Hacking Gateway payback?

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are one of the people that bricked your 3DS with a Gateway 3DS.

Return the Gateway 3DS to the reseller as a defective product.

If enough people return there Gateway 3DS. The Gateway team would be forced to release a free fix or resellers would refuse to keep selling there product.

-I edited because my OP was not clear. The point I was trying to make is if you push pressure on the resellers. The resellers would force Gateway would be to release a free fix or stop selling there product. Resellers would not want to sell a product that bricks there customers console.

To me if a product bricks my console.... I would consider that defective and I would never want to use that product again. Even if I was offered a "FIX" for my console. I would accept the fix and return the defective product.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
1) Return the Flash. If the the reseller refusing to give your money back.

2) Contest the charges. If you payed with a credit card. You should call the credit card company and contest the charges. (this is legal). Most credit card companies will let you contest charges that were made in the past 90 days. You can tell the credit card company that you did not receive the product you were promised.
1. but most places i guess you can't just return the product, if it is not faulty.

and 2. you DID receive the product. if you are mean you were not promised it would come with bricking code, and you are contesting that... then lol good luck.
you don't buy the gateway with any of the loader files anyway right? you have to download them off their site.

you could get their address to return bricked consoles to, and send them hate mail or something, ha

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. but most places i guess you can't just return the product, if it is not faulty.

and 2. you DID receive the product. if you are mean you were not promised it would come with bricking code, and you are contesting that... then lol good luck.
you don't buy the gateway with any of the loader files anyway right? you have to download them off their site.

you could get their address to return bricked consoles to, and send them hate mail or something, ha

If you buy a defective product you have every right to return it.

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is quite possibly the worst idea I've read yet. This punishes the reseller, as Kane pointed out. You think this reseller is gonna get *their* money back from Gateway? lol

Reactions: osirisjem and cearp

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you buy a defective product and you can't return it. You have every right to contest the charges.

The credit card company will notice the product you bought with their card is of dubious legality and dismiss your claim immediately. Next!

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If you buy a defective product and you can't return it. You have every right to contest the charges.

There is no "luck" to it. The credit card company will open an investigation and imminently take back the money. The credit card company will then contact the vendor. The reseller will have to prove you received a functional product. Resellers won't want to deal with the credit card companies. This would reflect poorly Gateway.

sure but the product is not defective, well i mean, i guess it is arguable, but i think you would lose.
like if i buy a computer and i install firefox on it and it does not run properly. i did not buy firefox, i bought the computer.
here, isn't the gateway loader the same as firefox? you didn't buy the loader, you bought the card...

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure but the product is not defective, well i mean, i guess it is arguable, but i think you would lose.
like if i buy a computer and i install firefox on it and it does not run properly. i did not buy firefox, i bought the computer.
here, isn't the gateway loader the same as firefox? you didn't buy the loader, you bought the card...

No, the gateway loader is like an OSX on a macbook. If it is not working that is a defective product. You buy a macbook with the expectation to run OSX.

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You think the reseller is not going to take there money back from Gateway and stop doing business with them?

do you imagine some supernatural power of resellers to "take money back" from some company, probably based in China?

the most they could do is stop stocking any more Gateways. But they'll surely also stop stocking other flashcards, due to _actual_ bricks. So your strategy, even if it were effective, would cripple the flashcard industry completely.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
No, the gateway loader is like a BIOS on a computer. If it is not working that is a defective product.
yeah well as i said, good luck with it.
luck because, the credit card company probably doesn't have a rule in their book or whatever, for exactly what to do in this situation, it will probably be at their discretion.
i don't mean luck as in rolling a dice lol

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah well as i said, good luck with it.
luck because, the credit card company probably doesn't have a rule in their book or whatever, for exactly what to do in this situation, it will probably be at their discretion.
i don't mean luck as in rolling a dice lol

I have returned defective products.

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you imagine some supernatural power of resellers to "take money back" from some company, probably based in China?

the most they could do is stop stocking any more Gateways. But they'll surely also stop stocking other flashcards, due to _actual_ bricks. So your strategy, even if it were effective, would cripple the flashcard industry completely.

No, a new better method would be found and a new flashcart would be released.

Senbei Norimaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since there aren't too many 4.5 3DS around I'm sure Gateway will probably just close up shop instead of making a new flash cart. That would mean no more software updates from Gateway.

Chiodo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is quite possibly the worst idea I've read yet. This punishes the reseller, as Kane pointed out. You think this reseller is gonna get *their* money back from Gateway? lol

Yes, I am sure the resellers have a similar course of active to get there money back.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the gateway loader is like a BIOS on a computer. If it is not working that is a defective product.

No, the computer ships with a BIOS, and then you managed the OS independently. It's the same thing here, the Gateway has the bootstrapper that it uses to manage Launcher.dat, treating the Launcher.DAT more like the OS instead of a BIOS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*