Hacking Gateway payback?

hiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Cigarettes. If used as advertised, will kill you.

Well yea everyone knows smoking can kill you. But no one who buys a flashcard expects it to brick your consoles.

Also in Europe in the advertisment theres always a warning saying something like "causes health hazard blabla"

I dont see GW advertise with "it will brick your console".

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But your not using the console for it's intended purposes.....2 wrongs don't make a right

The console is indended to play games. Once you buy something it's yours and you are free to do what you want with it. There is no "wrong" in playing backups.

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your credit card company is a good one, and you are a good customer to them, and you are angry enough (it sounds like you would be) then i guess you will get somewhere because you will probably harass them until they do something, they most probably don't HAVE to, but it is their discretion.

but, as you can see, most of us agree that they shouldn't, as the gateway is not defective. you paid for the gateway.
maybe you can go to court and argue about what it is advertised to do etc, but, since the brick is caused my a BETA loader (right?) i really don't think you will have much chance there.

If Sony released a BETA software update and it bricked the hardware. Would you expect sony to fix it?

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh even if I got bricked I think it's nobody's fault but their own.......it would be a bummer but the act of using any third party code was already highlighted by Nintendo to possible lead to a damaged console....wether the code was intentional or not, you still chose to run it....you should be atleast 50% responsible if not more for not following nintendo's warning XD

Yeah and I would want my money back.

Ankoku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Starting to doubt OP's reading and comprehension skills.
THE ONLY FLASH CARD FOR 3DS!
GW advertises itself as a product, not a service.
Gateway 3DS has not warning and it is not an implied risk.
It's already a risk if you've taken the poor man's road of pirating, especially this early in the flashcart scene, and by buying it, you're already taking the risk of potential damage.
EDIT: Requesting lock, only clutters up the forum.

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
In this case the Gateway 3DS is advertised to play backup ROMs.

THE ONLY FLASH CARD FOR 3DS!

Play backup 3DS ROMS with GATEWAY 3DS

That is the intended use of the device. It is not a service that is being paid for. If you buy a car, you are not buying a service that transports you from point a to point b. That is the intended use of the car. Please get your terms in order. You are just going to make yourself look uneducated if you insist that Gateway is selling you a service that allows you to play Roms.

A computer can be advertised as allowing you to play World of Warcraft. And if you subscribe to World of Warcraft, you can use it to play World of Warcraft. It does not mean that the manufacturer who sold you that computer is obligated to give you a service which gives you free access to World of Warcraft for free including a lifetime free internet connection and access to an account on the World of Warcraft servers. You bought a product, not a service.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If Sony released a BETA software update and it bricked the hardware. Would you expect sony to fix it?
yeah but this is not sony, a huge multinational company, with PR and so many other things, even then they still do bad things like remove other os etc etc...
this is a flashcard company, you would need to go through international law if you wanted to get somewhere.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i'm imagining the op buying bread, and getting a refund because it didn't fill him up.
he bought a service, to fill himself up and to experience the taste of bread, but not a product.

Reactions: Saturosias

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this case the Gateway 3DS is advertised to play backup ROMs.
That is not a SERVICE, it is a PRODUCT and its FUNCTION.

You using files from the INTERNET have rendered your CONSOLE unable to function, the PRODUCT itself functions fine and did NOT result in the brick, the flash cartridge used is literally IRRELEVANT to bricking, it's about the ILLEGAL launcher you DOWNLOADED.

Are you just going to keep copypasting that entitled quasi-philosophical BS that it's a service? That "claim" has no ground whatsoever.

Reactions: cearp

hiron

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah but this is not sony, a huge multinational company, with PR and so many other things, even then they still do bad things like remove other os etc etc...
this is a flashcard company, you would need to go through international law if you wanted to get somewhere.

So you do agree that GW is broken with the brickcode. Nice thats all. But I also agree you shouldnt even try for a cashback. Flashcards are shady as hell so it wont work.

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is not a SERVICE, it is a PRODUCT and its FUNCTION.

You using files from the INTERNET have rendered your CONSOLE unable to function, the PRODUCT itself functions fine and did NOT result in the brick, the flash cartridge used is literally IRRELEVANT to bricking, it's about the ILLEGAL launcher you DOWNLOADED.

Are you just going to keep copypasting that entitled quasi-philosophical BS that it's a service? That "claim" has no ground whatsoever.

I am just saying if I bought a Gateway 3DS and it bricked my console. I would ask for my money back.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i would hate to be serving this guy in a coffee shop when he doesn't like his coffee, i mean sure, some people think they are entitled to get a refund because they remember that they don't actually like hazelnut latte or whatever, but i mean... sometimes you just need to suck it up and accept it :)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
So you do agree that GW is broken with the brickcode. Nice thats all. But I also agree you shouldnt even try for a cashback. Flashcards are shady as hell so it wont work.
no i don't? i agree it was bad of gateway to include brick code but i don't agree that the product is 'defective'...

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am just saying if I bought a Gateway 3DS and it bricked my console. I would ask for my money back.
The Gateway does not brick your console. The cartridge isn't even accessed as part of the bricking sequence, it's about the code LAUNCHER.DAT inserts into memory. "I am just saying" you would not get your money back, period.

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would hate to be serving this guy in a coffee shop when he doesn't like his coffee, i mean sure, some people think they are entitled to get a refund because they remember that they don't actually like hazelnut latte or whatever, but i mean... sometimes you just need to suck it up and accept it :)

If the coffee killed me I would be upset.

Reactions: Saxer and cearp

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Not trying to sound pretentious here, but
History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.
Karl Marx
Brick threads are a tragedy, this thread is a farce.
Gateway hurt unrelated customers, OP is suggesting to hurt unrelated resellers.

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gateway did not brick your console. The cartridge isn't even accessed as part of the bricking sequence, it's about the code LAUNCHER.DAT inserts into memory. "I am just saying" you would not get your money back, period.

The laucher is provided by Gateway. I would get my money back..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Back