Hacking Gateway 3ds Vs. Sky3ds+

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's 10 am over and I still haven't slept yet so I might be not be understanding this properly especially since I just skimmed the thread, but..

What's the point of the entire discussion in the thread? He says:
- He's on 11.0 FW
- Wont be installing a hardmod (which is the only way to downgrade I believe)

So doesn't that make the answer clear? He can't install A9LH without a downgrade, and he can't use a gateway without a downgrade.

Wouldn't that automatically his only solution a sky3ds+?
I went by the original post, which said he was downgrading, thus I assumed he had an exploitable system. As well I am responding to the title of the thread. Lack of information is a real killer.
So...1. Sky dont risk u with ban as long as u use headers. Gatewait is also the same. What its software lacks? Also playing offline games w/o headers wont risk any ban...
2. When u wait in cias? Its downloading pretty fast and directly installs them (in freeshop...). The time to download CIA is faster then 3DS, cause cias are little smaller (1.7 gb vs 2 in oras and 1.3 vs 2 in xy) and it needs no transfer time from pc to sd card. And ninty's servers are pretty fast.
Actually my statement about the risk is still technically correct. You still have a risk of getting banned, you just need a private header to prevent it from happening.
Sky3DS only emulates the actual cart, thus is lacks features like homebrew and out of region games naively and countless other features that CFW's provide. It also lacks features that Gateway provides. I guess if you are just looking to play the games and nothing more, it can do that.
Not everyone uses FreeShop/CIAngel and not every game is accessible through FreeShop/CIAngel. Installing a CIA does take an extra minute, to which I personally don't care, some people do care though. In fact, it's often considered a major debate between .3DS users and .CIA users.

D

Deleted User

Yeah exactly I understand the first couple of comments since not enough info was there. But now it's just a fanboy war between cfw and flashcarts (which is hilarious considering they can co-exist lol.. It's not like we are picking one over the other)

@op, given the requirements you have:
- You can't install a9lh without downgrading
- you can't downgrade without a harmod
- you can't use gateway without downgrading
Conclusion: your only option at this point is a sky3ds+
U can downgrade from 11.x w/ hardmod with the sekret way

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I went by the original post, which said he was downgrading, thus I assumed he had an exploitable system. As well I am responding to the title of the thread. Lack of information is a real killer.

Actually my statement about the risk is still technically correct. You still have a risk of getting banned, you just need a private header to prevent it from happening.
Sky3DS only emulates the actual cart, thus is lacks features like homebrew and out of region games naively and countless other features that CFW's provide. It also lacks features that Gateway provides. I guess if you are just looking to play the games and nothing more, it can do that.
Not everyone uses FreeShop/CIAngel and not every game is accessible through FreeShop/CIAngel. Installing a CIA does take an extra minute, to which I personally don't care, some people do care though. In fact, it's often considered a major debate between .3DS users and .CIA users.
He said he dont wanna use cias, so homebrew and native out of region isnt for him... with sky3ds u can ninjhax and fet hb and region free

D

Deleted User

Also if the only gateway has over sky3ss is cfw, then installing another cfw like luma is better- it updates more then gatewait and has similar features

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Also if the only gateway has over sky3ss is cfw, then installing another cfw like luma is better- it updates more then gatewait and has similar features
Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean "free CFW + Sky3DS > Gateway" ?
In that case I disagree since you can still use a free CFW in parallel with your Gateway CFW (not at the same time obviously) so you can have all free CFW features (that Gateway still didn't implement yet, whatever they are) but also all Gateway features that are more numerous than Sky3DS's. The only moment when you can possibly have problems is when Nintendo pushes an update and Gateway doesn't support it for some time.

If you meant "free CFW > Gateway" then, well, that's another debate. When (if) NTR features get integrated in Luma, I'll say yes, but for now it depends on people's use and preferences.

D

Deleted User

Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean "free CFW + Sky3DS > Gateway" ?
In that case I disagree since you can still use a free CFW in parallel with your Gateway CFW (not at the same time obviously) so you can have all free CFW features (that Gateway still didn't implement yet, whatever they are) but also all Gateway features that are more numerous than Sky3DS's. The only moment when you can possibly have problems is when Nintendo pushes an update and Gateway doesn't support it for some time.

If you meant "free CFW > Gateway" then, well, that's another debate. When (if) NTR features get integrated in Luma, I'll say yes, but for now it depends on people's use and preferences.
You said that gateway has features that sky3ds dont, and that free cfw dont have either. What are they? I cant recall any other then the advenced cheats engine.
Im not here to argue... just to share my experience and to learn stuff that could help me...

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You said that gateway has features that sky3ds dont, and that free cfw dont have either. What are they? I cant recall any other then the advenced cheats engine.
Im not here to argue... just to share my experience and to learn stuff that could help me...
I didn't say that Gateway had features that free CFW didn't. I said free CFWs had some that Gateway didn't and Gateway had some that Sky didn't. Well at least that's what I wanted to say, not sure if I worded correctly.
Though indeed, even though I didn't mean to say it, Gateway has some features that free CFWs don't, and yeah, that's just cheats actually (at least that's the only one I still use my Gateway for sometimes).

D

Deleted User

I didn't say that Gateway had features that free CFW didn't. I said free CFWs had some that Gateway didn't and Gateway had some that Sky didn't. Well at least that's what I wanted to say, not sure if I worded correctly.
Though indeed, even though I didn't mean to say it, Gateway has some features that free CFWs don't, and yeah, that's just cheats actually (at least that's the only one I still use my Gateway for sometimes).
So u do agree that gateway = sky3ds + free cfw + cheats... so whats the point of gw? Isnt it cheaper to buy sky3ds and do a9lh?

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So u do agree that gateway = sky3ds + free cfw + cheats... so whats the point of gw? Isnt it cheaper to buy sky3ds and do a9lh?
No I don't agree.

First because there is a difference of price.
My Gateway cost me 56€. I have yet to find a Sky3DS for that price.

Second, while feature names on the right side may be the same as feature names on the left side, the features themselves are not the same at all.
Cheats for example. You have cheats on both sides, yeah. But better cheats on the left side (no need to launch a title that wastes 20 seconds everytime I boot, if I wanted that I'd use menuhax or MSET not a9lh, and that's why I said on a previous post that NTR in Luma would be great).
Or .3ds support for example. With Gateway, you drag and drop and you use. With Sky3DS, no idea what you do but I heard things about templates and whatever, stuff that I never needed with a Gateway.

So again, as I said in a previous post, it depends on people's use. If someone only wants to put unpatched offline games on the Sky3DS and doesn't care about cheats, then yeah, no need to have two CFWs (GW and Luma for example) in dual boot, just use a Sky in Luma. But if the first feature someone want is cheats, not even .3ds support since that person buys all their games, then Sky + free CFW + NTR isn't better than Gateway at all. That's why your equation may be true for some people, but since it's not for everyone, it's false in general.

D

Deleted User

No I don't agree.

First because there is a difference of price.
My Gateway cost me 56€. I have yet to find a Sky3DS for that price.

Second, while feature names on the right side may be the same as feature names on the left side, the features themselves are not the same at all.
Cheats for example. You have cheats on both sides, yeah. But better cheats on the left side (no need to launch a title that wastes 20 seconds everytime I boot, if I wanted that I'd use menuhax or MSET not a9lh, and that's why I said on a previous post that NTR in Luma would be great).
Or .3ds support for example. With Gateway, you drag and drop and you use. With Sky3DS, no idea what you do but I heard things about templates and whatever, stuff that I never needed with a Gateway.

So again, as I said in a previous post, it depends on people's use. If someone only wants to put unpatched offline games on the Sky3DS and doesn't care about cheats, then yeah, no need to have two CFWs (GW and Luma for example) in dual boot, just use a Sky in Luma. But if the first feature someone want is cheats, not even .3ds support since that person buys all their games, then Sky + free CFW + NTR isn't better than Gateway at all. That's why your equation may be true for some people, but since it's not for everyone, it's false in general.
Ur right about the cheats, and even with ntr the cheats of gateway are still better. In sky3ds+ U also drag n drop like in gw. It also has firmware that u need to update each time nintendo releases new encription if u wanna use the new games that use it (happend less then 7 times in the whole 3ds's life). In blue/red (old ) sky u have a really easy program that is one step b4 drag n drop, which have that template which u download once and never update. Ur right that gw is easier (somewhat) bu u miss the whole setup it needs in the first setup (backup nand, make emunand etc) which sky dont have. It has a setup which is much easier and done only one time, and updates rarely where gw updates more often.
Ur right about price, i wasnt aware, but u need also to downgrade to use it, which cant be done with gw alone, while sky can downgrade from <10.7.
If one only wants to play 3ds phisical roms its easier to use sky which has close to no setup and no fw version limits...

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ur right about the cheats, and even with ntr the cheats of gateway are still better. In sky3ds+ U also drag n drop like in gw. It also has firmware that u need to update each time nintendo releases new encription if u wanna use the new games that use it (happend less then 7 times in the whole 3ds's life). In blue/red (old ) sky u have a really easy program that is one step b4 drag n drop, which have that template which u download once and never update. Ur right that gw is easier (somewhat) bu u miss the whole setup it needs in the first setup (backup nand, make emunand etc) which sky dont have. It has a setup which is much easier and done only one time, and updates rarely where gw updates more often.
Ur right about price, i wasnt aware, but u need also to downgrade to use it, which cant be done with gw alone, while sky can downgrade from <10.7.
If one only wants to play 3ds phisical roms its easier to use sky which has close to no setup and no fw version limits...
It wasn't so annoying in your smaller posts, but can you please write full words?...

Anyway. Yeah, I "missed" the whole part where you setup emuNAND and stuff to use a Gateway... because your whole point was "gateway = sky3ds + free cfw + cheats", and the same setup time is present on the right side for the free CFW.

D

Deleted User

It wasn't so annoying in your smaller posts, but can you please write full words?...

Anyway. Yeah, I "missed" the whole part where you setup emuNAND and stuff to use a Gateway... because your whole point was "gateway = sky3ds + free cfw + cheats", and the same setup time is present on the right side for the free CFW.
I mean if you want to just run 3ds cart roms and not use cia then sky3ds's setup is by far shorter then gateway's

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I mean if you want to just run 3ds cart roms and not use cia then sky3ds's setup is by far shorter then gateway's
Which is what I wrote here.
So again, as I said in a previous post, it depends on people's use. If someone only wants to put unpatched offline games on the Sky3DS and doesn't care about cheats, then yeah, no need to have two CFWs (GW and Luma for example) in dual boot
Except that my sentence continued with some Luma stuff since, once again, that was your point. But now you just seem to change your point at every post just to feel like you're not wrong even though we don't even disagree.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So Gateway>everything except a9lh, CFW and CIAs? Also, how do you launch games with Gateway?
Well, "Gateway>a9lh" isn't homogeneous since Gateway is a CFW and a9lh is more of an entrypoint. And "Gateway>CFW" doesn't mean anything either since Gateway is still a CFW.
And no, Gateway isn't superior to free CFWs, both sides have advantages and inconvenients. If people had to choose though, Gateway would lose (since its only advantage is more convenients cheats than NTR's basically, and that's not really worth 50€).

To launch games with Gateway, you have two choices. Either use CIAs like in any other CFW or put .3ds/.3dz filez on your red cart, press SELECT on the Home menu, have a menu to select your rom and from then, your 3DS thinks that the cartridge for that game is inserted.

HyperT

Trophies
XP
Country
I wanted to answer something about OP's specific case but now I don't get shit. Doesn't want to install a tricky hardmod which would be the only way to get to 10.4, wants to install a9lh instead (wtf already) then doesn't want to install a9lh features but use a flashcard instead. Ok then.

And for private headers, where do you get $1 games? By getting second hand ones? Who tells you their headers are not used by someone already?
Yea OP really needs to state firmware version - I'm guessing its 11.0.33.

And it seems the biggest + the OP wants is that it's a flashcart - but no one has pointed out that these [gateway red or sky3ds (non-orange)] aren't like the DS flashcarts. The Gateway is just an emunand setup right? Sky3ds is almost like a ds flashcart [esp. orange version] - where you copy/paste roms to an sdcard and they run except that there isn't a dedicated menu as they are emulating real official carts.

If the OP is on 11.0.33 and can't/won't hardmod/dsiware downgrade the Sky3ds is the only option.

Last edited by HyperT,

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yea OP really needs to state firmware version - I'm guessing its 11.0.33.

And it seems the biggest + the OP wants is that it's a flashcart - but no one has pointed out that these [gateway red or sky3ds (non-red)] aren't like the DS flashcarts. The Gateway is just an emunand setup right? Sky3ds is almost like a ds flashcart [esp. red version] - where you copy/paste roms to an sdcard and they run except that there isn't a dedicated menu as they are emulating real official carts.

If the OP is on 11.0.33 and can't/won't hardmod/dsiware downgrade the Sky3ds is the only option.

Except sky3ds isn't just copy pasting games. At least not for the red/blue button version. You need diskwriter to write your roms to the sd card. Besides that there is always the issue of headers because if op wants to play online he'd better get a private header to not get banned.

rad3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a gateway. I like it.
That said, I have had it since before the current style of CFW was a thing. I don't think I would recommend buying one nowadays. Just not enough for the price, it makes sense to keep using one you already have, but to buy one today seems meh.
Gateway, I find, makes syncing saved data between multiple consoles very easy if for some reason you have more than one 3ds.
I don't see that much of a point to sky3ds, but if you find one for super cheap then idk why not. It's kinda cool to collect historic flash cards anyways.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Gateway, I find, makes syncing saved data between multiple consoles very easy
That's true but JKSM is also very easy, and you have the option to hold different save files for the same game at once instead of copying files on and off the SD card like Gateway (and you can name them unlike Gateway where they are always called the title id of the game).

Reactions: rad3ds

rad3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's true but JKSM is also very easy, and you have the option to hold different save files for the same game at once instead of copying files on and off the SD card like Gateway (and you can name them unlike Gateway where they are always called the title id of the game).
I'll have to check it out. I'm a little out of the loop. Last time I dealt with cia saves it was SVDT and save data filer, which work but are a pain and can only do one game at a time.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'll have to check it out. I'm a little out of the loop. Last time I dealt with cia saves it was SVDT and save data filer, which work but are a pain and can only do one game at a time.
With JKSM you can backup every save file at once and it will just name them the time stamp when you made the backup :-) with Gateway saves though it's still a pain - you have to name the save files something in particular (so only one on the root at a time) and of course have the game selected in the cartridge slot icon. So if you only played Gateway games you'd still be recommended to just copy the save files occasionally as a backup.

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: rad3ds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol