Hacking Gateway 9.9 Speculation Thread

Do you think Gateway will come out with a 9.9 exploit?

• Yes, they have had it all along and are waiting for it to be patched.

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Yes, they will find out how.

Votes: 52 21.8%
  • Maybe eventually.

Votes: 75 31.4%
  • No way. (why not?)

Votes: 19 7.9%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • None of the above, they will drop the 3DS scene due to CFW

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The Cubic Ninja exploit was announced on Nov 17th of last year, was patched around Dec 8th, and Gateway's exploit was released 10 days later on Dec 18th.

It seems like they may have had this up their sleeve all along and were just waiting for it to be patched so that they could support as many firmware versions as possible.

Do you think Gateway will come out with a 9.9+ exploit, and if so how long do you think before they release an exploit for newer firmwares this time around?

I'm interested in seeing what other people think about this. I'm not really sure myself, Gateway are good at what they do but they don't have magic powers.

Feel free to post your thoughts about this but please keep it clean, no flaming or shitposting.
All speculation about 9.9 support for Gateway should be kept to this thread to prevent the forum being flooded as much as possible.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think they will do it, they are a talented team, it might take so time but i have confidence in them

I chose option... Yes, they will find out how

loco365

Trophies
XP
It's hard to say. They've relied on other's works so far, so for them to come up with something original is slim. Unless someone points out a complete arm9 and arm11 exploit that can be performed without much error there may not ever be a 9.3+ solution.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's hard to say. They've relied on other's works so far, so for them to come up with something original is slim. Unless someone points out a complete arm9 and arm11 exploit that can be performed without much error there may not ever be a 9.3+ solution.
Have they really though? They used some of the same exploits Ninjhax 1.0 did, but the hardest part, being the ARM9 and ARM11 kernel exploits, were not used in anything public at the time. It's possible that they bought the information from some of the more prominent 3DS hackers at the time who had showed off their CFW on twitter and some other places though.

The fact they released their CFW only 10 days after it was patched by Nintendo seems like more than just a coincidence to me though. It's not unheard of for hackers to keep exploits private until they are patched so they can support as many firmware versions as possible. It's hard to say what will happen in the future, but they seem to be going by that rule. smealum did a similar thing by keeping Ninjhax closed source until it got patched, trying to keep it working for as long as possible after release.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ninjhax, Ironhax, Tubehax .... all of that ALONE is worth nothing for Gateway.
Gateway through Cubic Ninja was only possible because there was a ARM9 exploit (I believe that's whats necessary?) to take full control of the 3DS ... just like the CFWs are doing it.
This exploit was patched with FW 9.3+.

So speculating that GW can use IronHax and/or Tubehax is worthless w/o an exploit to do more on this system. And these chances are currently looking bad, since yellows8 already said that the 3DS is currently pretty air tight when it comes to these ARM9 exploits.

If you ask me ... Gateway will probably never support 9.9+ in terms of sysNAND. IF they happen to have an exploit for such a high FW (I repeat IF!), they will probably only use it to keep emuNAND for N3DS users up to date so big N can't patch it.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Where there's a will, there's a way.
Since we've already gotten an exploit using Ironhax/Tubehax, more or less, it may not be full-kernel, but it's still something, then there's bound to be more to it, even if it requires waiting for them to figure it out.

Reactions: Margen67

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway through Cubic Ninja was only possible because there was a ARM9 exploit (I believe that's whats necessary?) to take full control of the 3DS ... just like the CFWs are doing it.

So speculating that GW can use IronHax and/or Tubehax is worthless w/o an exploit to do more on this system. And these chances are currently looking bad, since yellows8 already said that the 3DS is currently pretty air tight when it comes to these ARM9 exploits.

If you ask me ... Gateway will probably never support 9.9+ in terms of sysNAND. IF they happen to have an exploit for such a high FW (I repeat IF!), they will probably only use it to keep emuNAND for N3DS users up to date so big N can't patch it.
You mean like this https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_browserhax_common
  • TODO: Implement support for system-version >=v9.6/v9.9 with SKATER.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

No one (except for maybe some skilled hackers who were keeping it private) knew of this ARM9 exploit until Gateway released their update though.
And moreover, the 3DS was initially considered airtight but that was proven wrong. It's difficult, nearly impossible even, to make a 100% secure system, and Gateway seem to know what they are doing.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Since we've already gotten an exploit using Ironhax/Tubehax, more or less, it may not be full-kernel, but it's still something, then there's bound to be more to it, even if it requires waiting for them to figure it out.
That's what I'm thinking too.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wish GW would do what SC team did and make proprietary emulators , yes i know DSTWO had it's own special CPU but still it would be cool

and i could care less about a new exploit, as long as they are able to keep 100% compatibility, and adding ABG and TWL _firm
is top priority for me
would be nice if they released a new FW with ABG and TWL firm as well as a method for DS injection that would put GW back on top

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I wanna trust in Gateway, i mean, they've done most of the heavy lifting for cfw devs and users.

They'll find a way, let's just wait a bit.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Lets clear up some things.

-Ninjhax 1 was released on nov 22nd, Gateway 3.0 Ultra was released on Jan 9. Not 10 days apart.
-the only thing ninjhax and gw ultra had in common was gspwn, which was widely known behind the scenes at the time. Its incredibly unlikely GW waited around just for that.

The difficult thing is getting arm9 access, which allows FIRM patching and piracy, and ninjhax had NOTHING to do with that.
So people need to forget that gw is plotting it's higher firmware support around smea's homebrew stuff. That's just BS.
They may borrow one of his entrypoints like they did with ninjhax and new3ds, but they don't have to. Entry points are a dime a dozen -- it's arm9 exploits which are difficult and very rare, and smea's endeavers have nothing to do with them.

Megaben99

I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[QUOTE=" It's difficult, nearly impossible even, to make a 100% secure system."[/QUOTE]

Sure you can, just make a system that doesn't sell like Vita :hateit:

Note - I do own and heart my Vita

Reactions: Subtle Demise

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Lets clear up some things.

-Ninjhax 1 was released on nov 22nd, Gateway 3.0 Ultra was released on Jan 9. Not 10 days apart.
-the only thing ninjhax and gw ultra had in common was gspwn which was widely known behind the scenes at the time

The difficult thing is getting arm9 access, which allows FIRM patching and piracy, and ninjhax had NOTHING to do with that.
So people need to forget that gw is plotting it's higher firmware support around smea's homebrew stuff. That's just BS.
They may borrow one of his entrypoints like they did with ninjhax and new3ds, but they don't have to. Entry points are a dime a dozen; arm9 exploits are difficult and very rare and smea's endeavers have nothing to do with them.
Indeed, but it seems like they were waiting for the right moment. I have heard rumors from semi-reputable sources that they have had an exploit for newer firmwares for a while, I don't really trust that though. If we only take their reputation into account we would all expect a release within a month or two. It's hard to base predictions on their track record, since there's not that much to go on, but if we were to base our predictions solely based on their track record then everyone would expect a release within a month or two.
In reality, that's not the case, but it's not too far off to assume they have something else up their sleeves. They're generally very secretive and only give vague hints, so it's hard to tell. They have shown incredible skill in the past though. I think they might get there eventually, but I'm really not sure.

[QUOTE=" It's difficult, nearly impossible even, to make a 100% secure system."

Sure you can, just make a system that doesn't sell like Vita :hateit:

Note - I do own and heart my Vita
:rofl:
I think there's more to it than that. But your post made me chuckle, thanks for that :lol:

Reactions: Megaben99

Tempest228

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, but it seems like they were waiting for the right moment. I have heard rumors from semi-reputable sources that they have had an exploit for newer firmwares for a while, I don't really trust that though. If we only take their reputation into account we would all expect a release within a month or two. It's hard to base predictions on their track record, since there's not that much to go on, but if we were to base our predictions solely based on their track record then everyone would expect a release within a month or two.
In reality, that's not the case, but it's not too far off to assume they have something else up their sleeves. They're generally very secretive and only give vague hints, so it's hard to tell. They have shown incredible skill in the past though. I think they might get there eventually, but I'm really not sure.
At least they're not wasting their time trying to cure cancert. :wink:

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I totally agree with all that. It just drives me crazy when people think that GW is always waiting for smea's next Big Homebrew Thing, and then magically turn it into piracy. Nuts.

They wrongly think that's what happened with Ninjhax 1, and they double-wrongly think it'll happen with Ninjhax 2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM