Hacking Gateway 9.9 Speculation Thread

Do you think Gateway will come out with a 9.9 exploit?

• Yes, they have had it all along and are waiting for it to be patched.

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Yes, they will find out how.

Votes: 52 21.8%
  • Maybe eventually.

Votes: 75 31.4%
  • No way. (why not?)

Votes: 19 7.9%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • None of the above, they will drop the 3DS scene due to CFW

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Yellow8 said he found the oot hack a long time ago. Oot was first supported and then cn. I think gw knew about it (since I think yellow8 works with gw) and it wasn't until ninjahax was public and patched did it burn the oot bridge and then shut down n3ds support did they release it.

I think we are going to have to wait for another public bridge burning before we see the next level of support.

That being said I think they have something up their sleeve and it's just a waiting game

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ninjhax, Ironhax, Tubehax .... all of that ALONE is worth nothing for Gateway.
Gateway through Cubic Ninja was only possible because there was a ARM9 exploit (I believe that's whats necessary?) to take full control of the 3DS ... just like the CFWs are doing it.
This exploit was patched with FW 9.3+.

So speculating that GW can use IronHax and/or Tubehax is worthless w/o an exploit to do more on this system. And these chances are currently looking bad, since yellows8 already said that the 3DS is currently pretty air tight when it comes to these ARM9 exploits.

If you ask me ... Gateway will probably never support 9.9+ in terms of sysNAND. IF they happen to have an exploit for such a high FW (I repeat IF!), they will probably only use it to keep emuNAND for N3DS users up to date so big N can't patch it.
This here is why this new ninjhax will not do crap for Gateway. There's no way Gateway needed ninjhax 1 to be released just to do their exploit, kernel exploits take a long time to find and a long time to develop into a usable product. They would have had to know about gspwn well in advance in order to develop or even find the arm11 exploit used. The arm9 exploit was probably less difficult for them to find though. Most people now only want Gateway to develop a >9.2 exploit so that it can be stolen and used for CFWs, and this also is exactly why I'm personally predicting that Gateway will either drop out of the 3DS game or they will continue using and working with firmlaunch hax. Why would they spend the time and money looking for a new exploit only to have it be stolen with little profits going towards them?

And also, with the whole "ninjhax led to 9.2 exploits" thing again, causation is not necessarily correlation. This isn't the Wii where a new entry = complete access, entrypoints and kernel exploits are completely separate things. Having new entrypoints doesn't do crap towards Gateway finding new exploits, OoT has been a viable way to explore kernel exploits for them for the last several years probably. It always will be viable. And like stated above, the only reason to even look for a new exploit is purely to get N3DS emunand back to the latest version. Getting a 9.2 or below o3DS is super easy, N3DS less so but it's possible. People searched for 4.5 o3DSs for the longest time and GW still turned a profit, the same story is present here, except there's CFWs now which most people will go for instead of GW. So basically any chances of having 9.9+ support have already been burned by all the piracy CFWs which were released.

Reactions: Psi-hate and AmeenX

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This here is why this new ninjhax will not do crap for Gateway. There's no way Gateway needed ninjhax 1 to be released just to do their exploit, kernel exploits take a long time to find and a long time to develop into a usable product. They would have had to know about gspwn well in advance in order to develop or even find the arm11 exploit used. The arm9 exploit was probably less difficult for them to find though. Most people now only want Gateway to develop a >9.2 exploit so that it can be stolen and used for CFWs, and this also is exactly why I'm personally predicting that Gateway will either drop out of the 3DS game or they will continue using and working with firmlaunch hax. Why would they spend the time and money looking for a new exploit only to have it be stolen with little profits going towards them?

And also, with the whole "ninjhax led to 9.2 exploits" thing again, causation is not necessarily correlation. This isn't the Wii where a new entry = complete access, entrypoints and kernel exploits are completely separate things. Having new entrypoints doesn't do crap towards Gateway finding new exploits, OoT has been a viable way to explore kernel exploits for them for the last several years probably. It always will be viable. And like stated above, the only reason to even look for a new exploit is purely to get N3DS emunand back to the latest version. Getting a 9.2 or below o3DS is super easy, N3DS less so but it's possible. People searched for 4.5 o3DSs for the longest time and GW still turned a profit, the same story is present here, except there's CFWs now which most people will go for instead of GW. So basically any chances of having 9.9+ support have already been burned by all the piracy CFWs which were released.
This is a good point and I will add Gateway dropping the 3DS scene as an option as well although I personally hope it never comes to that.

9.3+ support is mostly important to people who already own a 3DS on a firmware above 9.2, which, let's be honest, is most of the market. Pretty much everyone below that is already using Gateway or some kind of CFW but the vast majority are still legit with only a small percentage using Sky, and every time they update the Gateway to support newer firmware they gain more customers. New 9.2 or below owners are probably going to go with CFW at this point but if they release support for newer firmwares it will take a long time for any CFW to do the same, gaining them back some of the market share thanks to users that are already above 9.2.

To quote myself (and most pervs) "A holes, a hole."
There was one hole found, there's bound to be more. For now, let's enjoy the hole we have.
:creep:

Cavioe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a good point and I will add Gateway dropping the 3DS scene as an option as well although I personally hope it never comes to that.

9.3+ support is mostly important to people who already own a 3DS on a firmware above 9.2, which, let's be honest, is most of the market. Pretty much everyone below that is already using Gateway or some kind of CFW but the vast majority are still legit with only a small percentage using Sky, and every time they update the Gateway to support newer firmware they gain more customers. New 9.2 or below owners are probably going to go with CFW at this point but if they release support for newer firmwares it will take a long time for any CFW to do the same, gaining them back some of the market share thanks to users that are already above 9.2.

:creep:

It is true that most of the systems are updated. But something you may find surprising is that even those who know about hacking, don't do it to their own systems. They rather buy the physical games. And this is very understandable as they want to have the complete set of the case and manual with the game. And in my experience talking to others most will follow that path.

And I don't think that most of the systems below 9.2 are using gateway/cfw. You have to consider that for parents like myself who give it to kids I never updated any of the gaming systems before I learned of hacking. And when I finally learned to hack, I do offer to do it for friends, family and people I know for free and you will be surprised that many of the 3ds consoles I have seen were below 9.2 with half on very low firmware. But when you gauge it only on forums it is specifically for hacking and so you might think most hack.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It is true that most of the systems are updated. But something you may find surprising is that even those who know about hacking, don't do it to their own systems. They rather buy the physical games. And this is very understandable as they want to have the complete set of the case and manual with the game. And in my experience talking to others most will follow that path.

And I don't think that most of the systems below 9.2 are using gateway/cfw. You have to consider that for parents like myself who give it to kids I never updated any of the gaming systems before I learned of hacking. And when I finally learned to hack, I do offer to do it for friends, family and people I know for free and you will be surprised that many of the 3ds consoles I have seen were below 9.2 with half on very low firmware. But when you gauge it only on forums it is specifically for hacking and so you might think most hack.
They don't even include manuals with most 3DS games though. Those who know about hacking but prefer to stay legit update their systems, those who actually care about hacking their 3DS stay below, unless they are unaware that CFW etc. won't work on newer firmwares, like many of the people on this forum. I don't think those who buy games do it just because they prefer physical games, they do it because they prefer supporting a company over pirating. Which is completely understandable of course. I've bought a lot of 3DS games and I think I've supported the companies enough by now (hell I have about 15 of them and all were bought new when they were still easily available, I have a few of the "rare" 3DS games only because I bought them when they were easily available), so for me I have no issue with pirating 3DS games.

Sure there might be a small percentage below 9.2 who aren't using any sort of hack but those are in the minority as new games require updates and inevitably, if they have any reasonably new game they will have updated past 9.2. If not yet, then surely after Christmas they will have updated past 9.2 due to all the kids asking for the newest games for Christmas.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I kinda miss the days where one way or the other, either you had to pay for a good piracy, or you got a half-assed crap.

Just gateway, clones, and palantine cfw.

...I miss them because back then my 3ds was 4.4.0, and since i never really understood what emunand was or what the cfw did, and everything seemed so complex, i went ahead and updated my 3ds to 9.4.0, now i'm KINDA regretting that a bit... /facepalm

Maybe we could start kissing gateway team's collective asses xD?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I kinda miss the days where one way or the other, either you had to pay for a good piracy, or you got a half-assed crap.

Just gateway, clones, and palantine cfw.

...I miss them because back then my 3ds was 4.4.0, and since i never really understood what emunand was or what the cfw did, and everything seemed so complex, i went ahead and updated my 3ds to 9.4.0, now i'm KINDA regretting that a bit... /facepalm

Maybe we could start kissing gateway team's collective asses xD?
Never made a NAND backup? :P
Well, I guess there wasn't much incentive to back then.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
honestly unless gateway already had a 9.3+ exploit i doubt they will be doing anything more for the 3DS scene after having all their stuff ripped off for cfw's, and not to be harsh, but i doubt any of the current CFW public dev's have the resources/means for finding full blown exploits by themselves, i mean it took someone making a anon pastebin for them to even figure out the sig patch stuff, and someone decompiling rxtools to figure out emunand, there are a few people who probably have a slim chance if nintendo goofed up, but in terms of raw brute force (not like brute forcing the keys, but being able to fund more extensive research etc) in finding an exploit the money men are probably out of the game

at this point in the 3DS's life span i doubt they would see enough room for profit to justify putting any major work into it, especially if the work they do just gets copied, although even if they do some of the more elite anti piracy dev's who did the groundwork documenting GW's exploits previously probably wouldn't be handing it to cfw dev's on a plate this time around

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Cavioe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't even include manuals with most 3DS games though. Those who know about hacking but prefer to stay legit update their systems, those who actually care about hacking their 3DS stay below, unless they are unaware that CFW etc. won't work on newer firmwares, like many of the people on this forum. I don't think those who buy games do it just because they prefer physical games, they do it because they prefer supporting a company over pirating. Which is completely understandable of course. I've bought a lot of 3DS games and I think I've supported the companies enough by now (hell I have about 15 of them and all were bought new when they were still easily available, I have a few of the "rare" 3DS games only because I bought them when they were easily available), so for me I have no issue with pirating 3DS games.

Sure there might be a small percentage below 9.2 who aren't using any sort of hack but those are in the minority as new games require updates and inevitably, if they have any reasonably new game they will have updated past 9.2. If not yet, then surely after Christmas they will have updated past 9.2 due to all the kids asking for the newest games for Christmas.

I wouldn't call it a small percentage as you can just look on ebay, craigslist, other selling venues and you see them alot. You can tell with just the pictures of it turned on if its 9.2 and below. This is especially true of parents buying them for the kids. I was surprised to see how some of them actually made use of it when their firmware were 5.0 and below even in 2015. And some I seen in person were 2.2.

But anyways my thought process on this is I hope no 9.3+ exploit gets out before the 3ds is dead. It would just ruin the future of good games coming out.

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
Considering they haven't even managed to break the 9.5 encryption for N3DS yet, I doubt they've got anything like this up their sleeve.

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure they'll break 9.5 encryption at some point, be it "soon" or not, but I don't see them finding a 9.9 exploit, Youtube and Ironfall might be used as entry points at some point(9.2 or lower) and Gateway might once again not require any hardware to install on N3DS (more youtube than ironfall, since ironfall is not supported on < 9.5 systems).

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wait, if they had 9.9 exploit they would've said now instead of waiting for a new nint update, what if it gets patched and people with sky3ds or some others update to the latest firmware?

Just look at 9.2 announcement

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The second gateway updates they're card to emulate a real cart, just like every other ds/dsi and sky3ds where it just registers as a real game then they could support max firmware. The chip on the gateway is a reprogrmmable memory that allows it to update on the fly,(as seen before when 9.0 compatibility came out. All they need to do is program it to do so. But they're lazy and maybe trying to rake in more money, or maybe the chip memory is not that big...

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP