially true the further removed your generation of hack is from the current generation. There are usually more chances for complications going from one mod to another than going from stock to modded. Be well-informed and only install the mods you feel comfortable using.

Last edited by zhdarkstar,

Xellos2099

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I am in between. Originally I got o3ds xl and N3ds xl and both of them can use gateway no issue. However I noticed when I play some fast game like curtain call finalfantasy or game with video like dual destony, the game in my gateway would skip a bit. So i decided to hack my o3ds into a9lh since i only got 1 gateway anyway and it work perfect and i can run gba game as cia. In fact it work so well i am considering sell my gateway cart and a9lh my n3ds xl as well so I can run snes cia files.

Don;t get me wrong i like the gateway, it was one of the first cart but also have to admit it got limitation.

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However I noticed when I play some fast game like curtain call finalfantasy or game with video like dual destony, the game in my gateway would skip a bit.
Then you had an issue somewhere, games run 1:1 on GW versus real cart. Maybe a fake/slow mSD.

ZoNtendo

Trophies
XP
Country
What is the formula for "very near" ?
1462209387-sans-titre.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ